Monkeys still forced to pick coconuts in Thailand despite controversy

webfact

3 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Monkeys are the most filthy vile disease-ridden creatures on the planet.  They tear each other to shreds, and starve the weak.

And they are different from humans how ? A monkey does what it does on instinct..

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, wlx said:

I wonder what will be targeted next.

Pack animals like mules, camels, yaks etc which are used in parts of the world where there are no viable alternative means of transport?

^Guide dogs for the blind, search and rescue dogs, police dogs, ^^^^sheepdogs?

^Racehorses?

I’m sure we can find loads more examples which are important to certain ways of life and economics.

Snowflakes would be a good target!

• Haha 1

PETA . Thailand . Monkeys.

Thailand is a nice warm well organized country (for the most part) sunshine and palm trees. So it is a nice place to sit behind a keyboard looking for animal content to justify ones salary/existence. 

I'm sure the Cormorants in China would welcome moving to Thailand so they could get PETA's support. There might even be some sheep dogs in Yorkshire also?

I can honestly say that the monkeys that I have seen doing the harvesting actually enjoy doing some work & they are the best fed & cared for around.

Force fed civits having to swallow coffee beans withut chewing to me is far worse than a monkey doing what comes naturally, just running up a tree & picking coconuts

• Like 1

What's the difference between draught horses pulling wagons, ox pulling carts, buffaloes plowing fields, horses carrying riders, and monkeys picking coconuts? 
The monkey's probably have the easier job.  I don't see a problem other than there are probably more efficient ways of picking coconuts than a monkey. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ezzra said:

I don't understand this controversy at at all, are the monkeys being abused, overworked, starved maltreated or neglected in anyway shape of form? so what next? stop other farm animals from preforming their duties? theses are domesticated monkeys that have been trained to work, so it is ok to lock them up in small zoo cages for the rest of their lives and make money of them but it is wrong to send them up the tree to pick up a coconut?...

Exactly right! Are herding dogs "forced" to work? Watching the sheepdog trials, those dogs look like they're having fun, racing over the hillsides, bossing sheep around. Watch the dogs sniffing for contraband at an airport sometime. They're proud of themselves.  Horses? There are equestrian events in the Olympics. Any old carriage dray is happy to get out of the barn (and glad to head back after a day's work).

I'm as liberal, politically, as they come, but this is bleeding heart poppycock.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

Exactly right! Are herding dogs "forced" to work? Watching the sheepdog trials, those dogs look like they're having fun, racing over the hillsides, bossing sheep around. Watch the dogs sniffing for contraband at an airport sometime. They're proud of themselves.  Horses? There are equestrian events in the Olympics. Any old carriage dray is happy to get out of the barn (and glad to head back after a day's work).

I'm as liberal, politically, as they come, but this is bleeding heart poppycock.  

Sheepdogs are domesticated animals that have been selectively bred for hundreds of years to do that job. 

Monkeys are wild animals, that belong in the forest. Nearly all are taken from the wild by illegal hunting when they are babies, often they kill the young monkeys mother to get the young one.

Then they are kept on a chain the rest of their lives and when not working up the coconut tree they are housed in isolation in a small metal cage.  They often have their teeth ripped out with no anesthetic so they can't bite people and are fed unhealthy unnatural diets that make them sick.  If they don't do as they are told they are often hit or yelled at.

See the difference? 

8 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Dogs FORCED to round up sheep in England...............Out working in all weathers--inhuman conditions...........:w00t:

The HORROR!

I have no earthly idea where people get the idea that living a life free in the wild is somehow a good thing.  They are only thinking of getting food and not starving to death every day.  

Then there is the other side of the coin, zoos, where they are so bored they probably wish they were dead.  

What do I know?  Opinions right?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Monkeys are the most filthy vile disease-ridden creatures on the planet.  They tear each other to shreds, and starve the weak.

The monkeys that are kept for this kind of work have a great life and have it easy.

Honestly, drive by one of those temples and just look at those things.  

Humans can be proud of their heritage 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Blumpie said:

The monkeys that are kept for this kind of work have a great life and have it easy.

Honestly, drive by one of those temples and just look at those things.  

Swap monkeys for politicians and and you're spot on.