Thailand reports 836 new coronavirus cases, 2 new deaths

webfact

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I agree - before it was like 3 even weeks of 200-300 infections , now it's an even week of 800-900.

It's all way too even - there obviously to me seems to be an agreed number of declared results or tests done and then stop reporting or testing.

I'm of the opinion that they have a limit on daily testing of around 10,000 ("active case finding" in Samut Sakhon), and that with a consistent positivity rate of ~ 9 % end up with what looks like unusually consistent figures. If anything, it seems like the figure should be rising.

But who knows without more details. Could be above board, could be hinky.

I would like to see some random, pooled testing in other locales.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I'm of the opinion that they have a limit on daily testing of around 10,000 ("active case finding" in Samut Sakhon), and that with a consistent positivity rate of ~ 9 % end up with what looks like unusually consistent figures. If anything, it seems like the figure should be rising.

But who knows without more details. Could be above board, could be hinky.

I would like to see some random, pooled testing in other locales.

Where do you get  "a consistent positivity rate of ~ 9 %" from?Just trying to find out the numbers of testing being conducted.On Monday last week they reported 5574 tests with 800 plus positives which gave a positivity rate of 16% but haven't been able to find any numbers of testing since then.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Where do you get  "a consistent positivity rate of ~ 9 %" from?Just trying to find out the numbers of testing being conducted.

Based on the daily CCSA briefing, where they have mentioned the 10,000 figure a few times.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I suspect that the Myanmar workers have been packed in wherever they are, unable to distance themselves from others, so slowly but surely they are giving it to each other, which if correct means it won't slow down until everyone of them has got it.

yep, wouldn't surprise me if it started with 2 or 3 cases, then they were all packed together with 10,000+ other migrants

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Those who test positive and those known to have been in contact with a positive case are confined to quarantine centers (from which there are people discharged each day). Others are not.

Do you know if they are only incarcerating migrant workers who are close contacts or are Thai close contacts also incarcerated?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I get the feeling that once the authorities get to near 850 positive cases and they pull the plug on testing or reporting. The last few days are very conspicuous with around the same numbers.

Who do they think they are fooling!

Probably the limit of their daily testing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

and  are these many all illegals, who bypassed quarantine?

These are mostly migrants trapped in a locked down city and still working to keep the factories operating, infection will keep spreading among those who have not yet been detected and moved to quarantine.

The vast majority are NOT illegals.

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

You have to wonder at the plan of not mass testing elsewhere in the country.  I do understand they feel that the cases are strictly pinned down in Samut Sakhon, but then that makes no sense if that province is on a lockdown, how are people still visiting high risk Area's if the whole of Samut Sakhon is a high risk location to begin with.

It's a puzzler.  Pinned down in the area where everyone and their dog goes to buy their seafood?

• Like 1

One thing that strikes me odd in these news is that they sure give a lot of information about the deceased, such as gender, location, whereabouts before and after infection, age, nationality etc. Almost the only thing missing is their home addresses. Where I come from information of the dead is as vague as possible in order to not be identifiable and to protect privacy. There is general information about the age and sex distribution of the dead ones but that is about it.

19 minutes ago, Olivie said:

Why does journalists do not ask about the number of tests done?

I mean, journalist is a job or a hobby in Thailand?

Everything to do with covid has to go through the government I think under the emergency decree, so news can only be reported as authorized and cleared by them. In most countries it is called censorship, Thailand calls it not reporting or publishing anything that could cause or fear amongst the population. If you read all reports from CCSA in any online be it TV or BP they almost read word for word the same.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hotchilli said:

These are mostly migrants trapped in a locked down city and still working to keep the factories operating, infection will keep spreading among those who have not yet been detected and moved to quarantine.

The vast majority are NOT illegals.

Any idea of the numbers.... ? Seems inexhaustible .... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not much help..... big difference between 2000 (which is not likely since many more than that have tested positive) and 900,000. 

I think I read somewhere that in Samut Sakorn/Songkram areas up to 600,000 thousand migrants are located...

mostly living/working in the same very confined areas.

Hence the infection rates.