Pattaya – success in excess

snoop1130

Pattaya – success in excess

by Leonard H. Le Blanc III 

9203-1170x780.jpg

Pattaya Beach, the largest and most important seaside resort area in Asia, had a modest beginning more than six decades ago. It is unimaginable the meteoric rise that Pattaya has experienced since its humble beginning as a sleepy fishing village. Nothing more than a flat, slightly curving bay with a stretch of fine beach sand and sparkling water along the eastern shore of the Gulf of Thailand, it was simply an inlet for local fishermen. However, Pattaya has become the true international byword for bright sunshine, clear skies, overdoses of fun, lurid entertainment, sex in excess, and hearty-partying on a worldwide basis.

Named after the monsoonal winds that blow from the Southwest to the Northeast at the start of the rainy season, Pattaya first became famous in Thai history as the general area where General Phraya Tak (later King Taksin) regrouped his army after the fall of the former Siamese capital of Ayutthaya in 1767. From this lowest ebb in the country’s fortunes, General Phraya Tak moved to quickly retake the kingdom from invaders and permanently expel them. Things have been on a virtually continuous uphill climb for Thailand – and Pattaya – ever since.

The earliest tale on the beginning of Pattaya as a rollicking, rock-‘em, sock-‘em, phenomenal, gaudy tourist resort is mired in the hazy mists of ancient history. From most sources, it has been stated that maybe 100 GIs on leave status, riding 4-5 trucks, showed up on 29 June 1959 from Korat Thai Air Force Base in Nakhon Ratchasima. They rented the resort home (or houses) on what is now ‘Walking Street’ from a Khun Phraya Sunthorn. (Some sources say this seminal event happened in April 1961 or June 1962). All except the first U.S. Air Force personnel didn’t even arrive at Kh\orat Thai Air Force Base until April 1962 and there were just 15 of them. This fact makes all these tales (and dates) highly unlikely. In any event, at least by 1964, when the first bar was recorded to have opened in Pattaya, there were at least some tourists. These visitors were the ones who supposedly initiated the word-of-mouth on Pattaya’s many charms and laidback, relaxing attractions. But the word was very slow to be spread due to international travel and tourism was still in infancy as far as Thailand was concerned.

Full Story: https://expatlifeinthailand.com/travel-and-leisure/pattaya-success-in-excess/

expat.png

-- © Copyright Expat Life in Thailand 2020-12-11
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Of course it will bounce back.

Millions of men all over the world who are forced into physical purgatory by governments, religion and controlling females will always desire to come to Pattaya to enjoy themselves. It will bounce back big time I think lots of frustration and stress out there men are salivating to come enjoy the wonderful things Pattaya and Thailand have to offer.

Salivating may get you a discount if you say ello and ask nicely ????

13 minutes ago, Leaver said:

What about the temples and Thai culture?   ????

We have that too. There are hundreds of important temples and shrines around Chonburi and Pattaya including highly reverred meditation retreats. Pattaya is steeped in food culture with nearly all kinds of food represented here. Pratumnak is a lovely location with statuary and verdant pathways based around big Buddha not to be confused with the Buddha mountain near the temple complex with the ancient Chinese terracotta warriors. Pattaya has several beaches and is nearby to jungle, mountains,  rice paddies and is in fact a great location. The problem is with Pattaya is those footie fan  type tourists who as with the Costa del Sol try to import and impose their limited cultural values whilst being in total ignorance of the depths of what the area has to offer. Thus sneering  references to temples and palaces. Such a life style is not incompatible with the night life and the vice life and most girls know this too

Edited by Nout

12 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I like your dad !

When he came back in 2012 without mum we made up for it.
Late dark side brunch,, lunch at Kinaree, then afternoon tea at Soi halfadozen,  off to Soi 7/8, pop into Buffalo Bar, hit the phone booth and then after 8.30 Walking Street for the GGs.

Every father and son should have two weeks in Pattaya without mum before they die. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nout said:

We have that too. There are hundreds of important temples and shrines around Chonburi and Pattaya including highly reverred meditation retreats. Pattaya is steeped in food culture with nearly all kinds of food represented here. Pratumnak is a lovely location with statuary and verdant pathways based around big Buddha not to be confused with the Buddha mountain near the temple complex with the ancient Chinese terracotta warriors. Pattaya has several beaches and is nearby to jungle, mountains,  rice paddies and is in fact a great location. The problem is with Pattaya is those footie fan  type tourists who as with the Costa del Sol try to import and impose their limited cultural values whilst being in total ignorance of the depths of what the area has to offer. Thus sneering  references to temples and palaces. Such a life style is not incompatible with the night life and the vice life and most girls know this too

This one at Ang Sila is quite spectacular.

Ang Sila 141215.jpg

• Like 1

Pattaya will return, but it won't be the same.  While the "entertainment" will still be there - Thai women know an easy Baht when they see one - far more of it will be away from the sea.  Soi Bukhao has opened right up, and some bars are venturing up the Soi's to Third Road.

Personally, I hope that Walking Street comes back for the tourists.  I've hated it for the last few years, but if it keeps the "two week millionaires" away from me, that's a good thing.  ????

Although it's empty at the moment, some bars are doing better than OK, they've changed thier business practices to attract those of us who are still here.  There's always money to be made if you know how.

12 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Keeps him out of the bar in the morning hours....lol...????????????

I can multi task. I can write about my experiences to make a contribution to a thread that is nosediving. Not really your business to question when I choose to make contributions. Your attempt at being funny or insightful fails and I suspect you represent the kind of tourist who I tried to outline as being a major contributer to the decline of Thailand. Are you here now BTW?