Thai authorities prepare measures to screen inbound travellers to prevent the spread of COVID-19

rooster59

Thai authorities prepare measures to screen inbound travellers to prevent the spread of COVID-19

Tarin Angskul

5788eab48ea99c833c5e53ee7f84b92f_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Mr. Tanee Sangrat, Director-General of the Department of Information and Spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, reiterated Thai authorities’ preparedness and rigorous measures to screen inbound travellers to prevent the spread of COVID-19 as the inward travel numbers rose.

The Foreign Ministry’s Spokesperson stated that travellers from abroad, Thais and foreign nationals alike, are required to go through rigorous COVID-19 screening procedure. All travellers are requested to obtain a Certificate of Entry (COE) from a Thai embassy or consulate-general, a Fit-to-Fly / Fit-to-Travel Health Certificate, as well as a medical certificate, issued not more than 72 hours before departure, with a laboratory result by RT-PCR technique indicating that COVID-19 is not detected. All travellers are required to undertake a mandatory government controlled 14 day quarantine period at designated facilities in their port of arrival. Thai nationals are entitled to stay, at no cost, at one of the 27 State Quarantine (SQ) facilities with 2,429 rooms currently available, or at one of the 46 Alternative Local Quarantine (ALQ) facilities located nation-wide with 4,683 rooms available. Foreign nationals are required to reserve an accommodation at their own expense at Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) facilities in one of the 121 hotels, with 15,550 rooms available. Thai nationals who are willing to absorb the cost of quarantine can also opt to stay at the ASQ.

The MFA Spokesperson further elaborated that, during the 14-day quarantine, the travellers are required to undergo COVID-19 diagnostic test by RT-PCR technique twice. The first test shall be taken between Day 3 to 5, and the second test shall be taken between Day 11 to 13 of the period of quarantine. If COVID-19 is not detected, the travellers can be released from quarantine after 14 days. An additional RT-PRC test is required for foreigners who are allowed to enter the kingdom for medical treatment, upon their arrival at the hospital.

Mr. Tanee reiterated that to facilitate travellers who wish to enter the Kingdom, the Royal Thai Government has recently relaxed visa policies and regulations as well as worked with 44 airlines to provide more semi-commercial flights to Thailand. As a result, 145,254 Thais and 54,461 foreigners have entered Thailand. Nevertheless, relevant agencies are well prepared and maintain rigorous public health measures to prevent COVID-19 import cases. Among all Thai returnees, 1,085 infection cases were reported, equaling 0.75 per cent of all inbound travellers. All COVID-19 patients will be treated until they are fully recovered before being discharged.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-12-27

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Stradavarius37 said:

How is that different from what they have been doing for months and months?  Better question - what is their policy for travelers who have been vaccinated???  

I am not sure they have one, besides it takes a while for the vaccine to kick in and create the limited immunities they will provide and some require a second injection 1 month after the first.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Title of the OP makes no sense as all travelers incoming, whether Thai or foreigner have been being tested every since they started this system of testing and quarantine.  And as the article states the Thai's can have free ASQ and testing.  That may be a shock to some on TV who insist they have to pay for the quarantine and do not get it free.  They pay for an ASQ location but not a Thai Government location.  If memory serves me correctly there was a Samut Prakan ASQ foreigner who had completed the quarantine and was released after being negative only to a few days later to be found positive for Covid as well as the virus being found inside of the ASQ on surfaces.  Who is to say that this outbreak we are seeing now did not move around slowly and then mutate into what we are seeing now.  I know the strains of the virus have been determined, but do we really want to believe that all had been traced and tested as well as those coming in from the Northern border with Chiang Rai.

I beg to differ. Correct me if I am wrong but every time I have read « unofficial » accounts about Thai Nationals returning to Thailand they did not have to present a negative test prior to boarding. 
That is quite a change and a justified one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, alyx said:

I beg to differ. Correct me if I am wrong but every time I have read « unofficial » accounts about Thai Nationals returning to Thailand they did not have to present a negative test prior to boarding. 
That is quite a change and a justified one

Sorry I did not mean prior to arrival.  Testing upon arrival was what I was trying to say. Yes only non thaus need a prior 72 hour covid test. Ex-wife and daughter are returning with the new American husband.  He is required to have these test prior and they are not.  An inequity which needs to be fixed as well, either make it across the board or don't.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sorry I did not mean prior to arrival.  Testing upon arrival was what I was trying to say. Yes only non thaus need a prior 72 hour covid test. Ex-wife and daughter are returning with the new American husband.  He is required to have these test prior and they are not.  An inequity which needs to be fixed as well, either make it across the board or don't.

Agreed but now it seems that this rule applies to everyone which makes sense (

What does not make sense is the COE since they have relaxed the conditions of entry 

38 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

But I thought these measures were already in place and have been for quite a while ............????

You're experiencing an episode of Deja Vu, it happens a lot when you listen to those government's talking heads...

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

Even if travellers were able to instantly test negative on arrive they’d still be required to quarantine I bet 

Quarantine was and is compulsory for everyone ...especially because there has never been a test on arrival ( or am I mistaken ?) 

10 minutes ago, alyx said:

Quarantine was and is compulsory for everyone ...especially because there has never been a test on arrival ( or am I mistaken ?) 

Immediately tested upon arrival and if negative off to quarantine but if positive off to tge hospital.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Immediately tested upon arrival and if negative off to quarantine but if positive off to tge hospital.

???? Are you talking of personal experience ? About Thai Nationals ? About foreigners ? 
On both accounts, from personal experience, this is not correct.

Quarantine has been compulsory for everyone ( of course, not aware of any  and unknown privileged ones ) 

19 minutes ago, alyx said:

???? Are you talking of personal experience ? About Thai Nationals ? About foreigners ? 
On both accounts, from personal experience, this is not correct.

Quarantine has been compulsory for everyone ( of course, not aware of any  and unknown privileged ones ) 

Yes quarantine is mandatory, never said it was not.  Yes I have personal experience with  friends who have returned, both Thai and Foreigners as well as talking to my HI agent just two weeks ago to see what they have been processing to get an idea of the hospital costs associated with being placed into an isolation ward even if just asymptomatic.  Prior to the latest clusters popping up if you tested positive upon arrival or while in your ASQ or the Government sponsored quarantine you would be taken straight to the hospital that has a contract for that specific ASQ or the hospital for the Thai government quarantine locations.  Basically, the testing on arrival also checks to see if you have a temperature and or symptoms, albeit the follow up PCR test results come back the next day, but if you have symptoms you are sent to the hospital and if no symptoms straight to quarantine you go.  Hope that makes it clear. 

Edited by ThailandRyan

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I am not sure they have one, besides it takes a while for the vaccine to kick in and create the limited immunities they will provide and some require a second injection 1 month after the first.

Wouldn't any vaccination show a false positive due to antibodies being produced?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Thais now need to do a covid test not more than 72h before departure. 

I know that's what he said but it's not the case looking at what Embassies require for a COE or what airlines require to permit boarding.  I think he mis-spoke.

3 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

Even if travellers were able to instantly test negative on arrive they’d still be required to quarantine I bet 

Oh shock horror, this is a big question and who knows what will happen next.

But keep in mind that anybody/anywhere who has been exposed to the virus will take several days to test positive. 

33 minutes ago, treetops said:

I know that's what he said but it's not the case looking at what Embassies require for a COE or what airlines require to permit boarding.  I think he mis-spoke.

This is from Thai embassy in Stockholm/ MFA: 

"You may need a doctor's certificat assuring you are covid free, in particular concerning those from high risk countries."

It says "อาจจะ" =maybe/possibly. And as far as I understand, nothing specific about  laboratory reports. But airlines might have different requirements. 

Screenshot_20201227_131016.jpg

5 hours ago, Stradavarius37 said:

How is that different from what they have been doing for months and months?  Better question - what is their policy for travelers who have been vaccinated???  

Vaccinated ??????  Wont make any difference.

No vaccine can so far guarantee 100% effective.

Pfizer and Moderna quote 95% but this is only for clinical Covid (not measuring asymptomatic cases)

Oxford/AZ quote 70% for all, including asymptomatic cases

So nobody with a vaccine is guaranteed not to be carrying Covid asymptomatically..........therefore every person is suspect.

So this is 2021.

Everyone travelling pretty much everywhere will have to undergo PCR test before travel and/or on arrival and/or quarantine and/or self isolation.

Being vaccinated will make no difference whatsoever to travel precautions..................  until someone can assure with data 100% that their vaccine stops all forms of Covid and prevents asymptomatic transmission..........there can be no free travel.

Edited by RR2020
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

Wouldn't any vaccination show a false positive due to antibodies being produced?

No, they're not testing for antibodies, they're testing for the virus itself. Antibodies are in the blood, the COVID test is a swab from the back of the throat.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

But I thought these measures were already in place and have been for quite a while ............????

But now includes Thai nationals having a PCR test max 72hrs before departure to Thailand. Be interesting to see if the number of inbound quarantine infections now starts to decline.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

But now includes Thai nationals having a PCR test max 72hrs before departure to Thailand. Be interesting to see if the number of inbound quarantine infections now starts to decline.

Do you have a link to where this is mandatory now for Thai nationals.  My Thai ex wife and Half Thai daughter as well as her new American husband will be flying here on January 2nd.  She does not have to test nor does the daughter, but the new husband does.  He needs the test 72 hours prior where all they need is a fit to fly certificate.  They are inbound on Delta/Korean Air.  Now obviously they will be in quarantine, but at least they can stay together in The ASQ suite booked here in Bangkok.  Tried to talk her out of flying in with the latest issues, but she has plans to visit the Udon Area, while the daughter visits with me, before they head to Cha Am and the new house they bought.

I did find this on-line and it was updated just this past December 9th and again on the 24th.

ThailandPartially restricted
From December 9, 2020, the Thai government has once again authorized visa-free travel for foreign nationals from select countries / regions. Interested persons should contact their local Thai embassy or consulate to determine if they are eligible. All persons traveling to Thailand must carry proof of a negative test result for COVID-19 issued no more than 72 hours prior to departure and booking confirmation at a specially designated quarantine hotel. Foreign nationals not eligible for visa-free travel may now submit applications to their local Thai embassy or consulate for a "Special Tourist Visa" (STV), which allow for stays in Thailand of up to 90 days and may be extended twice. Prior to departing for Thailand, persons holding an STV must also obtain a "Certificate of Entry" (COE) from their local Thai embassy or consulate clearing them for travel to Thailand. Upon arrival, all persons traveling to Thailand must, at their own expense, undergo a 14-day quarantine and 3 separate tests for COVID-19. Applications for a COE are available online at the following URL: https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/ Foreign nationals are generally prohibited from entering Thailand unless they fall into one of the following categories: 1) Persons directly permitted by the Prime Minister or a "competent official" appointed by the Prime Minister to resolve issues pertaining to a state of emergency in Thailand; 2) Persons on diplomatic or consular missions or under the auspices of International Organizations or agencies, or government representatives performing official duties in Thailand to whom the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has given special permission, and their family members; 3) Non-Thai nationals who are the spouse, parent, or child of a Thai national; 4) Non-Thai nationals who hold a valid certificate of permanent residence in Thailand or who have received permission to reside in Thailand, and their family members; 5) Non-Thai nationals holding work permits or who have been granted permission from Thai government agencies to work in Thailand, and their family members; 6) Non-Thai nationals who are students at an educational institution approved by Thai authorities (with the exception of non-formal institutions under the law on private schools), and their parents or legal guardians; 7) Non-Thai nationals seeking to enter Thailand for medical treatments unrelated to COVID-19; ???? Non-Thai nationals permitted to enter Thailand under a special arrangement with a third-country or region, or who have received special permission from the Prime Minister. This may include travel for business and tourism. All travelers are advised to consult their local Thai embassy or consulate for specific information regarding travel to Thailand from their location. Persons traveling under categories 2 through 8 must apply for a "Certificate of Entry" (COE) at a Thai embassy or consulate abroad and obtain a valid Thai visa at least 15 days prior to departing for Thailand. All persons traveling to Thailand (including Thai nationals) must carry proof of a negative result for COVID-19 issued no more than 72 hours prior to departure using a reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test and hold medical insurance valid for Thailand with coverage sufficient for any unforeseen medical expenses. All persons arriving in Thailand must, at their own expense, undergo a 14-day quarantine at a designated facility and are expected to comply with all relevant pandemic control measures, including undergoing 3 separate tests for COVID-19. Commercial flights are operating on a semi-regular basis and the Thai government is organizing special repatriation flights for Thai nationals at regular intervals. The Thai government has suspended entry for persons holding the following categories of visa: transit visas (TS), sports visas (S), visas for monks and other religious visas (R), volunteers (O), and non-formal students visas (such as for language schools, diving schools, and boxing schools).

I will have to aprise my Ex, but she has the info from the Thai Consulate LA and said she and the daughter are not required.
Edited by ThailandRyan