Officials check vehicles for black smoke emissions in greater Bangkok

webfact

Officials check vehicles for black smoke emissions in greater Bangkok

c6fc6fa4e0c3ba8740484fe0225e17e5_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Officials are enforcing measures to reduce levels of particulate matter of 25 microns or less in diameter (PM2.5), one of which is restricting the number of vehicles emitting black exhaust fumes on the roads in Bangkok and surrounding areas. In the last four months, more than 60,000 were inspected, with 400 found to exceed emission standards.

Officials continue inspecting vehicles, particularly trucks and public buses, on the inbound lanes of Borommaratchachonnani Road, Bangkok. If the vehicles are found to exceed emission standards, they are banned from the road until they are fixed according to the law.

According to the Department of Land Transport, 20 roadside emission checkpoints in greater Bangkok inspected 62,380 vehicles between October 1 last year and January 31 this year. A yellow sticker was issued to 477 vehicles, temporarily banning them. Owners are required to address the problem within 30 days. A red sticker was issued to 18 vehicles, banning them permanently. Inspections will continue until next month.

Members of the public, some of whom have congenital disorders, say the dust problem has affected their health. They say the problem is not only caused by cars, but also by other activities.

nnt.jpg
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

That is 0.0666% of the vehicles inspected. I think someone missed a zero or maybe two off the 400. 

Back to school, Khun Kannika!

Thinking someone missed a zero is no reason to add a zero to your calculation result ...

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, rebo said:

Back to school, Khun Kannika!

Thinking someone missed a zero is no reason to add a zero to your calculation result ...

Sorry. I shall do 100 lines...I shall not add zeros to my calculations. 

Yes it is only 0.6666% of the cars tested that were issued a yellow sticker. Now what is 18 as a percentage of 60,000?   LOL

• Like 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

According to the Department of Land Transport, 20 roadside emission checkpoints in greater Bangkok inspected 62,380 vehicles between October 1 last year and January 31 this year. A yellow sticker was issued to 477 vehicles, temporarily banning them. Owners are required to address the problem within 30 days. A red sticker was issued to 18 vehicles, banning them permanently. Inspections will continue until next month.

Somehow I think not enough stickers were handed out considering the number checked?

So trucks billowing black smoke in BKK are causing the toxic 2.5 PM air pollution at the international school in Pattaya and the rest of Thailand? Oh boy, not even a 5 year old is going to believe that! ???? 

However, I did notice some locals out jogging in the smog soup yesterday evening. TIT????

Screenshot_20210204_090010_com.airvisual.jpg

• Sad 1

Deep joy, but yesterday on the Khon Kaen bypass there was a vehicle inspection and there must have been 30 lorries parked on the side of the road prior to the checkpoint waiting for it to go no doubt, so the only ones they were able to check were the well maintained not frightened to go through.

Some time ago, and can't remember if it was Bangkok or not but could have been anywhere in Thailand.  I sat behind a vehicle waiting for the intersection light to change.  When the vehicle in front of me started off the black smoke was so think it turned on my automatic windshield vipers.  This dense pollution can be seen daily almost anywhere in Thailand.  Just as bad is the noise pollution here.  Both negatively affect many peoples health and lives.

Great - Im sure they will keep this up for almost a week before slinking back to their desks and old 'jobs'.  Maybe a few can be spared to stop the mega corporations rampantly burning their crops to save a few baht and killing us all.  This land has become unlivable.  LOS - Land of Smog.  TT - Toxic Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jaiyen said:

Only found 18 vehicles that were bad enough to be banned ? What a joke !  Why don't they set up outside the bus stations ?  Guaranteed results. Can't do that as they are run by the government !

Thailand , the hub of lip service.

22 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Basically all the busses & over clocked pick-ups !!!

Bangkok’s public transport busses are going to be decimated for about a week until the next crack down & everyone forgets until the next big ‘air pollution’ issue. 

I'd love to have 100Baht for every past crackdown, in the last 20 years, on black smoke from buses, pick ups and all vehicles. None of these crackdowns achieved very much. 

8 hours ago, Almer said:

Deep joy, but yesterday on the Khon Kaen bypass there was a vehicle inspection and there must have been 30 lorries parked on the side of the road prior to the checkpoint waiting for it to go no doubt, so the only ones they were able to check were the well maintained not frightened to go through.

Incredibly the police don't seem to notice all the trucks parked on the side of the road leading up to the check point waiting for it to close. It fools them every time! 

16 hours ago, Venom said:

Incredibly the police don't seem to notice all the trucks parked on the side of the road leading up to the check point waiting for it to close. It fools them every time! 

Fools is the word for sure

On 2/4/2021 at 1:09 PM, Ireland32 said:

All those souped  up pick ups should be made to rev their engines , till the Blk smoke emits 

They should be revved until  nothing comes from the exhausts other than pistons and the like.