Thailand reports 186 new COVID-19 infections

webfact

Thailand reports 186 new COVID-19 infections

s4.reutersmedia.jpg

REUTERS FILE PHOTO for reference only

Thailand reported 186 new coronavirus cases on Monday, the fourth consecutive day the number of new cases have fallen. 

Nearly all of the new cases were again discovered during testing of migrant workers at quarantine facilities and hospitals in Samut Sakhon.

Of the new cases, 35 were discovered via active contact tracing, while 141  were so-called ‘walk-ins’ discovered from people reporting to hospital. 10 cases were imported from people entering quarantine.

Thailand’s Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) also reported that 468 people were discharged from hospital having made a full recovery.

6,068 people remain in hospital or held in a migrant worker quarantine centre. No new deaths were reported

Monday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 23,557, with 79 deaths. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-08

32 minutes ago, webfact said:

Nearly all of the new cases were again discovered during testing of migrant workers at quarantine facilities and hospitals in Samut Sakhon.

worrying that infected migrant workers are walk-ins at hospital and not being picked up through the active testing

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

worrying that infected migrant workers are walk-ins at hospital and not being picked up through the active testing

But once again they do not state categorically WHERE these people are walking in .............!!!

yesterdag 97 today 141 walk-ins...  not many to worry about, but it is increase very quickly and that is worrisome. How many cases do they even tell the media?? So it is not under control at all and everybody will notice that next week the cases rise again. 

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

"Walk ins" are not all symptomatic, in fact most are not. They are often  simply people who go of their own accord to a hospital requesting COVID test. When the MoPH makes an announcement urging people whp have been to place X to come forward for testing, they respond by going to a hospital.

Thats pure speculation Sheryl, how do you know most are not symptomatic?

We also have no clue how many have gone in because they were advised to. Additionally if any were advised to go into hospital for a test that means someone where they have been was positive. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rabas said:

It is a fact that Thailand's well defined program, from February  2020, has encouraged walk-ins of all categories. Surely you have read that people are encouraged to get tested if they think they have had contact or have travelled or visited certain places. The Thai Chana and Maw Chana apps also alert people to potential exposure so the can go get tested. (Even they take a taxi, they are walk-ins!). They publicly announce locations so concerned people can choose to go get tested.  Even condos can suggest people get tested. Suspected exposer is a written criterion for test authorization.

This program has led to testing of roughly one million cases of interest and the identification of most Thai cases until the recent outbreak. This is not a new program.

Must to be a lot of suspected exposers then that leads to 140 cases positive 

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Haha 1

I still believe that due to the system of hospitalisation if found positive for covid, although keeps cases strictly isolated which is good, discourages those with mild symptoms from coming forward, for fear of compulsory internment in hospital or worse a field hospital. Same problem has occured in UK where people cannot afford to isolate at home, as required by law, so either sit it out until they feel well enough to go out or blatantly carry on as normal going to work.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Seems to be a lot of suspected exposers then.  

I would suspect exposers too if I was in Samut Sahkon.

I once thought about walking in when my local hospital, Mongutwattana, reported that 7 staff contracted COVID two days after my wife had outpatient surgery there. (first wave)  I called and they said none of the affected staff were in that part of the hospital, so no need to test. They did test and quarantine 60 other staff.  I was still worried a bit.

Edited by rabas

Chatting with a Thai friend who says they are not testing as much. Think most of us know this. Seems like it's back to the first round. Only those who present at hospital. There was meant to be a testing station near me today. I went but it was a no show. Asked another Thai friend said meant to come but didn't.

12 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Of course they do.

I disagree

Of the new cases, 35 were discovered via active contact tracing, while 141  were so-called ‘walk-ins’ discovered from people reporting to hospital. 10 cases were imported from people entering quarantine.

where in those figures are the ones from active testing?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

"Walk ins" are not all symptomatic, in fact most are not. They are often  simply people who go of their own accord to a hospital requesting COVID test. When the MoPH makes an announcement urging people whp have been to place X to come forward for testing, they respond by going to a hospital.

Did not know that. Explains a lot. I'm obviously not the only one who had understood "walk-in" to mean someone sick enough to go to hospital.