Thai Firm to produce 200 million doses of Covid-19 vaccine

Don Chance

why only vaccinate half the population?

how will it be decided who will and will not get the vaccine?

who will decide the people to be vaccinated?

why cant the 'journalist' who wrote this article even get the name of the Financial Times correct?

Maybe its just me but i have never trusted locally manufactured medicines somehow they don't have the same potency is the foreign big pharma ones... and why not of Pfizer or Moderna? and who is AstraZeneca? doesn't seems that any one is using them...

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Maybe its just me but i have never trusted locally manufactured medicines somehow they don't have the same potency is the foreign big pharma ones... and why not of Pfizer or Moderna? and who is AstraZeneca? doesn't seems that any one is using them...

AstraZeneca is like in the post before working with Oxford uni , and is quite a large pharma group . Their phase 3 is rounded off , but they made a error , requiring now extra research ( some people did get a 50% of 1st dose , and they had a much higher protection , but it was a mistake , and that needs to be cleared ) . They were speaking last week about working together with the Russian Sputnik 5 vaccine , since they both based on the same technique -> using a harmless vaccine as carrier for corona virus ,   a technique used for many vaccines .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sezze said:

The AstraZeneca vaccine should be stored at +2ºC to +8ºC and has a shelf life of 6 months. The vaccine does not contain any preservative. After first opening the vial, it should be used within 6 hours when stored at room temperature (up to 30ºC) or within 48 hours when stored in a refrigerator (2 to 8ºC). After this time, the vial must be discarded.

From here :

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/943663/Greenbook_chapter_14a_v3.pdf

That's good Info, cheers.

36 minutes ago, Sudarut said:

Anyone know what preservative will be used in the Astra Zeneca vaccine?  

Everything I've seen says "preservative free".

Have you "heard" something different?

All of us anti-vaxxers know that Thimerosal (also kills fungi and microbes) use has dwindled. 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Use Oxford University instead of AstraZeneca and I am sure you will trust them more.

And the Oxford Uni-AstraZeneca can be stored in regular fridges. That is hugely important in a country like Thailand.

And then there is of course the price. The American companies are dedicated to make a huge profit with this.

ow

Well, how could we trust AZ after the ridiculous announcement they made in their panic response to the release of the two US vaccines? Releasing an effectiveness range of 62-90% shows the level of control they've had during their testing phases. It is a real bummer that this the one we'll get here...

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sezze said:

After first opening the vial, it should be used within 6 hours when stored at room temperature (up to 30ºC) or within 48 hours when stored in a refrigerator (2 to 8ºC). After this time, the vial must be discarded.

So same as a good Malbec then ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Use Oxford University instead of AstraZeneca and I am sure you will trust them more.

And the Oxford Uni-AstraZeneca can be stored in regular fridges. That is hugely important in a country like Thailand.

And then there is of course the price. The American companies are dedicated to make a huge profit with this.

_115722586_more_vaccines_compared_v6-nc.

Did they choose  the Oxford Uni AstraZeneca one because it's the cheapest ?

regards Worgeordie 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Did they choose  the Oxford Uni AstraZeneca one because it's the cheapest ?

regards Worgeordie 

Would that be bad?

And do you think the other vaccines are more expensive because they are so much more expensive to produce? Or because the companies want to make more profit?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sezze said:

200 million doses of Vaccine , for 50% of population ? They counted again how many Thai people there are ? New calculator ... 1+1+1=4 +1 =8 ?

Read the story fully. 

Quote: 'AstraZeneca to Make COVID-19 Vaccine for Southeast Asia'. Not just Thailand.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

However, Nakorn Premsri told the Financial Time that Thailand was also in talks with other parties, including producers in China, Russia and India, for the possible import of other vaccines.

I think I'll pass on these jabs.

Any one know of a time frame for when the jabs will be ready here?

Edited by Jeffr2

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Would that be bad?

And do you think the other vaccines are more expensive because they are so much more expensive to produce? Or because the companies want to make more profit?

It's always the later

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

The following is a matter of public record, and has been disclosed publicly...

Established in 2009, Siam Bioscience has a mission to support and elevate the country's medical system and improve the quality of life of Thais.

The Crown Property Bureau is the sole owner of the company.

Siam Bioscience has four subsidiaries -- Siam Bioscience, Apexcela, Abinis and Innobiocosmed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Why only half?!?

Targets to achieve herd immunity are over 70 percent. 

5 hours ago, samsensam said:

why only vaccinate half the population?

how will it be decided who will and will not get the vaccine?

who will decide the people to be vaccinated?

why cant the 'journalist' who wrote this article even get the name of the Financial Times correct?

As we saw from the 1st wave early in the year, it's the urban centres where the virus was most rampant. That should come as no surprise.

51% of Thailand's population are rural dwellers and, obviously the least likely to come into contact with the virus. So, if they do not have enough vaccine for the whole population, then concentrate on the urban areas, starting with most vulnerable such as the elderly, care workers and medical staff.

Such tactics should minimize the chances of the virus spreading and, as we've already seen, Thailand is very capable of containing isolated outbreaks.

I don't think there is any cause for concern.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Do you know the details of this 62-90%?

Maybe it's 62% effective for people like X and 90% effective for people like Y.

I don't know the details but I am pretty sure the vaccine wouldn't be approved by first world countries if it wouldn't work and be safe enough. And no, I don't include the USA in the group of first world countries.

the 62% is without the mistake made in test . It was presumed to get 2 injections , same size . Apparently , some doctors did read it wrong and injected a half dose for the 1st . Together with the 2nd dose being a normal 1 , apparently it created a bigger immune reaction and that number is up to 90% .

I have read that UK is about ready to give approval in next 2 weeks .

Prob Thailand chose the AstraZeneca because it doesn't require anything new . The same technique used is used for many other vaccines . Also , since Asia has got top notch places , not everywhere in Asia is that the case . The AZ one , can be very easily handled , much easier then Pfizer and Moderna ( low transport temp ) . So easier to make and easier transport .

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, sezze said:

the 62% is without the mistake made in test . It was presumed to get 2 injections , same size . Apparently , some doctors did read it wrong and injected a half dose for the 1st . Together with the 2nd dose being a normal 1 , apparently it created a bigger immune reaction and that number is up to 90% .

I have read that UK is about ready to give approval in next 2 weeks .

Prob Thailand chose the AstraZeneca because it doesn't require anything new . The same technique used is used for many other vaccines . Also , since Asia has got top notch places , not everywhere in Asia is that the case . The AZ one , can be very easily handled , much easier then Pfizer and Moderna ( low transport temp ) . So easier to make and easier transport .

These jabs are going to change over time.  They're working on a one jab vaccine, and Pfizer is working to change theirs to support higher temps.

6 hours ago, Don Chance said:

https://www.thailand-business-news.com/health/82121-thai-firm-to-produce-200-million-doses-of-covid-19-vaccine.html

Thailand is manufacturing AstraZeneca vaccine and wants to vaccine 1/2 the population.

Nothing in the article that I can see, says (or even implies) that they plan to vaccinate only half the population.

It says they plan to export around half of the planned 200 million doses. That would imply they would have enough vaccine left for about 50 million people. That's more like 70% of the population - and it assumes they won't go on to manufacture more doses, or to acquire doses of other vaccines.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Pfizer and Moderna especially Pfizer ones require special storage. Astra Zeneca is a better fit for most of the world. 

• Like 2