UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

23 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I've seen a lot of 'Remourning' going around. Remainers who cannot accept the loss of of their beloved EU masters. We need to help them move on and look to the future. 

Got news for you this IS the future! not "project fear"!

• Like 1

Last year, 200.000 Europeans left England but there was a slight increase in Remainer nations and Wales. 

Europeans are leaving England but continuing to live in Remain-voting Scotland and Northern Ireland, Government data has shown.

Researchers found that for the year ending 2019 to 2020, the population of EU-born individuals in England reduced from 3.23 million to 3.03 million. The figures for Scotland rose from 238,000 to 240,000, and a similar rise was seen in northern Ireland – from 89,000 to 90,000. The numbers for Wales also increased, from 78,000 to 83,000.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/01/14/europeans-leaving-england-staying-scotland-northern-ireland/

As a person who now lives in the U.K. i am very thankful that my fellow countrymen voted to leave the undemocratic E.u

No more so then when I see how many Brits have already received the Corvid19 vaccine, compared to how few citizens of the E.u. have received it. 

Is it any wonder that more and more Europeans are looking to exit

1 hour ago, bannork said:

British cheese exporters are cheesed off as the paperwork now required means an increase in costs for exports to Europe.

Fewer exports mean lower profits means possible job losses in the UK.

https://www.politico.eu/article/brexit-bites-into-profits-of-uk-cheese-producers/

91 percent of the U.K.’s dairy exports currently go to the EU! 

"It remains to be seen how many customers will maintain their purchases given the new arrangements that we have needed to put in place,” Hutchins said, adding the firm has already lost some EU business due to the uncertainty. 

Border disruption has so far been minimal because the EU buys stockpiled goods ahead of the new year. “We would expect to see border pressure at the end of January/early February,” said Hutchins, when stockpiles run out.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dunroaming said:

Hardly like for like.  In 1939 people weren't persuaded by a dodgy conman and his chums to walk to the cliff edge and then jump off.

The UK folk were TOLD to put on a uniform, pick up a gun and cross the channel, lest not forget, eh...????

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, 7by7 said:

My country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; what's yours?

Correct; I've not posted anything simple to say in praise of Brexit; let alone anything complicated!

But that seems to have confused you; is English your first language?

I can't speak for yours, but my country is a democracy and we citizens are allowed to criticise our government. We are also allowed to campaign to change legislation; even if that legislation came about as the result of a referendum. Ask those who started campaigning to reverse the 1975 result just a few months after the result; Brexiteer hero Nige was a Johnny Come Lately to that party!

I cannot provide something positive about the debacle of Brexit because, as I have previously stated many times, I do not believe there is anything about it which is positive for my country. Positive for certain Tory MPs moving their money into the EU and Brexiteers closing their Welsh factory and reopening it in France maybe, but for the country as a whole; nothing.

It is you who claims that there are positives to my country resulting from Brexit; it is up to you to provide an example of such. That you have to resort yet again to they same four years plus old Brexiteer dodges and insults in an effort to avoid the question proves only that you cannot do so.

You mention democracy, yet you dismiss the Brexit vote....Hmmmmm, isn't that hypocritical....????

PS. Please do try not to belittle members before your rant, that is for folk who know they have lost....:cowboy:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, 7by7 said:

He is not alone. Many Brexiteers appear to believe that VE day was the 23rd June 2016, not the 8th May 1945!

That and the faded dreams of Empire are all they have to sustain them as their dreams of a UK post Brexit paradise crumble into reality.

Is that an ant-British rant...?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Joy and happiness of Brexit.. M&S Food  "This is a wonderful example of why you would want longer to negotiate a trade deal." Because they have left the EU and not been processed enough to count as being made in the UK, it may be that a tariff needs to be paid to get them back into the EU, despite them having been made in the EU in the first place."

Percy Pigs become latest Brexit victim as retailer M&S warns price may rise (irishtimes.com)

Get your hands on a REAL Percy Pig - Liverpool Shopping Park

Edited by Opl
  • Like 1

Yes, exported from EU to UK, so if exported again after that they will not count as made in UK. 

"Because they have left the EU and not been processed enough to count as being made in the UK, it may be that a tariff needs to be paid to get them back into the EU, despite them having been made in the EU in the first place."

For this and other products that are imported into the UK to be exported later, all that needs to be done is not import them into the UK.

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

Blaming Brexit on remainers, excellent one! 

Now, if I read between the lines that is interesting : you a hard Brexiter, are actually beginning to acknowledge that this situation is not satisfactory? 

Beside laying blame, what exactly would you like to change in the present deal?

And how? Realistically, I mean, not with the "we hold all the cards". 

Because in this past negotiation as in the coming negotiations with the USA or China, you should understand the UK's starting position is better defined as "they hold all the cards". 

John Rentoul The Independent’s chief political commentator is putting the blame at remainers feet

We can see clearly now: Labour MPs should have voted for May’s deal. We would have left the EU with the guarantee of staying in its customs union. May said it wouldn’t be needed, and if it was it would be a “temporary” customs union, until a long-term trade deal could be negotiated, but the point about the so-called backstop was that it was a fall-back position unless it was replaced by a deal that would have the same effect.

Labour MPs should have voted for Theresa May’s Brexit deal – then the party wouldn’t be in this mess

If they had, the UK would have a soft Brexit, Boris Johnson would not be prime minister, and Labour would not be left without a hope

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/labour-corbyn-defeat-support-may-brexit-deal-a9246871.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

John Rentoul The Independent’s chief political commentator is putting the blame at remainers feet

We can see clearly now: Labour MPs should have voted for May’s deal. We would have left the EU with the guarantee of staying in its customs union. May said it wouldn’t be needed, and if it was it would be a “temporary” customs union, until a long-term trade deal could be negotiated, but the point about the so-called backstop was that it was a fall-back position unless it was replaced by a deal that would have the same effect.

Labour MPs should have voted for Theresa May’s Brexit deal – then the party wouldn’t be in this mess

If they had, the UK would have a soft Brexit, Boris Johnson would not be prime minister, and Labour would not be left without a hope

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/labour-corbyn-defeat-support-may-brexit-deal-a9246871.html

The issue is that whatever they voted for was temporary only -- i.e. kicking the can down the street. 

Politically it would make no sense since the net effect of something like this is that Brexit that core parts of the Conservative and Brexiters were pushing was a full Brexit, but this deal would have just spread out the effects over a longer term -- making it harder to trace back to what caused it.   It was more an attempt to hide the impact from the voting public, not staying in the common market long term.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

20 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Not a surprise -- there was a lot of effort to bring up ports to handle the bypass (at least in mainland EU -- I suspect Ireland as well). 

Not a surprise, maybe, but still another soft splat as the fan is hit. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Tiger1980 said:

As a person who now lives in the U.K. i am very thankful that my fellow countrymen voted to leave the undemocratic E.u

No more so then when I see how many Brits have already received the Corvid19 vaccine, compared to how few citizens of the E.u. have received it. 

Is it any wonder that more and more Europeans are looking to exit

You need to look at the systems - the EU is no more or less democratic than the UK . UK has the highest per capita rate of Covid infection in Europe - it is higher that the USA as well.

• Like 1