Home visit by immigration tomorrow! I need three witnesses! Yikes!

Just got my marriage visa extension in Chiang Khan. I was told that there will be a home visit set up for tomorrow sometime. I was told that I need to find three witnesses and have them come to my house when the immigration arrives. They said they will call my wife to arrange a time for the visit tomorrow sometime. I need to know if one of the witness could be my wife's brother who lives in the next village. I have two other witnesses that are Thai friends who live about 3 villages away and they have agreed to come when the immigration will be here. Should I ask the village chief who knows us well to come to our house as a witness? Anyone who has been through this please let me know what to expect.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ctxa said:

Overall make sure to cook some tasty food for the Boys in Brown, it always helps to be kind, and treat them to a lunch. Even if you owe them nothing. 

I don't think bringing the chief is necessary at all. You'll do fine with just 3 witnesses. 

We don't actually live in the village though we are just a bit more than walking distance. Unfortunately we don't know many of the villagers because we just moved here a few months ago. We have friends that a bit far from us but they are willing to be our witnesses. I am not sure if the witnesses have to be in the same village. Plus don't know if we can have my wife's brother come as a witness since he is family. My main concern is the witnesses and I need to know if they have to be from the local village.

5 hours ago, thaisail said:

We don't actually live in the village though we are just a bit more than walking distance. Unfortunately we don't know many of the villagers because we just moved here a few months ago. We have friends that a bit far from us but they are willing to be our witnesses. I am not sure if the witnesses have to be in the same village. Plus don't know if we can have my wife's brother come as a witness since he is family. My main concern is the witnesses and I need to know if they have to be from the local village.

They can be anybody that knows you and is willing to attest you are living together as husband and wife. Whether they will accept a family member depends upon the officers that do the visit.

Perhaps have your wife ask them when they call to set up a time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Preacher said:

They will probably need to be on a tabien baan in your neighbourhood. I even had a high ranking police officer as witness, but he was denied because his tabian baan was in another province. 

Yes....my neighbor (Nonthaburi) was forced to advertise on Facebook group for our MooBaan for witnesses. He had to pay someone 1500 baht to join him and wife at Immigration. They denied Wife's work friend because not same Tambon...even though only about 10 minutes away.

3 witnesses, that have got to stop what they are doing, to be at your house for an Immigration visit of 3/4 minutes, that's a bit over the top isn't it.

Years ago I had 2 visits from the local police, each time it was 2 policemen, and no warning but no witnesses required either. Assume they did their own checks away from the house.

They did take photos of me in front of the house door, the sister-in-laws front door not mine, presumably it looked prettier than mine for the photo.

• Like 2

I submitted my application at ChockChai (Korat) immigration last Tuesday for a 1 year visa based on marriage. Was told at immigration to expect a visit from immigration police sometime within the next 2 weeks. The following day, received a phone call from immigration police asking if it would be convenient to visit within the next couple of hours but that we needed to have 2 respected witnesses present one of whom should be the village head man. Wife said we wouldn't be able to get the witnesses there at such short notice so the visit was agreed for the following day.

Got a call an hour after they said they would be here and we had to go and collect the officers to direct them to our house. The head of the village wasn't available so he sent his assistant and the shopkeeper over the road was the other witness. 3 male police officers turned up, sat straight down at the table outside and proceeded to fill out forms and check the wife's i/d and village books. Berated the wife because she hadn't updated her i/d from the old address but having both village books convinced them everything was above board. The witnesses also had to produce i/d and village books. Witness documents were checked and they were asked how well they knew both of us and were we living together as husband and wife. We had a group photo - me, the wife and both witnesses at the front of the house showing the house number, then I had to hold my passport in front of me for my solo photoshoot!

The whole process took about 20 minutes. They were not even interested in going inside the house (still, needed a clean up, anyway)! Very amiable even though I wasn't hardly involved in the process. One of the officers even shook my hand and said thank you sir, as they left. Good luck!

Edited by AllanD
spelling / grammar
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, thaisail said:

Just got my marriage visa extension in Chiang Khan. I was told that there will be a home visit set up for tomorrow sometime. I was told that I need to find three witnesses and have them come to my house when the immigration arrives. They said they will call my wife to arrange a time for the visit tomorrow sometime. I need to know if one of the witness could be my wife's brother who lives in the next village. I have two other witnesses that are Thai friends who live about 3 villages away and they have agreed to come when the immigration will be here. Should I ask the village chief who knows us well to come to our house as a witness? Anyone who has been through this please let me know what to expect.

Our office only asks for one witness, we get my sister-in-law from next door to do it every year and it's always been acceptable. They ask the same things every year like where, how and when we met, how long have we been married, am I a good boy, so it won't hurt to prepare them for that type of question. It's always been very amicable and there's never been any suggestion of payment/tea/petrol money.

1 hour ago, JJ Madcow said:

Everywhere i live, Thai as so helpful and never being a problem find people to help out.

Kindly.

Same here, Mrs BM could easily and quickly find 20 or 30 witnesses at a moment's notice, I could certainly think of more than that off the top of my head.

Usually the witnesses can be neighbours, friends, relatives, but should all be locals.

Make sure they bring their Tabien Baan and ID cards.

They sign an affirmation confirming you live together and the Immigration take a few photos.

Simple process, takes 10 minutes, nothing intrusive.

26 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Producing three witnesses after already jumping through a million hoops and producing a mountain of paperwork in the process. Thankfully, I have only ever had to produce one witness for Jomtien immigration.

If you can't produce 3 witnesses, friends, neighbours, then you must be know as the 'Adams Family'.

Years back when we registered our marriage, we had to have a character witness.  I took my old and infirm landlord in a samlor to the office.  He had been the superintendent of education for the province of Loei I believe.  Apparently he was well known, and the people in the office were apologizing for disturbing the old man.  555

23 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

When they came for my visit ( phetchabun ) one of the witness's had to be Poo Yai Baan, the other one was his assistant, they were the only 2 needed.

We also are in phetchabun and only needed the Poo Yai Baan and one other but, unlike other posters, we were informed up front that the cost for the visit would be 2,000bht. 

4 minutes ago, Lazybones said:

We also are in phetchabun and only needed the Poo Yai Baan and one other but, unlike other posters, we were informed up front that the cost for the visit would be 2,000bht. 

Yes, i also handed over 2000 baht, seems to be normal here, no idea why though.

It's strange as it's spoken about openly in the Imm office and in no way tried to be hidden.

23 hours ago, AllanD said:

I submitted my application at ChockChai (Korat) immigration last Tuesday for a 1 year visa based on marriage. Was told at immigration to expect a visit from immigration police sometime within the next 2 weeks. The following day, received a phone call from immigration police asking if it would be convenient to visit within the next couple of hours but that we needed to have 2 respected witnesses present one of whom should be the village head man. Wife said we wouldn't be able to get the witnesses there at such short notice so the visit was agreed for the following day.

Got a call an hour after they said they would be here and we had to go and collect the officers to direct them to our house. The head of the village wasn't available so he sent his assistant and the shopkeeper over the road was the other witness. 3 male police officers turned up, sat straight down at the table outside and proceeded to fill out forms and check the wife's i/d and village books. Berated the wife because she hadn't updated her i/d from the old address but having both village books convinced them everything was above board. The witnesses also had to produce i/d and village books. Witness documents were checked and they were asked how well they knew both of us and were we living together as husband and wife. We had a group photo - me, the wife and both witnesses at the front of the house showing the house number, then I had to hold my passport in front of me for my solo photoshoot!

The whole process took about 20 minutes. They were not even interested in going inside the house (still, needed a clean up, anyway)! Very amiable even though I wasn't hardly involved in the process. One of the officers even shook my hand and said thank you sir, as they left. Good luck!

This is why I changed back to retirement

• Like 2

In my case (retirement visa extension) the officers got them themselves, they just went to the neighbours and TOLD them to come to my house (the power of the uniform here) worked a treat. Many Thais don't want to get involved with authority so it may be that even friendly neighbours would refuse if you ask (I didn't but just let things evolve) but the officers know this and fix it themselves. You have to realize that they aren't (generally) vindictive, they have a job to do, it's tedious and the outcome is always the same, they would much prefer to be in their aircon office, so don't get nervous, it's not a big thing.

Edited by soalbundy

2 hours ago, Lazybones said:
On 2/17/2021 at 5:50 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

When they came for my visit ( phetchabun ) one of the witness's had to be Poo Yai Baan, the other one was his assistant, they were the only 2 needed.

I understand that when the Immigration Officers travel out to the villages etc to check the ‘marital residence’ they incur the travel costs themselves, they pay their own petrol etc... which in no way amounts to 2,000 baht BTW so the additional costs are ‘profiting’...  BUT, it is not the foreigners choice to be visited by Immigration and theoretically he has already paid for any checks when submitting the fees for the extension of stay application. 

Thus: What happens if a foreigner just turns round and refuses to pay?

I know they can make it harder etc.. but, I’m wondering what could happen. What could be used to reject the ‘application for extension of stay’ ?? 

Paying for fuel and travel costs is one thing (a few hundred baht), but paying 2,000 baht is obvious graft - What excuse if any is given for this charge ?

----

Of course, playing along with the game and taking the path of least resistance is the best way to deal with things here - so I’m just wondering what the consequences could be for someone who resists playing along. 

• Thanks 1

Was never asked for money on the home visit (6 years ago). They just had a glass of water, took a photo, talked to one witness and left. For the annual extension we sometimes take the B-in-L's girlfriend, her 'home' is another province, not a problem. No home visits since the first one.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 1:34 PM, jesimps said:

Producing three witnesses after already jumping through a million hoops and producing a mountain of paperwork in the process. Thankfully, I have only ever had to produce one witness for Jomtien immigration.

And that's the reality of it. It's not complaining, imo. Rather, objectively calling it for what it is. I like less hassle and easy going travels.

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I understand that when the Immigration Officers travel out to the villages etc to check the ‘marital residence’ they incur the travel costs themselves, they pay their own petrol etc... which in no way amounts to 2,000 baht BTW so the additional costs are ‘profiting’...  BUT, it is not the foreigners choice to be visited by Immigration and theoretically he has already paid for any checks when submitting the fees for the extension of stay application. 

Thus: What happens if a foreigner just turns round and refuses to pay?

I know they can make it harder etc.. but, I’m wondering what could happen. What could be used to reject the ‘application for extension of stay’ ?? 

Paying for fuel and travel costs is one thing (a few hundred baht), but paying 2,000 baht is obvious graft - What excuse if any is given for this charge ?

----

Of course, playing along with the game and taking the path of least resistance is the best way to deal with things here - so I’m just wondering what the consequences could be for someone who resists playing along. 

I appreciate this post very much.

Edited by Solinvictus