Computer not capable of getting high speeds on the internet.

giddyup

It very much depend on where you are connecting. You will never get more speed than the place you are connecting to is pumping into the internet.

Speed test is usually to the closest place your ISP has so will always be faster.

But 200Mb/s should be fast enough for most users. In UK, BT guarantees 10 Mb/s or 100 quid off your next bill! 

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

I'm not sure where that speed is shown.

Go to Network and Internet Settings, Ethernet, Change adapter options, double click on your ethernet card and check what "speed" is shown on the General tab. Should be 1Gbps.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Crossy said:

Go to Network and Internet Settings, Ethernet, Change adapter options, double click on your ethernet card and check what "speed" is shown on the General tab. Should be 1Gbps.

Yes, it is 1Gbps.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Yes, it is 1Gbps.

Good, have you disabled your WiFi adaptor on the PC, it's possible it's still using WiFi even with the cable connected (computers are stupid like that sometimes)?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Crossy said:

Good, have you disabled your WiFi adaptor on the PC, it's possible it's still using WiFi even with the cable connected (computers are stupid like that sometimes)?

Under settings it shows no wi-fi.

Just now, Crossy said:

If you click on the network icon bottom right of the desktop it shows that your wired connection is connected and that none of the wireless connections are connected?

It shows it still on, but I need wifi for other things like tablets.

46 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Your Ideacentre should have a gigabit ethernet card.

From what I see it has.

https://www.advice.co.th/product/A0091576

Network 10/100/1000 LAN
Wireless WIFI 802.11 b/g/n

I don't have an easy explanation why it would not exceed 200 Mbit/s on a wired connection.

The WIFI (802.11 b/g/n) is by no way capable of reaching number like 800 Mbit/s.

If you are on 3BB the only test reference (accetable for complaints) is:

https://speedtest.3bb.co.th/

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

From what I see it has.

https://www.advice.co.th/product/A0091576

I don't have an easy explanation why it would not exceed 200 Mbit/s on a wired connection.

The WIFI (802.11 b/g/n) is by no way capable of reaching number like 800 Mbit/s.

If you are on 3BB the only test reference (accetable for complaints) is:

https://speedtest.3bb.co.th/

I get 243 using the 3BB speedtest, but how did the techie from 3BB show nearly 800 on his Dell laptop?

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I get 243 using the 3BB speedtest, but how did the techie from 3BB show nearly 800 on his Dell laptop?

His lappie has a better/faster WiFi adaptor than your AllinOne.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Your router should offer two wifi networks, one on the 2.4Ghz band, which you are probably connected to, and another one on the 5Ghz band, which the technician probably used. But 5Ghz is only working well in close proximity to the router, so if you are in the next room you will surely not get 800mbps.

Post the exact model of your laptop, then we can tell you if your laptop supports this or not.

bingo, sounds like a 5Ghz issue, rather than 5G, typical Thai style confusion with technology

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carlyai said:

Last time 3BB came here we did a test. They had a LAN cable in the back of the car, so connected from the router to a RJ45 connector into my computer. Speed 1 Gbps. 

Hard wire your computer to the router as suggested.

I have, still only get just over 200Mbps.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I have, still only get just over 200Mbps.

check your LAN settings, make sure it has Gigabits turned on, full duplex 100Mbit has only a top speed of 200MB/sec

it's possible that your WIFI is old generation and that your LAN connection is not Gigabit Ethernet and of course your router LAN connectors might not be Gigabit Ethernet

You can buy a USB Wifi 5Gz (AC) dongle for 500 THB, much better than buying a new PC ????

• Like 1

I wonder if the techie was connected to 5 gigahertz Wi-Fi and your laptop was connected to the 2.4 gigahertz Wi-Fi. Then there would be a difference in speed.

Solution, log into the 5 gigahertz Wi-Fi.

2.4 gigahertz Wi-Fi is better for getting through walls.

5 Gigahertz Wi-Fi is better for speed

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Your laptop most likely has a gigabit network card already, so when using a cable you should have no problem to achieve this speed with the built in card.

As I said earlier it doesn't have a gigabit card and can't be upgraded 

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have a 3 year old Lenovo All-in-One that doesn't get anything like the speed I pay for from 3BB, so I got the techie out to test it as I assumed there was something wrong with my fibre connection. However he told me that it's impossible to get much more than the 200Mbps I'm getting now because the Lenovo isn't 5G. He showed me his laptop connected alongside my Lenovo and he was showing nearly 800Mbps on the Ookla speedtest. So if I'm going to buy a new computer I have to make sure it's 5G capable, is that correct?

Giddyup,

You are confusing 5G which is a cell phone speed with internet speed from your cable company.  Right now no cell phone companies have just began to roll out 5 G.  It will be some years before it is widely available.  When completed the 5G network will likely replace the wired broadband connections to your house due to its speed.  Until then the broadband you get from companies like 3bb will be faster. 

Now 3BB offers 1 gigabyte speed.  You will never get the full speed.  Your speed is dependent on 1. The quality of the broadband cable to your house. 2. Your router, some routers will not be capable of handling 1 gigabyte speed and fewer still can broadcast wireless the 1 gigabyte speed. 3. Your computer and its components.  That includes your wireless card, CPU processor and RAM.  Think of it this way.  The water is flowing from a river but into a hole that has only a 30 cm diameter.  The water can only flow just so fast through the restricted hole.  I would "guess" that your main limitation is the card inside your computer.  Those can be upgraded either on the main board or with an external connected to your USB.  Now if the speed is good but your processor is slow or you have too little memory it is like a highway that is jammed with too many cars.  The data is there but your computer can't process it fast enough.  To test, use your cell phone and connect to your home wi-fi and see what kind of speed you get on the phone.  My Apple is faster than my brand new Lenovo. 

Finally, you will always get the fastest speeds hooked directly from the router by hard wire versus wireless.  I get upwards of 800 MBPS hooked directly to the router and just over 400 Wireless on the same computer.  With that said, for everyday browsing anything about 100 - 200 will be pretty good and moving it to 500 or 600 MBPS you likely will not see any difference yourself. 

• Like 2

Here is a speedtest from A Dell Latitude X1 which is at least 15 years old using 3BB fibre 1000/500 package connected via Cat 5e cable. It's so old it can't be upgraded to Windows 10, so I'm using it as a Bittorrent client running Ubuntu. I have attached the spec and a speedtest. You should be getting far more than 200 Mbps download with a LAN connection, unless you have a VPN active. My desktop using Cat 6 cable gets around 840Mbps download.

X1 Spec.jpg

X1 Speedtest.jpg

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Did you disconnect the wifi on your computer? If wifi and cable are connected windows might continue to use wifi

Yes, disconnected, but speed seems about the same.