Thailand confirms 103 new coronavirus infections

Jonathan Fairfield

Thailand confirms 103 new coronavirus infections

2020-12-27T042453Z_1_LYNXMPEGBQ02O_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Medical personnel perform a nose swab test on a local resident of a community in Bangkok, amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak in Thailand, April 28, 2020. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand on Sunday confirmed 103 new infections of the coronavirus, including 94 domestic transmissions, the government said in a statement.

The new cases also include eight found in state quarantine and one infection in a person coming from abroad who did not enter quarantine, the statement said without elaborating.

Thailand has reported a total of 6,123 cases and 60 deaths.

(Reporting by Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by William Mallard)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-27

33 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Surely if you want to get the confidence of the people, you have to give them as much information as possible.

Hiding anything makes people skeptical, and doesn't look good to the people. 

True.  I want to know who, where, when and how.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Thechook said:

I hope they change that white outer glove after every test and why is the other medical physically touching him.

Because the virus doesn't infect by burrowing through a plastic outer PPE garment and then piercing the skin and entering the body.

Coming home near Ban Laem, Chantaburi (supposedly no cases), I noticed hundreds of Thais lined up at one of those village medical centre places, that was in the border tambon. but in our village nothing. There are of course rumours flying around about infections, here, there and everywhere. There is now complete enforcement of mask wearing. I reckon they are freaked out about all the illegal Cambodian fruit pickers here in droves, that is why they were testing there. If there are cases they will get doubly penalised, for allowing them in, and not getting the fruit picked and sold to China.

• Like 1

And what of the reported 1400+ people in Samut Sakhon who supposedly tested positive in the government's mass testing there?

More days have passed, and still the results of those tests not publicly addressed or reported in the government's official statistics.

From Migrant Workers To Officials, Gov’t Fires Blame for Virus Left and Right

BANGKOK — First, it was the migrant workers to blame for the virus resurgence that saw at least 1,000 infected. Then, the crosshairs were trained on their employers, the migrant smuggling rings, local officials branded as incompetent, and even pro-democracy protesters.

But never the central government.

As different government agencies scrambled to explain and contain the outbreak in Samut Sakhon province, which has since spread to at least 20 provinces, none of them has yet to step forward and take responsibility for the mishap that led to the infections in the first place.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2020/12/24/from-migrant-workers-to-officials-govt-fires-blame-for-virus-left-and-right/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smilermike said:

How can you have someone coming in from abroad without quarantine?

Unbelievable!

Normal people have to quarantine. Diplomats, government, special circumstances, very wealthy people, and high level celebrities can get a pass. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Maybe they are not reporting the migrant positives and have them separate or wth knows what the game is with these.  Waiting to hear from my GF's family south of Bang Na, as over 1500 were tested yesterday and more being tested today in that migrant location.  As I said in an earlier post they work at either customs warehouse or at the Airport.  

Spot on. They are not reporting migrant worker positives in Samut Sakhon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dcnx said:
3 hours ago, Smilermike said:

How can you have someone coming in from abroad without quarantine?

Unbelievable!

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

Normal people have to quarantine. Diplomats, government, special circumstances, very wealthy people, and high level celebrities can get a pass. 

And ladies of a certain profession wade across the river at night.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And what of the reported 1400+ people in Samut Sakhon who supposedly tested positive in the government's mass testing there?

More days have passed, and still the results of those tests not publicly addressed or reported in the government's official statistics.

From Migrant Workers To Officials, Gov’t Fires Blame for Virus Left and Right

BANGKOK — First, it was the migrant workers to blame for the virus resurgence that saw at least 1,000 infected. Then, the crosshairs were trained on their employers, the migrant smuggling rings, local officials branded as incompetent, and even pro-democracy protesters.

But never the central government.

As different government agencies scrambled to explain and contain the outbreak in Samut Sakhon province, which has since spread to at least 20 provinces, none of them has yet to step forward and take responsibility for the mishap that led to the infections in the first place.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2020/12/24/from-migrant-workers-to-officials-govt-fires-blame-for-virus-left-and-right/

Agree. 33 provinces now I think. Said Friday before last, day of first noticed infection that it will spread. Got negative responses. As for why? Well corruption starts at the top. 

• Like 1

Up to date, I'm counting infections in 40 provinces, plus Bangkok Awful hard to control. It's not just the numbers. It's geographical.

OF COURSE, bars, pubs, restaurants, massage need to be shut NOW! Obviously, temp readings do nothing.

I believe govt (Prayuth!) is not acting is because the infections have, so far, been centred in young & middle-aged groups. And there have been no fatalities, nor are the hospital, yet, overwhelmed.

It's a giant MISTAKE to focus on fatalities alone. There are long-term consequences to Covid infection.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcnx said:

I come back Finland little over month ago. Here don't have coverment quarantine, only home quarantine for 7 days!

Ok maybe Thai can't trust people obey that. I m not get any quarantine coz i come from Thailand and that point don't have any infected there (believe who want). Everybody know it was't over in Thailand. 

Here they start vaccine program today but only small dose of vaccine arrived. Take many month before enough people have get vaccine . Maybe still can transmit virus even you have get vaccine!

I already told my "better half" that seems like im not coming home before next autum. Im not going to do all the hassle to get in there! And nice to spend summer time here in Finland anyway.

• Like 1