Biden says world on cusp of some 'real breakthroughs' on cancer

webfact

15 hours ago, placeholder said:

You definitely don't want to be defending the safety of the Thai food supply. Repeatedly when inspections of fresh markets takes place, formaldehyde is found to contaminate much of the food. Formaldehyde is a potent carcinogen. And pesticides prohibited elsewhere are still in use in Thailand. The relative  healthfulness of the Thai diet comes from eating smaller portions,  less animal products and eating more produce. 

When I first set foot in Thailand, diet for the common folk was mainly rice and vegetables, with some chicken, pork or fish, and most worked physically. Obesity was pretty much unknown. The obese people were the rich eg Miss Jumbo competition.

Since western fast food became common, obesity has become widespread, though it may not be the only reason for it. Go in any rural store and it's full of sugar and salt laden snack food and drink. It was so sad to see schoolkids, buying junk food from 7 11 and fatty snacks from street vendors- some of them were already obese.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, connda said:

So, you postpone dying a nasty death in nappies to a later date. But you still die a nasty death in nappies (probably a nasty death because your Thai "caregivers and doctors refuse to provide sufficient palliative drugs to reliever your suffering because?  "Its your Karma to die badly."  No it's not.  These are just ignorant or evil health care practitioners who simply don't care to alleviate your agony.  And most are Buddhists so - there is their own future karma - dying in agony and being refused palliative care that is available. Yeah - Karma's a b****.  

I've watch a whole lot of villagers come down with cancer, get chemo, then die within 3 years. 

Here's the real problem.  Everybody dies!  Most are scared <deleted>less of dying and would do anything to avoid it.  But at the end of the day the best you're going to do with extreme medical intervention is to push the date out a few months or a couple of years while your quality of life goes down to toilet.  Now?  Of course there are the Sigma 3 outliers who fully recover and go on to live a productive life for another 10, 15, or 20 years.  But - that's not the norm.

A better approach?  Accept your mortality.  Stop fighting the inevitable.
"Live happily and die majestically.”
–B. K. S. Iyengar

Good post. I had the op because I was told by the medics that it was the best way to allow me to be able to urinate. That was long ago, and now there are ways to free up urination without destroying ones ability to enjoy a full life.

Given what I know now I'd trade a longer fun devoid life for a fun life that lasted less time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

<SNIP>

Can't imagine Biden is correct with his announcements, cancer is too profitable to cure.

And creating a cancer charity that spends all the money collected on lobbyists(?) probably won't help.

As already highlighted in this topic:

The Associated Press reported in 2019, the charity “promoted nearly 60 partnerships with drug companies, health care firms, charities and other organizations that pledged more than $400 million to improve cancer treatment.”

• Like 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

Isn't that what I typed?

No. You posted  "creating a cancer charity that spends all the money collected on lobbyists(?) probably won't help."

Biden's charity invested US$2.5m on lobbying, which generated  funds of US$400m for cancer treatment improvements. Whilst billions are invested with improving cancer treatments, Biden's charity achieved an excellent contribution / return on investment in a short period of time -  he and his team are to be congratulated, not criticised.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, simple1 said:

No. You posted  "creating a cancer charity that spends all the money collected on lobbyists(?) probably won't help."

Biden's charity invested US$2.5m on lobbying, which generated  funds of US$400m for cancer treatment improvements. Whilst billions are invested with improving cancer treatments, Biden's charity achieved an excellent contribution / return on investment in a short period of time -  he and his team are to be congratulated, not criticised.

Same as far as I can see, I just say it straight out, while you say it adding a bit of positive spin.

'spends all the money on lobbyists' = 'invested $2.5M on lobbying'

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When I first set foot in Thailand, diet for the common folk was mainly rice and vegetables, with some chicken, pork or fish, and most worked physically. Obesity was pretty much unknown. The obese people were the rich eg Miss Jumbo competition.

Since western fast food became common, obesity has become widespread, though it may not be the only reason for it. Go in any rural store and it's full of sugar and salt laden snack food and drink. It was so sad to see schoolkids, buying junk food from 7 11 and fatty snacks from street vendors- some of them were already obese.

My sister came to Thailand last year after an absence of over ten years, she commented on how shocked she was at seeing so many fat and overweight Thai people.

As you point out, the diet of many has changed  and it’s not just western food, yesterday evening I went to the local night market where I bought some delicious grilled chicken, but most stalls we’re selling deep fried foods and as you say much of it is sugar laden.

A second culprit is sweet coffee drinks, I’m a coffee addict, an Americano with breakfast and then an espresso sometime mid morning at one of a few of my favorite cafes ( Thai people really do know how to run a welcoming cafe). 

I see one after another after another customer ordering sugar (syrup) and cream laden creations, I suspect each contains around half a day’s calorie needs. Millions of these people are, like me, coffee addicts, but their daily  ‘coffee’ is a real health threat.

With regards to exercise, yes people are living more sedatory lives, I often remark few will walk 5 meters if they can hitch a ride.

But exercise doesn’t address over eating.

I, like many sports cyclists, record my cycling data with a computer that estimates calories burned during each ride. A full effort training ride burns about 700 calories an hour a hard group race burns around 900, around about the same calories as one of those ‘coffee creations’ and of course the first outcome of exercise is hunger and the need to eat.

I’m not sure Thailand is anywhere near waking up to the wide scale public health problem of obesity, but t it’s already visibly becoming a problem.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Same as far as I can see, I just say it straight out, while you say it adding a bit of positive spin.

Spending US$2.5m generating US$400m for additional investment in cancer treatment is a 'bit of positive spin" ????

You mentioned none of the people you know who had cancer survived after treatment,  I'm one of them who did survive after being treated for advanced aggressive cancer, discovered just in time after routine blood test - countless millions of people recover from cancer after treatment.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, placeholder said:

You definitely don't want to be defending the safety of the Thai food supply. Repeatedly when inspections of fresh markets takes place, formaldehyde is found to contaminate much of the food. Formaldehyde is a potent carcinogen. And pesticides prohibited elsewhere are still in use in Thailand. The relative  healthfulness of the Thai diet comes from eating smaller portions,  less animal products and eating more produce. 

I would agree with your post, however it wasn't so much aimed at extolling the virtues of the Thai regulatory system, for which virtue is difficult to find.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Personally I'd rather be sleeping WITH someone in LOS ( and not getting much actual sleep if you know what I mean ), living a life of bar excess and late nights, and die before I have to be committed to a rest home to rot in front of day time tv. I might die sooner than I'm going to, but it'd be far more fun while I was living it.

That is my dream....but the wife doesn't seem to share it.....???

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

So you're claiming that all their money was spent on lobbyists? Got any proof of that?

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The post he cited never claimed that. You're the one who made the assertion. He is in no way responsible for the allegation you made. Take responsibility for what you wrote and back it up.

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

The post he cited never claimed that. You're the one who made the assertion. He is in no way responsible for the allegation you made. Take responsibility for what you wrote and back it up.

You asked, I answered, if you don't like the answer put me on ignore and don't read my posts.

Like I just did with you.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

You asked, I answered, if you don't like the answer put me on ignore and don't read my posts.

And I pointed out that your answer was inadequate. And it still is. And no self-serving retreat can change that.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Good post. I had the op because I was told by the medics that it was the best way to allow me to be able to urinate. That was long ago, and now there are ways to free up urination without destroying ones ability to enjoy a full life.

Given what I know now I'd trade a longer fun devoid life for a fun life that lasted less time.

#MeToo

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Personally I'd rather be sleeping WITH someone in LOS ( and not getting much actual sleep if you know what I mean ), living a life of bar excess and late nights, and die before I have to be committed to a rest home to rot in front of day time tv. I might die sooner than I'm going to, but it'd be far more fun while I was living it.

For once, you and I agree even if our ideas of what is fun differ.

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Isn't that what I typed?

What you should have typed was:

$$$Cha-Ching$$$

What does Cancer and Covid have in common other then the first letter in their names?
A whole lot when it comes to Big Pharma profits.

But, at least in the West you're allow to purchase palliative opioids while your in the end-stage dying.  On the plus side for Thai citizens, if they want chemo it doesn't bankrupt them and their families as it does in the West if you don't have a high priced / high payout insurance policy that is actually passes Underwriting.
Here in Thailand the docs hand you a bottle of paracetamol and wishes you a brave death as they consider you deserve the agony in their Buddhist compassion because of your bad karma. 
"OHHHH!!!", you say, "That's Not True!!!"  Yeah it is.  For most. 
The problem being is that over the last decade I've watched a bunch of villagers who were friends or acquaintances die of cancer.  Basically they are sent home with Tylenol, never given morphine (can't use it at home) or any other palliative meds, and given no support other than the support their family or caregivers can provide.  "Go die an agonizing death at home and don't bother the medical community with your bad karma."

Buddhist Compassion 101 in a nutshell.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tifino said:

getting back to the OP...  maybe 46 is planning to finally legalise Vitamin B17? 

It's not illegally.  You can buy organic fruit pits ladened with B17. 
Now?  Is it effective?  If you believe that low-dosing cyanide is effective?  Maybe?

On 3/5/2021 at 11:56 AM, GroveHillWanderer said:

That's just not true though is it?

I subscribe to a daily newsletter from a site called Technology Networks. Not a day goes by when there isn't at least one story (and often several) about groundbreaking and/or incredibly promising new developments in cancer research.

Here's a link to the section of their website dedicated to cancer research.

Cancer Research News 

Take a look - I think you'll find that there's an awful lot more going on, than you could ever have imagined.

So much promise. Yet, for those suffering from cancer, the options are ridiculously overpriced radiation, chemo or death. Alot of promise there. Real progress. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 11:43 AM, Eric Loh said:

There are much development in cancer cures than radiation therapy although most are still work in progress. There are also research development on gene therapy. 

https://www.bestmedicaldegrees.com/experimental-cancer-treatments/

Hundreds of billions are being spent on "cancer research". Yet, where are the cures? Where is the progress in oncological treatments? Where are the cost savings? 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

well your ignore function needs work.

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Hundreds of billions are being spent on "cancer research". Yet, where are the cures? Where is the progress in oncological treatments? Where are the cost savings? 

Is it your assertion there should not be any research. That no matter how much they try its not helping. Or that its just a money spinner and they dont want one?

1 hour ago, connda said:

It's not illegally.  You can buy organic fruit pits ladened with B17. 
Now?  Is it effective?  If you believe that low-dosing cyanide is effective?  Maybe?

well, if you purely 'swallow' apple seeds for example - but DO Not Chew them - 

- I since found that one could actually buy B17 in tablet form...   

I initially heard of the B17 route, via online news back in 44s potus period in office - when some poor fella advertised the theories of B17 online in the US... he was arrested and Jailed... because he actually stated B17 cures cancer, and big pharma too offence at the potential for huge losses in profits

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Cancer can't really be "cured" though it can be put into remission, allowing people to survive for longer periods. The progress can be seen in the fact that survival rates for cancer have been steadily improving for decades now.

Here's a quote from Cancer Research UK:

Ten-year survival has followed the same trend as one- and five-year survival since the early 1970s.

Ten-year age-standardised net survival for all cancers combined in England and Wales has increased from 20% during 1971-1972 to a predicted survival of 46% during 2010-2011 in men, and from 28% to 54% over the same time period in women.

Overall, half of people diagnosed with cancer today are predicted to survive their disease for at least ten years.

UK cancer survival statistics

There are newer and more successful treatments for cancer that are being found every year. Just to give one example, in the area of leukemia and lymphoma:

Progress in new cancer treatments is accelerating so rapidly that the standard of care for many cancer patients is changing right before our very eyes.

Since 2017, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved a remarkable 53 therapies just to treat patients with blood cancers, and The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) has helped advance 46 of these treatments.

Advances in cancer research & treatment 2020

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 6:09 PM, from the home of CC said:

grant chasers are the same all over - even worse when it comes to climate 'science' - if you're taking the paycheck - you're 'owned'..

Curiously, no-one ever talks about the funding of the 5% of scientists who seek to oppose climate science.

Apostrophes omitted.

The advances Biden is talking about are most probably based on immunology, nothing as effective as getting the body itself to fight the invader, because there are no side effects to an immune system.

I can speak from experience, diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2006, probably had it for about 18 months prior to that. BCG immunotherapy is the reason I'm still here.

• Like 1