Swede escapes serious injury in high-speed collision on bypass road

webfact

4 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

The marking on the road are pretty clear, see picture below:

710827047_googleearth.png.305e455253cca96d89dd08d49f6d5fe9.png

Everybody should stay in their own lane and motorbikes on the most left lane need to merge into what was before the middle/left lane.

But i agree the design is absolutely absurd... there is a shoulder lane for motorbikes but that lane disappears all of a sudden and motorbikes (some going maybe 30km/h) need to share a lane with cars going much faster. At this spot a barely see anyone going into the u-turn lane, and at the next u-turn on this road they placed cones so you need to follow the correct lane or crash your car. Going the other way is even worse where there is a lane that is too small for normal cars and everybody starts moving into the middle lane (including slow lorries). It looks like someone designed this road based on how it should be, not based on if it also fits in the space available. Absurd.

Plus the shoulder is often taken by food sellers. 

44 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, sure.

Long time ago there was a story in one of the Phuket media, maybe Phuket Wan?, where the person responsible said 'speed limit is 80 (or 90, I don't remember), but we still had these 50 signs so we put up these in stead'.

Lets add that to the list of responsible people for the accident: putting useless signs up. I have no intention of checking, but i am pretty sure the 2 cars were still speeding considerably looking at the speed the car with the cam was driving and how fast they passed.

Did the guy who put the lines on the road maybe also tell that the lines are just there cause he had some paint left, or are we supposed to stay within the lines? LOL, TiT. 

3 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

There are no speedcams there, or i will still have to receive a lot of tickets for the past years. 

What Schlog said was also announced in one of the media some time ago.

8 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

Yep - i think we would all agree with these points. But here's the thing - when driving in Thailand you HAVE to assume that the other drivers (Thai's mostly) will not be taking any of these factors into account and therefore you MUST factor this into your driving.

I think this example clearly shows the dangers of Thai roads. All collisions and road accidents here are hugely magnified here because a) Thai's drive at very high speeds b) they have no concept of braking distances c) they don't seem to react to any possible dangers until it is way too late.

Which all means a fairl

Agreed. The markings are very dangerous.

The markings are perfectly fine when you recognise that the speed limit is only 50. The right lane isn't the fast lane, it's a filter lane for the u-turn.

Just 3 bad drivers who don't understand what solid lines mean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, wprime said:

The markings are perfectly fine when you recognise that the speed limit is only 50. The right lane isn't the fast lane, it's a filter lane for the u-turn.

Exactly that...  3 bad drivers and also appalling road design.

U-Turns in such as this are dangerous. When combined with idiots (who were clearly speeding) these u-turns become lethal

The Swede also committed to a u-turn when there was oncoming traffic (even though oncoming traffic speeding).

------

I was recently on a 3 lane highway (near Chokchai Farm - Khao Yai) wanting to u-turn.

When I stopped at the u-turn I realised the location of the u-turn was lethal - the visibility of oncoming traffic was extremely poor due a bend in the road and the crest, so traffic would appear into view at speed approximately 100m away. I couldn’t change my mind and continue straight ahead as the traffic coming from behind was also approaching at speed. 

Ultimately, I had to wait and wait until there was a definite gap and then commit and absolutely ‘gun it’ to get up to driving speed - meanwhile, while I was waiting another car tried to go around the outside of me, clearly impatient that I was waiting too long (had he pulled next to me my visibility of the oncoming traffic would have disappeared and he would have had to pull out further into the road when committing to the turn).

Not a pleasant experience - terrible road design combined with speeding traffic and (nearly) an idiot. 

The poor road design in Thailand is a huge contributing factor to accidents. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nope, a Swedish driver who hasn't a clue on how local drivers drive! Simple as.

• Thanks 1

Speed limit is 90.