Electric cars

Misab

Around the world, Hybrid is on its way out and electric car on its way in. In Norway 33% of all sold private cars are now electric.

According to the Internet: Globally, electric vehicles (EVs) are on the rise. ... By 2036, the Thai government aims to have 690 charging stations and 1.2 million electric vehicles nationwide.

I hope the above is a printing error, and Thailand aim to reach its goal in 2026

• Haha 1

In Denmark the government is pushing hard for hybrid/electric cars by keeping the yearly road/environmental taxes low on those and raise it a lot on engine alone driven cars, so now everybody is buying hybrid cars. 

Toyota and others are developing a solid state battery that can be charged extremely fast, they hope to launch a car with this type of battery in the early 2020s, can be charged from zero to full in 10 min!!

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Most-read-in-2020/Toyota-s-game-changing-solid-state-battery-en-route-for-2021-debut

Edited by guzzi850m2

43 minutes ago, Misab said:

Around the world, Hybrid is on its way out and electric car on its way in. In Norway 33% of all sold private cars are now electric.

According to the Internet: Globally, electric vehicles (EVs) are on the rise. ... By 2036, the Thai government aims to have 690 charging stations and 1.2 million electric vehicles nationwide.

I hope the above is a printing error, and Thailand aim to reach its goal in 2026

One of the issues of cut and paste without providing a link is no-one knows the date of the article that you cut and pasted from

August 2020

The Energy Ministry plans to have up to 1.2 million electric vehicles plying the roads by 2030

Somphot Ahunai, president of the energy firm, Energy Absolute, said promoting the use of electric vehicles should be done systematically, starting with creating a demand by reducing the price barrier and installing some 2,000 charging stations 50 kilometres apart nationwide.

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30393140

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ktm jeff said:

You might find John Cadogan,s expose of the Elon Musk EV cult interesting as he explains how , on other peoples/taxpayers  money , he covers the huge losses of Tesla. Up to 100 million dollars PER month. A company sure to implode , just like his rockets.

Tesla may well implode.  Last time I checked, it was selling at a P/E of about 690 and even if they captured 100% of the EV car market, their P/E would still be outrageous.  But Tesla is much more than cars.  It's power and power storage, and AI, and insurance products based on data captured on the roads and...and...  Still, I won't be buying any Tesla stock.

But they were instrumental in waking up the dinosaurs, shaming the high paid auto execs who didn't make it happen until their stockholders (and regulators) saw the possibilities and forced them onboard.  Thank Elon Musk for that.  Plenty of taxpayer money has been wasted subsidizing worse.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Misab said:

Channel News Asia in Carbon Conundrum (available from their website) stated that 54% of all cars sold in Norway are electric. Great show, you should see it. CNA has some of the best documentary programs anywhere.

8 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

In Denmark the government is pushing hard for hybrid/electric cars by keeping the yearly road/environmental taxes low on those and raise it a lot on engine alone driven cars, so now everybody is buying hybrid cars. 

Toyota and others are developing a solid state battery that can be charged extremely fast, they hope to launch a car with this type of battery in the early 2020s, can be charged from zero to full in 10 min!!

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Most-read-in-2020/Toyota-s-game-changing-solid-state-battery-en-route-for-2021-debut

just  like  fusion power  then............just 20 years  away

Was just thinking about the odd few times I ran out of petrol, got hold of a can and walked the petrol station, annoying but soon back on my way.

Now if it were an electric car, it would be a nightmare situation to run out of electric...????

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, transam said:

Was just thinking about the odd few times I ran out of petrol, got hold of a can and walked the petrol station, annoying but soon back on my way.

Now if it were an electric car, it would be a nightmare situation to run out of electric...????

https://www.facebook.com/justinflomofficial/videos/760869004750585/

Until  a country (NZ not far away) has 90% recyclable non fossil  energy available for electricity

generation I will stay with Betsy.

The charging ranges needs to be increased as unless I can drive 650 KM without a 'recharge," forget it.

The dry cell battery recycling or disposal in 8 years time is another nightmare.

The Indians have done the most research on this to date & is not pretty

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Until  a country (NZ not far away) has 90% recyclable non fossil  energy available for electricity

generation I will stay with Betsy.

That is possible with a GIANT leap in battery storage.

We are decades away from that.

Solar and wind just do not cut it without that battery storage.

And solar cells and wind production use LOTS of fossil fuel to build, have a shelf life, and then you need to repeat in about 20 years.

Sad as it is - Nuke is the best alternative to fossil fuel.

But try and convince the gov't around the world of this - all of them are linked to Big Oil, who run the world. And Big Oil has no interest in this idea at all - strangely enuf !!!

19 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Wow, if you live in the boonies and you plug that in everyone’s lights will go out.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PFMills said:

Wow, if you live in the boonies and you plug that in everyone’s lights will go out.

Exactly - imagine the whole country, 99% with 2 wire conductors, half backwards, all plugging in at 1800 when they get off work.

Decades before the infrastructure is in place

19 hours ago, impulse said:

Elon Musk spanked the big auto makers, proving that not only was it possible to build EV's that get acceptable range and performance, people would buy them.  Really woke up the dinosaurs, he did.

. . . and has done the entire world a huge favor.

Edited by oobar
helping verb added

6 hours ago, transam said:

Well where there is a will there is a way:

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

You might find John Cadogan,s expose of the Elon Musk EV cult interesting as he explains how , on other peoples/taxpayers  money , he covers the huge losses of Tesla. Up to 100 million dollars PER month. A company sure to implode , just like his rockets.

I agree, but you could have posted a link, and saved me a lot of copying, pasting and lateral thinking to find it.

23 hours ago, impulse said:

The thing that disturbs me is 690 charging stations for 1.2 million electric vehicles.   Imagine the queues.

I bet that doesn't include the charging outlets at the homes of owners. You know all those ice-blue MGs on the roads? When I looked at one in the showroom, the salesman told me the price includes coming to your house to install a charging outlet. But I have to agree, fewer than ten per province ain't many, not to mention Bangkok metro. 

22 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

If my understanding of electrics is right that requires one hell of a wattage being imparted. No doubt I'll be told I'm wrong.

44 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

If my understanding of electrics is right that requires one hell of a wattage being imparted. No doubt I'll be told I'm wrong.

I don't understand imparted? You mean wattage when charged in 10 min? Yes it will demand a lot of power for sure, not something you can do with a normal 220V connection at your house.

If the government are serious about EV's then all gasoline stations should have charging stations so when those solid state batteries are here, you can go and get a cup of coffee and your car is ready to go when finished drinking it.

By the way; the is an article in a certain news paper (we are not allowed to quote this new paper) today about EV's, very interesting.

EV's & hybrids are the new norm despite all the negative posts here.

I am considering getting a plug-in hybrid myself at some stage, perfect for the daily 2 schools runs, using no gasoline but still have the engine when doing long trips.

• Like 1