Biden administration plans to continue to seek extradition of WikiLeaks' Assange - official

webfact

28 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Disappointing. He's been persecuted and locked up long enough for crimes he didn't even commit. Time to let him return home!

If he had not jumped bail and gone into hiding, he would almost certainly be home by now.

As it is he decided to pish-away the prime of his life hiding in a cupboard.

Why he did do is a mystery, but I’m coming to the conclusion it was all a publicity stunt that went wrong.

I’m not without sympathy though, it’s his cat I feel sorry for, I hope it’s got over the ordeal and is living a happy life.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Caldera said:

The problem is, of course, that the Swedish charges brought against him were frivolous. Going "into hiding", as you choose to call it (in actual fact, seeking refuge at an embassy) was a justifiable act of self defense.

If, as you assert, the charges where ‘frivolous’ why then the need for this poor excuse for a man, with access to defense from some of the UK’s leading legal minds, to go into hiding. Other than that he’s a poor excuse for a man.

Every working day, people facing the reality that they are going to be convicted and imprisoned, ‘man up’ and turn up

to face justice in the courts.

Assange, was released on bail, he signed the bail order and then ran and hid.

And you insist he forfeited the bail somebody stood for him to avoid ‘frivolous’ charges (which were actually only an order to face, in person, prosecutor’s questions).

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

I doubt that. It wasnt that long ago he was charged. He is being held in custody now so this time he is in jail will be taken off his jail time on sentence.

I doubt a sentence will be less than a couple of years. More like 20.

Manning is out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Assange lost his claim to being a journalist when he timed the release of the hacked emails from the Democratic Party to inflict maximum damage on Hilary Clinton. Not the way a genuine journalist should operate. As we know now, he was cooperating with Roger Stone

Assange, Avowed Foe of Clinton, Timed Email Release for Democratic Convention

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/27/us/politics/assange-timed-wikileaks-release-of-democratic-emails-to-harm-hillary-clinton.html

Not just Stone.

There is the outstanding matter of the part Farage played in that ‘game’. 

On the upside side for Assange, he has some ‘chips’ to put in play.

12 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

1. The fact that Swedish prosecutors had not charged him is irrelevant to his running into hiding to avoid extradition to Sweden.

2. Under the extradition treaty between Sweden and the UK, Assange would have remained under UK jurisdiction even while in Sweden, the US could not have extradited him without the UK courts approval, and as we have seen the UK courts have demonstrated they may rule in his favor.

3. The US did not seek to extradite Assange at the time of his hiding from Swedish prosecutors, that they have since done so is not evidence of the US lying about intending to do so at the time when Assange was in self inflicted ‘seclusion’.

He legally claimed asylum.

Assange sought assurances from the US that they would not try to extradite him from sweden. They refused.

Edited by Sujo

54 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He jumped bail.

While his narcissism is a reality it does not entitle him to personL assurances from the US Government.

Which he has already paid the penalty.

it does entitle him to decide what he wants to do. He does not have to answer questions and he legally had asylum.

Perhaps sweden should move out of the 19th century and and use skype or zoom to vid chat with him. Seems they are unable to ask him questions unless he is actually in sweden.

i make no comment on him personally.

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Peabody said:

Seriously, wasn't it an accusation of rape, cuz he didn't wear a condom?

An accusation, is not a charge. He was never charged with anything in sweden.

The extradition was for questioning. Sweden must be the only country that doesnt have internet for such things. In any event he cannot be compelled to answer.

Edited by Sujo