SURVEY: 10 million tourists for 2021, doable or not?

Scott

SURVEY: 10 million tourists for 2021, doable or not?  

166 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Thai government has bandied about various numbers for tourist arrivals.  The Tourism minister is predicting up to 10 million tourists in the 2nd half of the year.   Of the options, which one do you think is most accurate?

Feel free to leave a comment.

I think it was a well thought out number.
It is small enough that they’re very gullible person might believe it’s possible. It’s large enough for the very optimistic owners of the few tourists related industries to keep open.

But unless there is a huge number of commercial flights between China and Thailand, and the government requires no quarantine, there’s not a shot in @&$& of them getting anywhere close to that number.
With the reports of the vaccination from China having marginal efficacy, it’s unlikely Thailand will bow to their master and allow huge volumes of Chinese tourist.

Definitely not doable for as long as quarantine remains in place.

Only a tiny fraction of potential (mostly long-term) tourists is both willing and able to spend the first two weeks of their vacation in quarantine. No amount of putting lipstick on that pig will change that.

Oi'll give it foive.

That's a single digit number five.

I'm pretty sure this number will be beaten (but not by much). 

Edited by anchadian

I have a reminder set on my phone to ask a particular member hear how the 10 million ( which he/her/it) stated on this very forum a couple of weeks ago as doable come the 4th quarter, he has been very quiet recently, and has not bothered to comment here, I'm disappointed to say the least, maybe he couldn't stand the ridicule he would probably receive for such a ludicrous projection. ????

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I've voted nowhere near 10 million, BUT, I think 10 million 'IS' possible......

IF They abandon quarantine.

IF They say people can come back without Thailand vaccinating all their population.

IF The airlines start flying earlier

IF you do not have to apply for a visa in your own country

IF you do not need a doctors note and fit to fly

IF a simple vaccination document is usable 

IF The people outside Thailand have not used up all their savings.

If the infrastructure is still there.

IF......................

IF you get 38 thb or more for a €

Very few tourists will come to a country with zero vaccinations, or that requires quarantine.   

I believe 14 day quarantine is the correct thing but the government should have kept the feeling of  price gouging  lower.  

So many thai expats arriving and testing positive.  I don't believe they are being required to have a covid test prior to the flight home.  No way am I getting on a long flight now. 

The only people who will visit are people with loved ones,  profitable business dealings, or sex pats.  No normal tourists are going to plan to visit Thailand until they have 70% vaccination rate and can safely remove the quarantine. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I've voted nowhere near 10 million, BUT, I think 10 million 'IS' possible......

IF They abandon quarantine.

IF They say people can come back without Thailand vaccinating all their population.

IF The airlines start flying earlier

IF you do not have to apply for a visa in your own country

IF you do not need a doctors note and fit to fly

IF a simple vaccination document is usable 

IF The people outside Thailand have not used up all their savings.

If the infrastructure is still there.

IF......................

I'd say also that the numbers are possible . There's still a lot of roadblocks ahead , but if the vaccinations do their job , and hospital admissions are down a lot , then we would see a big return to the life we used to know . Planes will fly if there is a demand , rooms will be there if there is a demand . The government is a hard part , since they have got to lift a lot of regulations , in which Thailand have got a bad reputation .

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Scott said:

The Thai government has bandied about various numbers for tourist arrivals.  The Tourism minister is predicting up to 10 million tourists in the 2nd half of the year.   Of the options, which one do you think is most accurate?

Feel free to leave a comment.

Open mouth ...insert foot....look at today's headlines in Bkk Post....no vaccines until maybe June?

That doesn't tell you too much does it? No tourist will quarantine for 14 days while on holiday...these people just don't have a clue.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sezze said:

I'd say also that the numbers are possible . There's still a lot of roadblocks ahead , but if the vaccinations do their job , and hospital admissions are down a lot , then we would see a big return to the life we used to know . Planes will fly if there is a demand , rooms will be there if there is a demand . The government is a hard part , since they have got to lift a lot of regulations , in which Thailand have got a bad reputation .

It is not Thailand itself that has the bad reputation, it is the unelected "PM" making promises, sitting round tables with his crew and making up stupid regulations that only the members of the "scared of your own shadow" brigade will obey.