Lunacy or great leap forward? Thailand’s first moon mission ignites fierce debate

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Imagine the amulet market going absolutely over the moon (no pun intended)  ...... once the first moon stones and rockets are being brought back by Somchai the Astronaut! 

not gonna happen.

they'll be claimed by the chinese as their territory since ancient times, and will proceed to build wee, tiny bases on them.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

sparked questions about Thailand’s technological capabilities

Not to worry, I understand the Chinese have some mission capable  used vehicles for sale.

I can’t believe people are still even talking about this nonsense.   Thailand will never have the technical capability to pull this off themselves.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

Not to worry, I understand the Chinese have some mission capable  used vehicles for sale.

I can’t believe people are still even talking about this nonsense.   Thailand will never have the technical capability to pull this off themselves.  

relax.  let it go.  chilli out.

and remember..........in space.......no one can hear you tink too mutt.

• Like 1

what a brilliant idea.at a time of low unemployment and the nation in such robust health physically and economically it just shows that our enlightened govt have their fingers on the nations pulse,ahh i can sleep long,deep and sound.id like to personally travel to the isaarn launch site of the deep space probe,whats it called the DRE launch pad?seems to be a bit of a problem with inter provincial travel right now.whys that?damned foreigners causing problems again.

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Successful test of the launch and recovery system.

This is brilliant !!!!! What I love is the complete disregard for human life with regards to where that thing was going to land (oh didn't think of that). It was pure ass it landed where it did.  rotfl

1 minute ago, ozbanglamung said:

This is brilliant !!!!! What I love is the complete disregard for human life with regards to where that thing was going to land (oh didn't think of that). It was pure ass it landed where it did.  rotfl

At least it had a parachute so there's some semblance of "safety" (for the device not the observers, "controlled" recovery gets you extra points).

If you look at some of the other videos you have a big piece of PVC pipe with an equally big lump of palm tree attached, all just falling out of the sky ????

Seriously though...... and speaking with my rocket scientist hat on ????

The article says 'build and launch'.  That suggests a launch site, infrastructure and human skills necessary to launch the rocket that will carry this lunar probe.  That's not going to happen in a long, long time, even if Thailand had 100% assistance from China.

Then add in the launch vehicle, motors, fuel etc.....

Then there's the actual lunar probe.  That could be built with China's assistance, but it requires all the clean-room infrastructure, knowledge etc.  Sure, Thailand already has clean rooms for semiconductor manufacture etc, but designing, building and testing a lunar probe is a tad ambitious for a nation that has zero experience in building space hardware, apart from a couple of Cubesats built with mucho assistance from countries, such as Japan.

I think it's best to follow the old adage "learn to walk before you run", or more accurately for Thailand "learn to crawl before you walk"....

• Haha 1

It's not allowed to eat Durian in public transportation, and lots of other places, but seems to be Okay for a space snack...????

Durian-space-600x400.jpg

–However, it might be bad to be onboard such a space vehicle, if you don't fancy Durian, I know from personal experience how my house can smell when my girls' goes berserk with Durian-appetite...????

My first thought when reading about a Thai lunar project was – apart from I cannot figure out how a 3 billion baht budget makes it possible – that there might be several earthly projects that could be of more importance to solve...????

But of course, there are so much I don't understand about amazing Thailand...????

Go to the moon, don't make me laugh. They can't even get all their road traffic to drive on the correct side, or their trains to stay on the tracks. Do they yet have a locally designed and produced car? Learn to walk before you can swim comes to mind.

• Like 1

Given that Moodys predicts Thailand will be last in the region to recover from these times, the last thing the country needs is a half baked idea of going to the moon.  There is probably a reason why not many Asian countries have done this, it's a waste of the countries resources.