142 test positive for Covid-19, most contracted domestically

webfact

142 test positive for Covid-19, most contracted domestically

By The Nation

800_902d44cd232392b.jpg?v=1611206435

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on Thursday reported 142 new cases over 24 hours, including 17 who flew in from abroad.

Of the new cases, 88 had been exposed to the virus while visiting high-risk areas. Samut Sakhon had the highest number of infections, with 63, followed by Bangkok with 14.

Proactive testing led to the discovery of 37 cases, mostly in Samut Sakhon, where 26 foreigners and three Thais tested positive.

Of the returnees, 11 are Thai nationals, two from Myanmar, one from Sweden, three from Turkey, one from India, three from the United States, and one from Malaysia.

Also testing positive were a Vietnamese woman and Cambodian man who travelled from Malaysia, a Swiss man, a Japanese man and two Indian men, who flew in from their respective nations.

Meanwhile, 221 patients have recovered and been discharged.

As of Thursday, the number of confirmed cases in Thailand had risen to 12,795 – 10,468 of whom had contracted the virus locally, including 4,167 who were found positive via proactive testing, while 2,327 were returnees. So far, 9,842 have recovered and been discharged, 2,882 patients are still in hospital and the death toll remains unchanged at 71.

According to Worldometer, as of midnight on Wednesday, the number of confirmed cases globally had risen to 97.3 million (up by 671,189), 69.85 million of whom have recovered, 25.38 million are active cases (112,255 in severe condition) and 2.08 million have died (up by 17,299).

Thailand ranks 128th on the global list of most cases. The US tops the list with 25 million, followed by India 10.61 million, Brazil 8.63 million, Russia 3.63 million and the United Kingdom 3.5 million.

CCSA spokesman Taweesin Visanuyothin, meanwhile, reported the case of a woman in Nakhon Phanom who was infected by a relative with possible links to the Rayong gambling den cluster. Many high-risk contacts linked to this cluster have tested negative, though some 1,000 are being isolated.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401588

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-21

24 minutes ago, smedly said:

if all these people are testing before leaving their home countries surely they must be contracting the virus either during travel or in quarantine or there is something wrong with their tests, either way a lot of people who were supposed to be virus free are getting positive tests in Thailand - something just doesn't seem right about this

Reports of fake test results being used have been around for a while now.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/fake-covid-pcr-negative-test-result-flights-travel-coronavirus-pakistan-b1341636.html

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Why do they keep saying this every chance they get. It means nothing.

They should tell everyone where they rank for testing on the world stage, it’’s embarrassingly low.

It means127 countries areworse! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Oh look, a "huge" increase in numbers with cases on the rise, since yesterday!After yesterday's "huge" decrease in numbers from the day before.

Wrong country when talkin “ huge” don’t you think.

• Haha 1

With constant daily numbers like today at 63, Samut Sakhon is going to reopen the shrimp market next week. Here in Chiang Mai where it is over 10 days with zero new cases the bars are still closed. Seems that heavy money must be being used to grease the wheels of authority, just like they did to let thousands of infected Burmese into That province. Disgraceful. And still our fearless government has not disclosed and findings of corruption.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

What about all the infections from or on Koh Si Chang that recently caused a lockdown according to reports ...??

I am not sure that the reported infections are on/ from Koh Si Chang.

But it certainly seems that there are quite a few cases in Sriracha

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Wrong country when talkin “ huge” don’t you think.

Apparently they've lockdown 2 villages in That Phanom because of 1 case.Personally I wouldn't call it  "huge" but the headlines don't seem to be bothered by using the term.  

3 hours ago, smedly said:

if all these people are testing before leaving their home countries surely they must be contracting the virus either during travel or in quarantine or there is something wrong with their tests, either way a lot of people who were supposed to be virus free are getting positive tests in Thailand - something just doesn't seem right about this

If my test proceedure is anything to go by....

My next job requires a neg test "no more than 72 hours before

i attend site"

My test was performed at 8am Saturday at my home, tonsil rub and then nasal rub.

Pop into provided bags and post. Delivered to the lab Monday morning, result and certificate emailed to me 3pm Monday.

I am about to leave (10am)to go to Wales to work, start tomorrow (Friday)

From 8.30am Saturday until 6am tomorrow when i arrive on site i could have been anywhere !!!

On top of that my entery onto site will not even be within the 72 hours of a neg test result ???

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on Thursday reported 142 new cases over 24 hours, including 17 who flew in from abroad.

Still a worrisome daily figure, considering they were free to move around and mingle prior to being found positive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smedly said:

Or they contract in the up to 72 hours between the test and leaving their own country. Or they contracted the virus a few days before their test and were not yet shedding enough virus to be detected.

7 hours ago, smedly said:

No you can test negative and still be incubating it for 14 days

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Many high-risk contacts linked to this cluster have tested negative, though some 1,000 are being isolated

This approach explains why they're so successful in controlling the virus compared with the West. One case today was reported in Chonburi City and 75 close contacts isolated, plus all the migrant workers associated with the case locked away from contact with the public. I'm very glad that they can do this and keep the vast majority of people safe, but you can see why it could never happen back home. Keep up the good work, Thailand! 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, treetops said:

I've seen places on Telegram where you can buy them for £30 paid by BTC. Most things can be forged these days.

17 hours ago, brommers said:

With constant daily numbers like today at 63, Samut Sakhon is going to reopen the shrimp market next week. Here in Chiang Mai where it is over 10 days with zero new cases the bars are still closed. Seems that heavy money must be being used to grease the wheels of authority, just like they did to let thousands of infected Burmese into That province. Disgraceful. And still our fearless government has not disclosed and findings of corruption.

It would seem that the unelected "PM" and his crew are largely responsible for this wave of the virus. That's what you get when you have a bunch of poorly educated soldiers trying run the country.