Which lane to use as motorcyclist

Opossum

21 hours ago, Opossum said:

Hi

As you can see on the attached picture, there are 3 lanes. I was told today from my thai teacher and from a Farang who is driving in Thailand every day, that I should use the outmost left lane Nr. 1, which indeed almost all Thai people are using and that it is even forbidden to use lane Nbr. 2 and Nbr. 3 except for overtaking a vehicle.

My question: Is it forbidden to use lane Nbr. 2 by Thai law?

In the country where I come from, lane Nbr. 1 is forbidden to use and only in case of emergencies and in case your car is broken down.

Thanks for any answers

IMG_634139474891.jpg

Just now, Kurtf said:

I don't see 3 lanes. I only see 2 lanes and a paved section which has a name I can't immediately recall but is used for as you said, break downs. Definitely not to be used as a roadway at highway speeds. But in Thailand even if there was a law about motorbikes using it and not the other 2 lanes, since there is no enforcement....no one cares or obeys the law.

6 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

It just goes to show. No body really knows. As most not even told the rules. All I know is even if right. If a falang.. You would be wrong. If a excident accured. 

???

Of course we know. By law you have to stick to the outmost proper lane, which in this picture is lane 2 and that’s all there is to it! 

No way that Thai cops cite bikes for riding lane -1 / hard shoulder.

Never.

In some US states fellatio is illegal under Sodomy laws.

Even between husband wife.

Same thing.

Edited by papa al

Well, when I showed my teacher the attached sign with the bike, she still told me to use the shoulder as motorcyclist and even mentioned to use the honk when she is driving a car when motorcyclist do not use the shoulder - so I drove home by using the shoulder, what I have never used before since I'm in Thailand. During the way back home, I though that I will not to survive this trip.

By the way, my speed is between 70 and 100 km/h on the motorway.

IMG_0920.JPG

• Like 1

Whatever the general rule is:

on highway 12 which I use regularly all slow moving two wheelers (scooters, small bikes, side carts) use this left strip. There are sections where a respective sign shows up for two wheeler to use (allowed to use?) the left strip.

And THANKS HEAVEN.

It's an overland highway with legal speed of 90 km/h. 120 and more driven by many.

What a mess it would be to share a full lane with soup kitchens on wheels and the like.

Of course there are "big bikes" who will fly through on the rightmost lane.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

On the rare occasion that I drive the small bike on our two lane undivided highway I drive as far left as possible/appropriate, only going right to overtake or when driving "fast" like 70 to 80 following other vehicles.

The left strip is mostly in good condition and can be used.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

On the rare occasion that I drive the small bike on our two lane undivided highway I drive as far left as possible/appropriate, only going right to overtake or when driving "fast" like 70 to 80 following other vehicles.

The left strip is mostly in good condition and can be used.

Found same in travels around country.

50,000K++

Scant puncture causing debris.

Impressive.

7 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Just shooting the breeze about traffic safety here...

The above road is single lane and undivided (no median barrier between oncoming traffic) which happens to be, statistically, the most dangerous highway there is. I suspect they've put up the "motorcycles use shoulder" signs in order to reduce the need for passing into oncoming traffic. The stretch of road also looks like it might have a fair amount of side streets, and maybe has times of day when sun reduces visibility which would further increase the passing danger, so having slower traffic use shoulder is trade-off for reducing the need for passing into oncoming traffic. I was not aware that blue signs were "advisory only."

I think thats an extremely valid point. However, it assumes there was any deep thought beyond "lets put a sign up

...... which probably occurred after someone high up was complained to by someone else ‘connected’ about someones nephew getting taken out riding along the main lane...:neus:

11 hours ago, papa al said:

Curious: your teacher ...

driving instructor,

language teacher,

Maths teacher,

spiritual guide, what?

Just curious. ????

It's a [pity one of the motorcyclists who reportedly die every half hour can't be asked what lane they used.????

1 hour ago, sharksy said:

I remember when a Thai lady picked me up from Pitsanulok Bus Station and took me to her village on scooter.

Lane1 all the way.

Considering that dozens of Thais die every day doing what they do on the street, it's probably a bad idea to copy their actions.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I've been riding here for 7 years now and I always ride in the middle of the left hand lane

Surely not? I was of the opinion that m/bike riders are told never to ride in the middle/centre of any lane? That is where the oil layer is that leaks from the 1,000's of vehicles. Always ride to the left or right of a visible "slick"

Using lanes 1, 2 and 3 when riding a motorbike in Thailand is down to common sense, 100%. Riding in a city, town or built up area, you will, or should be, going much slower than on the open road, everything has to be taken into consideration, road conditions, weather conditions, amount of traffic etc, etc. In a lot of cases, no2 can be damaged through heavy trucks, and very dangerous for motorbikes, then you have to use no1, if both are damaged, then you have to slow right down and switch very carefully between 1 and 2, no 3 is a complete no! no! unless of course, you are overtaking or making a right hand or U turn ahead.

There can be no rules, only common sense, a thing that most Thais are not compatable with, 80% of road fatalities involves motorbikes, that says it all.

22 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Concerning what your Thai teacher told you, as most Thais receive no driving/riding instruction at all and I doubt if any of them read the 'Thai Traffic Laws', I would take what have to they say with a 'pinch of salt'. (do please note, I am NOT a Thai basher as most folks will know)

I believe that 'lane 1' (your definition) is not for riding or driving in. Moreover I believe it to be a potentially dangerous practice to do so. I could give a long list of why I believe it to be dangerous, but most people should be able to work it out for themselves.

I've been riding here for 7 years now and I always ride in the middle of the left hand lane (your lane 2) and endeavor to keep pace with the general flow of the traffic around me. This, by the way is a practice taught to and recommended by UK police motorcyclists who call it 'claiming your space'. And I always overtake on the right. This maximizes your range of maneuverability, should you need it. And in Thailand you inevitably will do!

Safe riding all.

On the open road, in most cases, riding a Honda Wave or similar is going to be very difficult keeping pace with the general flow of the traffic around you, although it would be easier with a Honda Forza or similar upwards.

If you want to attempt to try it. you compromise very badly your own personal safety.