Thai hospitality magnate calls on govt to allow vaccinated foreigners entry into Thailand

webfact

2 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

I am afraid you are mixing in your post a public health problem with a personal problem.

In a public health approach you don't take a risk for few individuals. With a bad decision

you put potentially thousands of people at risk, it's a big responsability.

Concerning your desire to see your family and particularly your 4 year old daughter

i wonder what stop you to do the process to enter in Thailand, after all the quarantine is only 2 weeks, not the end of the world, and your reward, to be reunited with your family, doesn't deserves this little sacrifice?

You failed to answer my question of WHEN do you open. You cannot possibly ask all tourists for the next 20 years to isolate for 14 days - and 14 on return ? So again, WHEN do you open up ?  WHEN do you take the risk ? WHAT is acceptable risk after vaccine ? 

Yes, I probably could get back to my family, but i have a budget and for personal reason have to leave Thailand every 9 months and would have to do isolation of a month in quarantine each way every 9 months if you had your way - which is just plain daft !

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

You failed to answer my question of WHEN do you open. You cannot possibly ask all tourists for the next 20 years to isolate for 14 days - and 14 on return ? So again, WHEN do you open up ?  WHEN do you take the risk ? WHAT is acceptable risk after vaccine ? 

Yes, I probably could get back to my family, but i have a budget and for personal reason have to leave Thailand every 9 months and would have to do isolation of a month in quarantine each way every 9 months if you had your way - which is just plain daft !

I not failed to answer to the question of when

i just chose to not answer about it because i have no idea of the answer at the moment

and nobody else knows at the moment the answer

only time might give us some answers, we need to give time

to medecine, science and research

In matter of public health you can not take quick decisions for personal conveniences

(And that's what you were asking for, and that's what this mr Bill is asking for in his letter too, even if it's for differents reasons)

As a leader of a country you have to keep in mind the big picture, the health of the big numbers, and your loving ones are included in the picture, you should be happy that the

decisions taken by the Thai authorities actually protect them better than the UK authorities have done for the UK citizens so far

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Word is that even after vaccinated you can just say acquire the virus which will then hitch hike (carry) in your nose or throat cavity. This means you will test positive, but have no ill effects, but have potential to be a possible spreader. So before any doors are opened, this could possibly be a Pandora's box.

Exactly!

5 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Word is that even after vaccinated you can just say acquire the virus which will then hitch hike (carry) in your nose or throat cavity. This means you will test positive, but have no ill effects, but have potential to be a possible spreader. So before any doors are opened, this could possibly be a Pandora's box.

Amen, now some scientific facts presented in the discussion. 

Spreading coronavirus

Many of his comments are valid as Thailand are dragging the chain on vaccine rollout but 

I also presume that as part of the Minor Group his turnover has taken a bit of a nose dive.

I am also suffering as are thousands of businesses  (some of which when I read the list that are able to open in Bangkok)  with single figure transmission no explainable reason why we cannot as well..

More research needs to be done on a vaccinated person being a carrier (or not) before  would

just open up to overseas vaccinated persons  eg: England over 10 hour flight with 60% of plane 

vaccinated & rest doing quarantine on arrival, how do you keep them apart ?

Using Phuket as a "pilot model" is hardly allowing "unrestricted access into Thailand

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

And that the crux - no idea of when to open.

The world is deteriorating, people are starving to death, homeless, jobs gone, destitution. I can wait a while longer, I have a house in uk and Thailand, so my family are safe and I have enough money for them. BUT, we simply have to open up sooner rather than later or face so many years of death and poverty that covid will be seen as nothing compared to it.

You cannot say , well, I'm alright jack I have a house and guaranteed income. You have to open countries soon or destroy them for the residents of those countries. Thailand is being destroyed, NOT by the virus but by the poors financial destitution.

My UK has near 2 million unemployed, 9 million furloughed, when this is over there'll probably be near 4 million without work  - more than the days of UB40. And that is mirrored in places like USA. 

I can isolate in my house in Thailand, the wife can stay with relatives for 2 weeks - but is this allowed ? No, as there's a cash cow now

I totally agree with you about the economical destruction linked to this

and i am sure it's a very difficult balance to do for every leader of every country in the world

wealth vs health, millions of jobless or thousands of deaths? A very difficult dilemma and there

is not a good or a bad answer, there is no previous example in the world history of something like that

it's an empirical approach, with losses on the 2 sides whatever the way you chose

by chance nobody is starving in Thailand

but you are right, the poverty is growing quickly

Edited by kingofthemountain

3 hours ago, internationalism said:

thousands of affluent "new money" chinese coming to thailand to buy nationality don't speak a word in thai, it just a matter of an appropriate size grey envelope. I suspect $50-100k to the ministry is sufficient enough.

Within the last few days his fortune has increased by $25mln, so he certainly is doing very well

Ooh a grey envelope!! Is this the elite version of the famous brown one I've heard so much about? 

Oh and sufficient means enough, so no need to double up ????

2 hours ago, mr_lob said:

Many countries have said that they won't be vaccinating under 18s. It will be interesting to see how Thailand deal with that. 

Next up "Thailand - hub of over 18s holidays"

2 hours ago, mr_lob said:

Many countries have said that they won't be vaccinating under 18s. It will be interesting to see how Thailand deal with that. 

None of the present vaccines have gone through phase 3 clinical trials in children and teens. For vaccination for under 18s to happen a whole new series of clinical trials have to happen. 

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

Given that this guy's eggs are all in the tourism basket, he's hardly a reliable source of information on the subject of reopening. 

Wrong, Google Minor Group and you will see it’s not all tourism related, they are one of the biggest food & restaurant businesses in Thailand, Burger King, Sizzler, Pizza Company, Coffee Club to name just a few. They are also quite prominent in the fashion and clothing industry.

3 hours ago, mr_lob said:

16 minutes ago, Suetape said:

Who  gives a darn where he was born other than himself.  My American children do not call themselves Iranian and German born.  There Americans.   

He probably got rid of his American nationality because of tax purposes. If he didn't the IRS would be going after his wealth in Thailand. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paddypower said:

He was the idiot who said '' we needed this coup'', when it happened. Ironically, now that the Govt. appears to be doing all to control the virus  and hand out helicopter money (classic military govt. thinking), he is unhappy. The only reason he is popping up his head now, is he is profit driven. why is it that once you get super wealthy, it is never enough?

He hasn't stated his motives, so perhaps he can be asked. When I call someone an idiot, it is usually my own reflection in the mirror.

I would have hoped Bill would have researched a little bit before making this rather stupid statement!

I presume lots of people are ignorant regarding this disease.

When someone receives the vaccination and the booster. they are protected from Covid-19 from making them seriously ill BUT will still catch the infection AND pass it on to other people.

So whats the use of having a bunch of tourists coming in and spreading the disease to the population that have not had the protective inoculation. 

Its a dumb idea and I hope no one in the government is listening!!!!!

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

chinese vaccine brazil reports roughly 50% efficacy

are they going to toss coins with the chinese?

If the Chinese government say its 50% then I would say that realistically is going to be 5%.
If the Brazilian government says its 50% then that probably is 0%

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

chinese vaccine brazil reports roughly 50% efficacy

are they going to toss coins with the chinese?

Vaccines help in the level of severity of covid 19 if you should be unlucky and be one of the 50 percent failures . Overhaul that fact is a big plus in taking the vaccines available

8 hours ago, Whale said:

I met him twice at the end of last century. I would not trust him as far as I could throw a jeep. All his opinions are based on improving his profit irrespective.

Why should the government plan to put hospitality workers (in the international sector) at the front of the queue when theres no international tourists nor "vac passport" nor any international verifiable standard for such a thing. 

Name one businessman who's opinion is based on reducing his profit ! Heinecke is a very successful businessman for good reasons, excellence of product being one of them.

• Like 1

It means to discriminate those who can't be vaccinated for any reasons and to ignore warnings of scientists that vaccinated people may still infect other people. 

I am tired to read comments of people like him who spread not only factoids but also pure nonsense to gain personal advantage.

• Like 1