Pattaya to rebrand for sustainable growth

webfact

6 minutes ago, smiggley said:

Even at 5 baht the toilets were making more money than the beer bars they were servicing. Now no customers so Thai way they put the price of having a pee up.

I remember checking when I used one on the fireworks night,  Thais were paying the same price, another false belief dispelled!

I agree with the officials PATTAYA definitely needs to be rebranded:

Come to our city for "SEX"  "Booze"  and anything you want that money can buy.

Numerous reports from police and authorities regularly state that any of the afore mentioned are not available in Pattaya. So now is the time to capitalise on all of that foreign money. Forget about the wife and kids come to Pattaya to spend all your savings and make everybody happy.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

I don't know for Hooters but few bars on the sea front 

are advertising with big signs (In thai and in english) ''toilets 10 bahts''

i wouldn't be surprised if they actually do more money with that rather than selling booze

Bars that provide toilet facilities charge 10 baht. Public toilets in Britain used to charge  one penny. Such bars are providing a much needed community services at a price well worth paying.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, newnative said:

Just one, actually.   It may have been described, labeled, or branded in various ways but it's all been about making Pattaya more appealing to more groups of tourists, especially families, couples, and young singles traveling in small groups. 

A beach town should have a nice beach so Pattaya has made a big effort to improve its beach.  First it widened it and when that was done it has been doing a good job of keeping it clean--and maintaining it when storms hit and damage it.   Jomtien Beach's improvement is now getting under way, as well. 

Another big effort is to improve the city's infrastructure.  If you live here, you know the massive road work that has been going on just about everywhere to improve the roads and provide better flood control.  You can see some of the results already with the improved roads in Cosy Beach, on Pratamnak Road with new turning lanes, and in other areas.  Burying the overhead wires is another big project and we can finally see some progress with North Pattaya Road--which looks great now that all the wires are buried.   Some sidewalk work is also being done.   

Private industry is doing its part, as well.  Two new big water parks appealing to families were opened.  Tiger Park.  D'Luck Theater with its great Kaan show appealing to all ages.  The new Legend Siam.  A very nice new golf course near Silver Lake.  The Dolphinarium.  Nong Nooch has added a large convention and exhibition facility. 

Terminal 21 spurred a massive redevelopment to the north Pattaya part of town.  Central Center morphed into Central Marina with an extensive makeover.  Tiffanys remodeled.  Many smaller businesses spruced up.  Very nice new hotels were built: Mytt, Grand Palazzo, Centre Point, Brighton, and Ozo, plus other smaller, boutique hotels.  Amari added a large, new second hotel with suites to serve the growing family tourist market.  Some nice, new restaurants, too, have opened around town.  

Even with covid, Pattaya's makeover continues.  Grande Centre Point is building a second massive project in Wong Amat.  Discovery Beach Hotel is adding a third wing.  A large, new highrise hotel is going up opposite Central Festival, as is another one on Naklua Road.  Some nice, new condo projects are going forward around town, including the massive Copacabana and two Riviera projects in Jomtien, several highrise condo projects on 3rd Road,  and Arom in Wong Amat.  Makeovers continue on older projects such as Grand Sole Hotel.  If you drive down 2nd Road, apparently there's something new planned on a large, empty lot that involves a Boeing 747.

According to the mayor, Pattaya attracted 15 million visitors in 2019, 10 million international ones,  before covid hit, so all the efforts were starting to pay off.  I expect someone will be along shortly to say no, no, no, Pattaya was dying long before covid hit.  They talked to so and so and their business was bad for years.  But, they never explain why a dying Pattaya is attracting so much new private industry development--even now.  

You seem well informed on all these big projects

and you know probably that water is life

then just out of curiosity with all these millions of people coming soon

how Pattaya plans to handlle the drought problem already at a critic level

every year with fewer people living in the area ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

You seem well informed on all these big projects

and you know probably that water is life

then just out of curiosity with all these millions of people coming soon

how Pattaya plans to handlle the drought problem already at a critic level

every year with fewer people living in the area ?

In the article the mayor mentions several projects being considered to address the water issues but I agree that  providing enough water as Pattaya grows is critical.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, newnative said:

In the article the mayor mentions several projects being considered to address the water issues but I agree that  providing enough water as Pattaya grows is critical.  

In the article i read some improvment planned in wastewater treatment

and to supplie Koh larn island with fresh water, but absolutely nothing about

supplyng the city with freshwater.

Water shortage and drought were already a long time major issue before covid

and if they really plan to increase the numbers of people living here, as it seems to be the project

and if they really want  ''''Pattaya to rebrand for sustainable growth''

then imo this water problem should be adressed in priority before all the others

I know it's more a provincial problem, but afaik nothing stop the city to create his own reservoirs

there is enough free lands few kms from the city center for that.

21 hours ago, newnative said:

Amari added a large, new second hotel with suites to serve the growing family tourist market

Also has large ballrooms/ event type venues which should bring conventions and Hi-So weddings and celebrations. We used to meet there for the Expats Club, now they are always occupied and we cannot get in, even in these Covid times. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Also has large ballrooms/ event type venues which should bring conventions and Hi-So weddings and celebrations. We used to meet there for the Expats Club, now they are always occupied and we cannot get in, even in these Covid times. 

I think Grand Centre Point 2 going up in  Wong Amat/Naklua will also have these types of facilities also, as does, I believe, the fairly new Mytt Hotel.  

On 12/25/2020 at 4:43 AM, webfact said:

to become a city that appeals to tourists, businesses and long-term stayers.

They'd fare better if they scrapped the feudal house-owning scams and allowed foreigners to own their homes 100%.  This is a pipedream as thousands of lawyers/auditors/tax collectors depend on these scams for most of their income. All other countries should reciprocate - Thaksin bought 3 mansions & a football club in UK.