Expats hailed! Foreigners living in Thailand called "heroes" for leading the way in Thai tourism recovery

rooster59

37 minutes ago, miamiman123 said:

Nah, the Thai BOT knows what it’s doing...they are helping to finance the purchase of those Ferrari’s and vacation homes and education for the kids in the USA schools.

no tools in the tool box and it’s gonna get worse 29 to 28 coming

Just read a finance op-ed in which they indicated the USD could slide another 20% by the beggining of 2022 as the economy in the US is in dire straights and vaccines are rolled out.  They said the dollars fall is a boon to the Chinese Yuan as well as the Euro.

3 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

Do you have any numbers to backup your dim view of how little we actually contribute into the Thai economy?

Sure there are around 50 million Thai people spending every day (allowance for pre school taken into account) and only circa 200,000 expats

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Sure there are around 50 million Thai people spending every day (allowance for pre school taken into account) and only circa 200,000 expats

Look at the pension of an expat ( which is in a major foreign currency and adds to thai's forex reserves) and the salary of thai people. If thai's were so great then you wouldn't see hundreds of thousands of thai women seeking a foreigner partner. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, lovethai123 said:

Look at the pension of an expat ( which is in a major foreign currency and adds to thai's forex reserves) and the salary of thai people. If thai's were so great then you wouldn't see hundreds of thousands of thai women seeking a foreigner partner. 

You actually believe what you post?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, wealthychef said:

Definitely the kind of questions every hero asks first:  "What's in it for me?"  The expats here are obviously far, far from deserving any real benefits from this designation, as it's clearly farcical to pretend our selfish lifestyle here is heroic.  Most of us picked up on that and understand that Thailand does not owe us anything. 

Not talking about anybody owing anybody anything. Simply saying that those of us who live here long term, work here legally, pay taxes, support our families and the economy in general, not only in these dire times, but year after year, would like to be treated as "members of the community". We'd like to be treated equally and enjoy the same "privilages" the locals enjoy. As other members have pointed out, things like paying the local fare when entering national parks or not having to register our whereabouts every 90 days. A thorn in my side is that, despite a well paying job plus having all the documents, contracts, visas, etc., I am still, after 11 years here, treated like somebody who's going to do a runner. A case in point is applying for a cc. Simply too much hassle so I gave up. 

I'm definitely not here for the lifestyle. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, djayz said:

Not talking about anybody owing anybody anything. Simply saying that those of us who live here long term, work here legally, pay taxes, support our families and the economy in general, not only in these dire times, but year after year, would like to be treated as "members of the community". We'd like to be treated equally and enjoy the same "privilages" the locals enjoy. As other members have pointed out, things like paying the local fare when entering national parks or not having to register our whereabouts every 90 days. A thorn in my side is that, despite a well paying job plus having all the documents, contracts, visas, etc., I am still, after 11 years here, treated like somebody who's going to do a runner. A case in point is applying for a cc. Simply too much hassle so I gave up. 

I got numerous CC's without any hassle, even through the company as a director.

KBank will give you a CC with 3-6 payslips and WP. 

KTB need you to be working here for 2+ years before you are eligible. 

Must have WP in either case. No experience with any other banks but KBank were incredibly easy to deal with, minimal paperwork and card came within days of application at the branch.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

Look at the pension of an expat ( which is in a major foreign currency and adds to thai's forex reserves) and the salary of thai people

Like the UK pension at about 30,000 b a month?  The worst pension in any developed country and below the poverty level of most western countries.

I know many massage or bar girls that make more then that. Even government workers make more. I bet many Thais could care less about certain ex-pat pensioners..

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Like the UK pension at about 30,000 b a month?  The worst pension in any developed country and below the poverty level of most western countries.

I know many massage or bar girls that make more then that. Even government workers make more. I bet many Thais could care less about certain ex-pat pensioners..

Don’t worry, misery loves company.  BoT’s plan is to bring all western currencies down to a level whereby we cannot live here.  After all, they got submarines, bullet trains and some sweet foreign inflows rolling in every day.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

support for the women is significant. 

I liked the "support for the women" part. The fact is that regular thais would never accept those sinners. Girls working in bars?? A thai would never be with them unless he doesn't mind pimping his wife. But over here in Thailand, foreigners get into serious relationship with these women. Marry them , make kids, send her kids to school/college etc etc.

The amount may be equal to a drop in thai thai bucket but it matters to the people who are reaping befits out of that foreigner. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I know many massage or bar girls that make more then that.

Tell to the girl, 

oh baby,  my govt send me money 30000 in one month. i no like u massage another man. will u stay with me same same wife. i take care u . we stay together.

She would be ready to leave her " high paying job " to stay with the foreigner usually for free. She needs food and sheltar to begin with. Pocket money, sending money home etc comes eventually but the man needs to draw a line. If that high earning bar girl could find a 10000 baht job somewhere, its good for her, She could manage her parent's  demands. These girls always choose a housewife role instead of a bar/massage job. 

Why is that? Because all that extra high income comes from jobs she doesn't wanna do. She is doing it because she is waiting for someone. She doesn't like it. She doesn't enjoy being touched by every tom , dick and harry. She needs someone to take care of her and she keeps waiting for someone to ask her for this.. 

4 hours ago, The Now Factor said:

Where do i go to get my badge??

DIY ????????

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I bet many Thais could care less about certain ex-pat pensioners..

Even if the foreigner step father sends these thais to an expensive college, buys a nice motor bike etc, they would never care. 

Thais don't like foreigners. This is my personal opinion. They like the money they bring. and that's all. Quite evident from how they have started behaving with foreigners in past few years. Pretty hostile I would say. And that is not just to my countrymen. Even young handsome good looking European tourists fall prey to their hostility and anger. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, djayz said:

My mother told me not to overstay my welcome.  If you don't feel welcome, maybe you aren't.  I sometimes think that the truth is that Thailand wants to just be Thailand and live in a tiny island jungle dream and be left alone, but because of Western military expansion a few years back, they had no choice but to engage with us.  I think we would all do them a favor if we just let them live the way they want to in peace instead of invading them and telling them to welcome us.  It's a silly pipe dream, but no more silly than you wanting Thais to treat you in a way that does not align with their own cultural beliefs just to make you feel more welcome.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 473geo said:

Yes I see your point now... 200,000 retired expats @ 65,000 baht per month doesn't mean squat ????

Edited by BobinBKK
Spelling

On 12/12/2020 at 9:04 PM, Cali farong said:

Thailand is still a magnet for tourists.  Theses experts are delusional,

and now they appreciate expats.  Prove it by making the immigration process less troublesome 

At the moment there's no need to go out the country to stay in Thailand .I just get my extension of stay at my local immigration office. Why can't it always be like this. 

it's not saving me money as I find I'm spending more by not having to go out of the county, never mind .

On 12/13/2020 at 10:21 AM, spidermike007 said:

It is nice to hear a positive sentiment towards us being expressed. But, if you sincerely mean it, show us. Give us direct access to the discounts being offered by the govt. for travel. Give us the low Thai entrance fee, to National parks. Give us easy and hassle free visa renewals. 

As for more investment in tourism related stuff, the exact opposite is happening, since people in the tourism industry are getting NO HELP whatsoever from this administration, and the hapless tourism dept. They are getting crushed, and money is being pulled out of, and not into the industry. 

We are heroes. We invest billions of baht into the Thai economy. We build houses for our families. We start businesses, support many Thais, buy cars and trucks, and most of us are honest and respectful people. 

Major changes need to be made, if Thailand wants to continue to enjoy the cash cow of tourism. Travelers these days simply have too many choices. Creativity is required. Progress needs to be made. Thailand cannot continue to be one of the least progressive nations on earth, and expect foreigners to tolerate that degree of ignorance. These seeds were planted over a decade ago. The hapless army has accelerated the process dramatically. If Thailand had a qualified health minister, and a slightly intelligent tourism minister, they would stop this nonsense, and realize no tourism program requiring quarantine will ever work. Period. 

I was recently in Samui. 85% of the hotels were closed. Most restaurants, alot of bars, shops and other businesses were closed, many permanently. Granted, there are some great hotel bargains right now. But, that environment is fairly depressing, seeing so much hardship. So, the lame authorities here need to wrap their minds around that. Tourists would be coming to a hugely diminished destination. Free quarantine? Might be a good place to start. Make some sacrifices, you incompetents. These issues and problems were becoming apparent long before Covid. And none were being addressed. That is part of my point. Tourism had been declining for years already. The numbers were up. But the quality of tourist was way down. And according to everyone I spoke to last year, the year before and the year before that, income was way, way down. So, "this blame it all on Covid scenario" is somewhat disengenuous. Sure, Covid is huge. And the drop now is stunning. But, my point is there were plenty of issues prior to Covid. And are any of them being addressed?

Tourism is not returning to Thailand anytime soon. If you think about it, the group that comprised perhaps 70% of all arrivals (lower to middle income Chinese and Indians) are the ones who have been hardest hit by this idiotic worldwide economic shutdown. Tourism in Thailand will never recover to even close to it's former levels, and that leaves millions out of work. Even years from now, the industry will still be a pale shadow of where it was, at it's peak. 

Look if you really want to be taken seriously drop the double pricing for park entrance rubbish, if you go once a week it may cost you an additional 20,000 a year!! You are trying to portray yourselves as affluent farang major contribution to the the Thai economy, can't you see it doesn't fit!!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Sorry you have not had the good fortune to meet one. 

My current thai gf is a wonderful woman. But I have seen how thais treat foreigners. I understand they bitterness towards my countrymen. But bitterness towards farangs is totally beyond comprehension. 

Those who earn with foreign tourists smile at our faces but anyone not dependent on tourists is always ready to fight. I dont understand why. May be because many young thais are raised in absence of a  father and there has never been a father figure to teach them how to be a man. They think fighting others who won't retaliate because of the fact that thai laws always favours a thai, makes them a real man. 

What I don't like specifically about thailand is how wives try to cheat/scam their foreign partners and how young thais have become so violent.

Look at this video. When you are listening to it, just delete the words like america and black.. rest everything told here applies to every society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENprGZXlXUk

Edited by lovethai123
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1