U.S. Federal Tax Return Efiling to Refund Time

Just checked the Get My Payment website for the IRS and this magically appeared.

Payment Status

We scheduled your payment to be deposited on March 24, 2021 to the bank account below.

Bank Account Number: ************

If you don't see your payment credited to your account, check with your bank to verify they received it. We will mail you a letter with additional information on this payment.

If you need additional help, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.

Don't claim refund exceeding $5000 if you use a non-US address.  Instead apply the entire overpaid to next year's tax.

I just called the IRS was told they need to verify my ID because I have used a non-US address ( which I have been doing for years) and my refund exceeds $5000 .

Waiting for instruction letter in the mail, there will be a phone number and an extension for the purpose of ID verification. I can't verify online, again because I have a non-US address.

I filed on Feb 20, the bars on WMR disappeared after a few days and I am stucked here:

Screenshot 2021-03-24 083542.jpg

Edited by Thailand J

A quick search showed a few limitiations on refunds:

Three Direct Deposits in one year - hopefully those stimulus deposits don't count. See Topic 152

Could not find anthing about a $5,000 limit.

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Confused on this part of your post.

Colored progression bars which display the current status of your return on Where's My Refund or IRS2Go app.

Return Recieved-->Refund Approved-->Refund Sent.

I've been stuck on Return Received (eFiled) for ~ 15 days, my refund is ~ $4,000-ish.

Edited by mtls2005
46 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

A quick search showed a few limitiations on refunds:

Three Direct Deposits in one year - hopefully those stimulus deposits don't count. See Topic 152

Could not find anthing about a $5,000 limit.

Colored progression bars which display the current status of your return on Where's My Refund or IRS2Go app.

Return Recieved-->Refund Approved-->Refund Sent.

I've been stuck on Return Received (eFiled) for ~ 15 days, my refund is ~ $4,000-ish.

Thanks for the clarification.  When I checked the system for my getmypayment.com it only either said not eligible or the most recent update of March 24th.  I file my taxe paperwork through TT and they give updates on when received, processed and when the repayment will arrive by my direct deposit.  Only time I used the regular IRS portal is when I filed a mailed in amended return.

IRS agent told be the reason for the ID verification is that I have a non US address and the refund exceeds 5k.  She didn't said 5k is the limit nor there is one. I will keep the refund minimum for the future.

The instruction letter was mailed out on March 1 to my Thai address, which i have not receive.

I feel better as the agent told me my return has been processed and everything was acceptable, refund will go out as soon as I have called the number on the instruction letter and verified my ID.

I have found similar case in online forums but I do not want to call the phone numbers posted in the forums. Better wait for the letter.

Edited by Thailand J
4 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

IRS agent told be the reason for the ID verification is that I have a non US address and the refund exceeds 5k.  She didn't said 5k is the limit nor there is one. I will keep the refund minimum for the future.

OK, now I'm confused. The problem was a Non-U.S. address? A refund of more than $5,000? Both?

And what prompted you to call? The lack of detail at WMR?

And who do you call to verfiy your ID?

Could be some fraud protection automation kicked in?

Edited by mtls2005

I expect Thailand J's return triggered identity theft suspicion as the IRS system uses hundreds of processing filters in trying to catch fraudulent returns/identify theft.    Expect one of those filters is the combination of overseas address and a refund of at least $5,000....that is, must meet both criteria as lots of folks file with overseas addresses....but when adding in the BIG refund then I expect the IRS wants to make sure a case of ID theft is not underway especially for a return using an overseas address. 

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/when-to-file-a-form-14039-identity-theft-affidavit

FS-2018-6, April 2018

Taxpayers who experience tax-related identity theft may wonder when they should file a Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit.

In the vast majority of tax-related identity theft cases, there is no need to file the Form 14039 affidavit. The Form 14039 affidavit should be filed if the taxpayer attempts to file an electronic tax return and the IRS rejects it because a return bearing the taxpayer’s Social Security number already has been filed. Or, it should be filed if the IRS instructs the taxpayer to do so.

Here’s why:

In most cases of tax-related identity theft, the IRS identifies a suspicious tax return based on hundreds of processing filters and pulls the suspicious return for review. The IRS will send a letter to the taxpayer and will not process the tax return until hearing back from the taxpayer.

In this situation, the taxpayer will receive Letter 5071C, which will ask them to use an online tool to verify their identity and tell the IRS if they filed the return in question. A variation, Letter 4883C, will ask the taxpayer to call the IRS to verify their identity and tell the IRS if they filed the return. For those who have been a victim of a data breach, they may receive Letter 5747C and be asked to verify their identity in person at a Taxpayer Assistance Center.

And in my googling below website says they will not even credit a tax return towards next year's taxes if the return triggers some flags.    Large refunds are probably much more prone for audit and/or ID theft verification....probably best to adjust tax withholding to avoid large returns if possible vs giving Uncle Sam a large tax free loan throughout the year.

https://www.jacksonhewitt.com/tax-help/tax-tips-topics/irs-audits-notices/irs-notice-5071c/

*A Letter 5747C is also sent to verify your identity for a previous year return. If the IRS doesn't hear back from you, they may not process your return, issue refunds, or apply any overpayments to next year’s estimated tax.

Edited by Pib

Intuit Turbo Real Money Talk Community  after reading comments of this site it seems while some  refunds can be identify theft verifications but most state they claimed a credit for the stimulus checks on line 30 on the return and IRS needs time to verify. But someone at Turbo Tax says it is backlog in processing returns. This is caused by stopping work on them to process stimulus checks.  Some who called IRS were told could take up to 10 weeks for a refund.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

Intuit Turbo Real Money Talk Community  after reading comments of this site it seems while some  refunds can be identify theft verifications but most state they claimed a credit for the stimulus checks on line 30 on the return and IRS needs time to verify. But someone at Turbo Tax says it is backlog in processing returns. This is caused by stopping work on them to process stimulus checks.  Some who called IRS were told could take up to 10 weeks for a refund.

As with anything involving the IRS and the Federal Government YMMV.  My returns were done at the end of February, within 5 days the refunds were in, and just this week on the 24th my stimulus check hit the account.  As I said, anything can happen and you never know.  Everyone has their own tax issues which can or can not affect their returns and refunds.

1 hour ago, pmarlin said:

There can be a lot of good info at blogs such as above but there is also a lot posts where one or a few people post a story about how long their return/stimulus check is taking and then a lot of people take that to mean all/most returns are being impacted similarly when if fact it's just applies to some peoples' return.  

Heck, when it comes to payment of the 3rd stimulus payment the IRS has already distributed 127 million of the payments which is the great majority of the 3rd stimulus payments to be be.    Once people drawing SS/VA who didn't need to file a return start getting paid in bulk, the IRS will have complete the great, great majority of the 3rd stimulus payment law.  Then you are left with those folks which have tax record issues....that is, something in their tax records that is missing, in error, questionable, etc., that puts their stimulus payment in limbo until the issue is resolved....and issue that sometimes can take months and months especially when snail mail documents must flow back and forth between the IRS and the individual.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-treasury-disburse-another-37-million-economic-impact-payments-from-the-american-rescue-plan

R-2021-63, March 24, 2021

WASHINGTON — Today, the Internal Revenue Service, the U.S. Department of the Treasury and the Bureau of the Fiscal Service announced they are disbursing approximately 37 million payments in the second batch of Economic Impact Payments from the American Rescue Plan. This brings the total disbursed payments from the American Rescue Plan to approximately 127 million payments worth approximately $325 billion.

Payment to the SSA folks has lagged  because of "SSA" delay (repeat, SSA delay) in providing the necessary info to the IRS.  The SSA just over the last few days signed a reimbursement agreement with the IRS to obtain money from the IRS so the SSA can pay costs related to providing the info to the IRS....costs like contract software reprogramming, overtime, etc.  Basically, the SSA was blaming the IRS for the SSA's delay in providing the required info....and the SSA needed money from the IRS to pay costs associated with providing the data.

Like ThailandRyan said in the post above everyone has their own tax issues with can affect how fast their return is processed.   Tax returns are kinda like fingerprints....everyone has a different one.

• Thanks 1

My accountant efiled a  married filing jointly 1040 ! I'm or we  are getting a refund ( first time for me having my wife on the 1040 ,by using the ITIN#)! They sent a check to my Thai address with pay to the order of her and I  on the check! 

I  attempted to deposit it via Capitalone Banks mobile app but  a message popped up saying "mobile deposits are only available when we can determine if you're in the USA" .

I haven't tried my other bank(Schwab ) yet!

What is the best way of cashing this!

Thanks

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

within 5 days the refunds were in

Did you claim any Rebate Recovery Credit, for missing EIPs, on Line 30?

20 hours ago, pmarlin said:

but most state they claimed a credit for the stimulus checks on line 30 on the return and IRS needs time to verify

Yeah, this makes sense, and I saw similar situations on various forums, blogs, and I'm in this category. Claimed missing EIP #1 ($1,200) on Line 30. Plan to wait a few more weeks, then maybe call.

I included a cover letter (PDF attachment to my eFile - no clue if they look at those) documenting all of my attempts to find my $1,200. Various Reps I dealt with mentioned that these efforts would be recorded in my "file", whatever that might mean.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Have seen reports here of success using the Schwab app for depositing EIP checks.

I guess I'd try a VPN too, certainly for Capital One.

I don't know if it makes a difference but this is a tax refund,its not tied to the economy payments that everyone has gotten from the states!

Those have been direct deposited in my  bank in the states!

I am also worried about the check being addressed to my Thai address if I try to use Schwab's mobile app!

I don't think I would try using Cap One again since I already tried once and  I don't want any red flags going up especially since they are my second go to  for atm withdrawals ,but it is tempting.

What are my options here ? I have a Bangkok and Kasikhorn bank accounts

Thanks

16 minutes ago, riclag said:

What are my options here ? I have a Bangkok and Kasikhorn bank accounts

Thanks

You can cash/deposit it at Bangkok Bank....will take about two weeks to clear although the bank will probably quote a longer period....fee will be $15 plus Bt3 stamp duty and you will get the bank's Sight Bill/Cheque Buying exchange rate.

20 minutes ago, Pib said:

You can cash/deposit it at Bangkok Bank....will take about two weeks to clear although the bank will probably quote a longer period....fee will be $15 plus Bt3 stamp duty and you will get the bank's Sight Bill/Cheque Buying exchange rate.

So about $20 when all is said and done!  I will try this up here in Sakon Nakhon,with Fingers crossed !  

Thanks

3 hours ago, riclag said:

So about $20 when all is said and done!  I will try this up here in Sakon Nakhon,with Fingers crossed !  

Thanks

About $15 plus 3 baht.   You pay the fee in baht....they will convert the $15 fee to a baht fee by using their Bill-DD-TT Selling Exchange Rate  and then add-on the 3 baht govt fee. 

I went to the BKK Bank up here in sakon nakhon! They told my wife and I that we needed to open a joint account to deposit the US  tax refund check that was made out to  her and I  and possibly wait 45 days for it to show up in our account!

I'm ok  with all of the above ,including the almost 500 bht fee for them to transact the check!

They made us  endorse the back of the check  twice! She signed in Thai which I thought was wrong but they insisted this is how its done!