All gatherings banned in areas in Thailand affected by COVID-19

webfact

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

No, Ubon Ratchathani is on the list of 48 provinces that need to comply.

Or government meetings.

I am meeting with my mates around 5 p.m. to discuss the government.

Any government.

Having a beer also.

Go for it !

45 minutes ago, petedk said:

A call to whom?

The police seem to be on very good terms with these people. It seems they are very influential.

New year new start get round there with a bottle of Remy Martin XO and wish them a happy healthy new year

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

No, Ubon Ratchathani is on the list of 48 provinces that need to comply.

Oh dear, I read this bit (quoted at the bottom) and thought that meant provincial governors had a say in which places would be closed. Seeing as Ubon only has one case, I thought we might get away with it.

It looks like you're right though.

Gatherings and activities in government-designated "close surveillance zones" and "surveillance zones"  can take place if they receive prior approval from provincial governors. Household gatherings and government activities are again excepted.

Provincial governors are to declare which areas are designated maximum control, control, close surveillance and surveillance zones. They will also set their own policies on quarantine for arrivals, Dr Taweesilp said

18 hours ago, ukrules said:

Not only that, those who live in a place where things are closed down will now change their plans and go to the places where there is no COVID.

What? You mean like Londoners and other southeast Englanders?

This is the one thing that guarantees the entire country gets it, even the places where there is none.

You sound like one satisfied customer, that's a bonus.

Great work guys, I couldn't have <deleted> it up more myself while drunk even if I was trying.

Johnson, Hancock, Jenrick, Gove et al simply couldn't have done it without you.

Thanks for playing.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You sound like one satisfied customer, that's a bonus.

In response to the shutdown in the infected areas the Prachuap governor (which covers Hua Hin where I live) just shut it all down over New Year so there's no need for anyone to bother going to Hua Hin from the rest of the country because it's closed.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Oh dear, I read this bit (quoted at the bottom) and thought that meant provincial governors had a say in which places would be closed. Seeing as Ubon only has one case, I thought we might get away with it.

It looks like you're right though.

The PM has been publicly cajoling the Provincial Governor's to step up to the plate and assume responsibility for their locals for several days now. No takers so this is what happens. I recall during the first wave it took about 10 days for the provinces to all fall into line. With a second wave infection rate that surpasses that which we saw last March, this executive action isn't a surprise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

The PM has been publicly cajoling the Provincial Governor's to step up to the plate and assume responsibility for their locals for several days now. No takers so this is what happens. I recall during the first wave it took about 10 days for the provinces to all fall into line. With a second wave infection rate that surpasses that which we saw last March, this executive action isn't a surprise.

A little bit pleased to be honest - my fiance wanted to go out tonight, but I'm not in the mood after a terrible day at Immigration.

Now I don't have to be the bad guy - Blame it on Prayut!

3 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

So if a province acquires its first new Covid case today or tomorrow, all gathrings are banned/ But how are Somchai and all his friends who will be <deleted> up all day going to  know and find out about this?.

As the Thai saying goes "Up to you", or in other words do as they want and enjoy as  nothing ever gets in the way of Sanook for a Thai now does it!

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

It would be interesting to hear/get some more on-the-ground reports re this....

What exactly does "gatherings and events likely to draw crowds" mean?

Clearly, it means NYE kinds of mass gatherings and big parties.... But does it really meaning closing down all eat-in restaurants???

And of course, the actual answer to that may vary from province to province, as such things often do.

22 minutes ago, carabaothai said:

Quicker to write "in all the country" instead of a long list of provinces ????????

Well, with 76 provinces in Thailand and 48 included in this regulation, writing 'in all the country'  or 'in the whole country' would be incorrect. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The ban, which is effective immediately, applies to provinces or areas officially categorized as "maximum control zones" and "control zones", which is all 48 provinces where cases have been reported, such as:

my crystal ball told me this yesterday.    it also tells me what is in store for the following weeks or months. 

• Like 1

Thailand bans New Year gatherings to contain virus outbreak

2020-12-30T115738Z_1_LYNXMPEGBT0MQ_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Migrant workers stand in front of a closed shrimp market, amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Samut Sakhon province, in Thailand, December 20, 2020. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand imposed a ban on Wednesday on large gatherings and events across the country in an effort to contain its worst coronavirus epidemic yet during New Year, with active cases in over half of its provinces.

Authorities have asked the public to avoid travel and have imposed tighter control measures in some areas, including entertainment businesses. Targeted lockdowns have been imposed in some provincial districts.

The health ministry confirmed 250 new infections on Wednesday, among the largest number of confirmed daily cases since a big outbreak found nearly two weeks ago that was the country's largest yet.

"Today's figures made me nervous... what we don't want to see is a second or third lockdown," COVID-19 taskforce spokesman Taweesin Wisanuyothin told a briefing.

"If the situation can't be controlled, rather than count down to the New Year, we may count up (the number of cases)".

Taweesin on Tuesday said more aggressive restrictions like those seen earlier in the year may need to be imposed if the spread is not contained.

Those measures, which included closures of malls, restaurants and entertainment areas and restrictions on international travel, caused the tourism-reliant economy to contract the most in 22 years in the second quarter.

New clusters have emerged in the wake of a big outbreak this month at a seafood market near Bangkok, among mainly migrant workers from Myanmar, with cases since reported in 48 provinces.

Though low in comparison to many countries, the sharp increase in Thailand's daily cases is a setback for its efforts to keep the virus at bay, having recorded just 6,690 infections and 61 deaths overall.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat and Orathai Sriring; Editing by Martin Petty)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-31

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Over the past few nights I’ve noticed an increase in a number of smallish groups hanging about at the side of the roads. I’m not sure what they’re up to, sitting around - some appear to be chatting, some watching a portable tv, some sleeping.  Difficult to say what they are doing as they’re all wearing dark clothing. On one occasion I though about reporting them to the local police but I didn’t see any. I hope these characters are not up to no-good.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

What does this mean in terms of Tomorrow nights reserved festivities at rooftop venues for the New Years Eve celebrations.  Does this mean the reservations for the 5 hour Dinner, Drinks, hors d'oeuvre's, and fireworks observation from the rooftop restaurants here in BKK will be canceled as well.  Even if the tables are socially distanced and spaced apart and meeting the requirements has this latest development effectively scrubbed a night out in Bangkok.  Hmmm.  If so, then there will a lot of people needing refunds or vouchers for the pre-paid evening I would think.  Ouch.

at the same time you have to think it might not have been the best choice all things considering. booking anything right now is a risk. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

New clusters have emerged in the wake of a big outbreak this month at a seafood market near Bangkok, among mainly migrant workers from Myanmar, with cases since reported in 48 provinces.

Not forgetting Thais returning from a cat-house up north.... just to keep all things equal.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

What does this mean in terms of Tomorrow nights reserved festivities at rooftop venues for the New Years Eve celebrations.  Does this mean the reservations for the 5 hour Dinner, Drinks, hors d'oeuvre's, and fireworks observation from the rooftop restaurants here in BKK will be canceled as well.  Even if the tables are socially distanced and spaced apart and meeting the requirements has this latest development effectively scrubbed a night out in Bangkok.  Hmmm.  If so, then there will a lot of people needing refunds or vouchers for the pre-paid evening I would think.  Ouch.

You might be able to salvage the "hors d'oeurves" with a private arrangement.

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It would be interesting to hear/get some more on-the-ground reports re this....

What exactly does "gatherings and events likely to draw crowds" mean?

Clearly, it means NYE kinds of mass gatherings and big parties.... But does it really meaning closing down all eat-in restaurants???

And of course, the actual answer to that may vary from province to province, as such things often do.

According to a second statement from the Udon Thani governor yesterday, the cap on crowd size is 300. The official New Year celebrations in town were canceled several days previously so smaller, private celebrations appear to be OK.

48 minutes ago, bloodyholly said:

Over the past few nights I’ve noticed an increase in a number of smallish groups hanging about at the side of the roads. I’m not sure what they’re up to, sitting around - some appear to be chatting, some watching a portable tv, some sleeping.  Difficult to say what they are doing as they’re all wearing dark clothing. On one occasion I though about reporting them to the local police but I didn’t see any. I hope these characters are not up to no-good.

All good. While everyone is getting excited over the latest Covid alerts, what you are seeing is the traditional "7-days of Christmas" road traffic check and rest stations being rolled out nationwide. They will probably be dual-purpose this festive season with temperature checks, masks and gel on offer as well as the usual coffee, water or a bamboo tian to grab a nap on.

1 hour ago, bloodyholly said:

Just biding their time until the end of the festive period, when they will queue up to receive payment for all the hard work they put in.

20 hours ago, Kadilo said:

They are already too late. People have travelled. It’s out there. It’s now a case of how many and how bad it will get. 

Kanchanapisek road was packed yesterday early afternoon in one direction - away from Bangkok. But by 10 pm when we were on the way home it was relatively empty. Usually it would be packed for much much longer. 

Maybe more will be traveling North today? 

• Like 1