Scottish pounds Phuket - Exchange

Petekiwi

7 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Scottish pounds ...  Never been able to exchange them even 40 years ago.  

Always made sure I had English pounds before travel. Sorry .... not much help

Thanks very much for replying. I nearly managed to change them at a money exchange at the big Tesco near Big C. But they changed their minds last minute

I don't know about Phuket but you used to be able to exchange them in Pattaya and I think in the basement (by airport link) of Suvarnabhumi BKK.

They used to give you an inferior exchange rate to the pound Sterling.

I guess the problem is they're hardly any exchange booths open.

2 hours ago, Petekiwi said:

Does anyone know where you can exchange Scottish pounds in phuket?

Or does anyone want to swap them for Bank of England pounds?

Can't hardly change SP in South London...never mind South Thailand!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nout said:

Can't hardly change SP in South London...never mind South Thailand!

Don't understand why I used Scottish Bank Notes in West London without a problem 30 years ago.

As an aside Scottish notes are the only ones that actually quote the correct definition of the UK currency on them, "Pounds Sterling", English notes do not.

In saying all that I always made sure I had English notes when I came on holiday here, mainly because I lived in England at the time.

Doesn't help the OP any unless he can find somebody going back to UK and can swap notes.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Better to just throw Scottish pounds away, back in Glasgow I'd always get English pounds for travel

I learned that when go to Palma Majorca in Spain 40 years ago, Stupid took Scottish notes. Not one main Spanish bank would take them. No ATMs back in those days. Lucky a fellow Scot exchanged them as he was going back soon.

1 hour ago, foreverlomsak said:

As an aside Scottish notes are the only ones that actually quote the correct definition of the UK currency on them, "Pounds Sterling", English notes do not.

Actually...

Pound coins were given the name pound sterling because they originally weighed one troy pound of sterling silver.

So unless your Scottish bank notes weigh in at one troy pound - 373 grams, then the Scottish definition is rather off.

Edited by 2530Ubon

1 hour ago, foreverlomsak said:

As a further aside, that is not quite true. Northern Irish bank notes also have the words ''Pounds sterling'' on them.

Not that this seems to help the O/P in any way. ????

54 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

As a further aside, that is not quite true. Northern Irish bank notes also have the words ''Pounds sterling'' on them.

Not having seen one, and not seeing references in any collectors books I have read to that effect, I'll accept your statement, and re-iterate that English notes do not, so who is issues "REAL" pound sterling notes.

I believe that Scottish pounds need to be repatriated through the consulate, as apposed to the bank of England, so it's more expensive to change. 

My friend went all the way to cao San Road once from phuket and changed it no problem, 

But that was before covid, and before they moved the street traders on. 

If I were you, I would ask on the pattaya forum. 

10 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Not having seen one, and not seeing references in any collectors books I have read to that effect, I'll accept your statement, and re-iterate that English notes do not, so who is issues "REAL" pound sterling notes.

My view is that it is the Bank of England who issue the REAL ones because they are the only ones that have the monarch's head embossed on them. The Scottish and NI notes have to say 'Pounds Sterling' on them in order to validate them as having the same value as B of E ones. ????

Ulster-Bank-£20-front.png

11 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

I believe that Scottish pounds need to be repatriated through the consulate, as apposed to the bank of England, so it's more expensive to change. 

My friend went all the way to cao San Road once from phuket and changed it no problem, 

International exchanges are done under the umbrella of the IMF Article 8, and banks are only obliged to exchange the latest version of a country's currency. The devolved notes have never been seen as the latest version of the UK currency.

Any exchanges done outside Art 8 are at the risk of the exchanger, hence the multitude of different arrangements among exchangers.

A while back a friend of mine here on holiday had a problem exchanging the older £20 note and I took them off his hands, I then took them back to the UK. 

Probably the best option for the notes in question.

Edited by sandyf

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

This made me laugh.  Good luck with those who seek independence, when nobody will take the country's passports or money  seriously.  Mind you, you have to be a bit dim to bring Scottish notes to  anywhere outside Scotland.  They don't even like them in England. 

This made me laugh too but I think you're a bit harsh with the "dim" remark. Everyone knows how canny the Scots are with money ????  

Hell, the Thai banks and exchanges won't even accept English notes if they're not pristine, have a tiny tear, staple hole or any writing on them!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

Thanks you so much

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

This made me laugh too but I think you're a bit harsh with the "dim" remark. Everyone knows how canny the Scots are with money ????  

Hell, the Thai banks and exchanges won't even accept English notes if they're not pristine, have a tiny tear, staple hole or any writing on them!

Same with any notes, I have some $$$$$$$$ with a pen mark on them, no bank will take them

• Like 1