Canned fish is safe to consume, says FDA

webfact

Canned fish is safe to consume, says FDA

By THE NATION

800_11256f59d5f9b03.jpg?v=1610006467

Thailand’s Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has said that canned fish is perfectly safe to consume. This announcement was in response to concerns raised after people heard rumours that 914 workers at a canning factory in Samut Sakhon had tested positive for Covid-19.

The Public Health Ministry debunked the rumour on Wednesday, saying the 914 cases came from several factories in the province, not just one factory as rumoured.

“Canning factories in Thailand follow good manufacturing practices [GMP] standards that require sterilisation of cans at 100 degrees Celsius or higher, which is hot enough to kill all germs, including the Covid-19 virus,” said Suphattra Boonserm, FDA’s deputy secretary-general.

“Once the food and cans are sterilised, nobody touches them directly so consumers should not be concerned about the virus being spread from infected workers.

“However, it is recommended that you wash the can clean before you open it,” she said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30400858

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-07

20 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

What  about the worms in some of the cans......

regards worgeordie

... good question and very considerate indeed!

I reckon they will be fine, don't remember reading any news of worms gettin' the wuflu (yet) ...

• Haha 2

One wonders if the government would say so if fish products were not safe judging by some of the rubbish that Thais eat. I find it difficult somehow to envisage the Prime Minister settling down to a nice bowl of toasted crickets, or some appetising fried maggots, or even some sun-dried fish that's been sitting on a pavement for three days.

Call me a cynic.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nout said:

The heating and pressure will kill them I imagine.

I read a report last year,where they tested canned fish from China,Thailand and Indonesia

and it was found that 24 % of brands contained live worms....so if worms could survive

should be no problem for viruses.

regards worgeordie

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I read a report last year,where they tested canned fish from China,Thailand and Indonesia

and it was found that 24 % of brands contained live worms....so if worms could survive

regards worgeordie

Link?

• Like 1

So talking about fish ...I've been reading up on my Taptin or Tilapia and how they sell mostly males as they grow bigger quicker. So they put this testosterone hormone in the water when the fish are babies so the fish end up 90% male and barren. (One of 3 ways to do it).

So in cans, frozen Fish, etc. most of the fish sold are Tilapia, AND China is the biggest source AND some of the hormones leak out of the grow areas.

So don't have to worry bout the cans, it's the fish that's going to give you 3 heads or 2 a-holes.

Could be all wrong or a vicious rumor. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Off our menu, friends in Australia saying Thailand canned tuna off their shopping lists.

I thought Australia was woke?

What are they doing buying any Thai seafood with its long history of slavery and human rights abuses?

On 1/7/2021 at 2:14 AM, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

It was Chinese-fished mackerel, the discoveries were made in Thailand, Indonesia, etc.

No real danger since the worms were all dead & sterilized after having been sealed & then cooked inside the can as is normal procedure for canning.  -But, No, I would never eat that.