300 Baht for certificate of residence - take it or leave it !

PHUKET:

went in last week for a cor, she told me 300 baht, i told her but its free

she told me, ok , for you, free

sat down, waited 5 minutes, walked out with it

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcIssan said:

I visited a Thai legal services website not long ago and they discussed what we farangs might call bribes and labeled them as 'customer service' fees.  These ad hoc fees are to assure our paperwork gets process expeditiously and without error.  The government agent to whom you paid will then take a personal interest in assuring everything goes smoothly.  The site mentioned these are customary fees and the price can vary between provinces and among officials within a province.  So if a person wants 'expedited' personal service, pay the fees.

They are no official fees otherwise you would get a receipt. It would be interesting to know who gets the money and even more interesting to understand why nothing is done against this. 

24 minutes ago, Oldie said:

They are no official fees otherwise you would get a receipt. It would be interesting to know who gets the money and even more interesting to understand why nothing is done against this. 

Its part of the paypackage.Do you begrudge them a tip that badly? 

• Like 1

I always get it for free from CM immigration. I guess fee/no fee depends on type of visa. 
but I remember some years ago I paid 100-200 at CW Bangkok and received a receipt. I just don't remember what type of visa I was on at the time. 

Edited by The Theory

1 hour ago, The Theory said:

I always get it for free from CM immigration. I guess fee/no fee depends on type of visa. 
but I remember some years ago I paid 100-200 at CW Bangkok and received a receipt. I just don't remember what type of visa I was on at the time. 

My office is 500baht when I had mine done, they also charge 2000baht for extensions not 1900baht. 

There's a few other service fees too. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, ndreamer said:

My office is 500baht when I had mine done, they also charge 2000baht for extensions not 1900baht. 

There's a few other service fees too. 

Never have understood why folk state "my office....." It's more helpful just to state the name of the office. 

Mine is CW and yes they charge 200baht for RC and 1900 baht for extension.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

I don't deal with government offices. I use an agent to take care of such things.

That's fine ,but you Pay More for their service, and some is Illegal. 

I do all my own By the Book (Legal).

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 6:08 AM, mancub said:

Ubon Tourist Police...( Immigration won't issue said form) insist there is a 'service charge' of 300 bt. 

500bht from Chom Chom and has been for years. and takes hour and half to get there if driving (all day if going by mini van/bus ). I might have to try the agent route next time. At !000bht it would save me money and time . who knows an agent in Surin ?

On 3/11/2021 at 1:26 PM, problemfarang said:

dont want to start an argument but i think its normal to have a fee for a service... and 300 is not that bad tbh

what the yanks say?  we dont negotiate with terrerists!  once you give them a little they want more, never ends....

instead of stealing they should be fired.... not job... gone... thats more of the solution..

is big joke comming back?

On 3/11/2021 at 1:08 PM, mancub said:

Ubon Tourist Police...( Immigration won't issue said form) insist there is a 'service charge' of 300 bt.  They refuse to offer  any form of receipt or show any paperwork regarding this fee. Is this normal and accepted practice now or was it always thus ? 

I have never been charged in Phuket in 20 years , I must have had about 12 off them over the years , and quite rightly , as its free .

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

1000 in Chiang Mai through an agent. Or I can go to a hassle of a  US consul appointment and pay them more!

So not only are the Agent and the Immigration officer breaking the law, you are too. 

This form is free in Khon Kaen. 

It will remain 300 baht in Udon if people keep paying ans no one complains. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/11/2021 at 1:08 PM, mancub said:

Ubon Tourist Police...( Immigration won't issue said form) insist there is a 'service charge' of 300 bt.  They refuse to offer  any form of receipt or show any paperwork regarding this fee. Is this normal and accepted practice now or was it always thus ? 

Welcome to Thailand... always & forever.

2 hours ago, Brick Top said:

I have never been charged in Phuket in 20 years , I must have had about 12 off them over the years , and quite rightly , as its free .

I did late last year phuket asked 300, I said ok receipt then the "I SERVICE YOU" omg..... listen to it....

suk m ...

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Immigration are quick to see when foreigners are going to bend over and say "yes please, Mr Immigration officer".

Many are too worried about their visa and pay this nationwide extortion. 

I never paid in 25+ years. 

Everytime you pay, just remember you are making it worse for those who don't want to partake in corruption. 

“A hard man is good to find”....bet your fun when it’s your shout

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No wonder it's free in KK. The majority of agent assisted extensions are done at KK immigration sent from Pattaya, Bangkok or wherever.

Really? They certainly have a reputation here.

• Confused 1

On 3/11/2021 at 1:20 PM, PatOngo said:

Ah, they charged you the skin tax! (White)! Did you get the free lunch for 1000THB?

Are you suggesting that black. brown and Asian expats don't pay the fee? My wife has the same colour skin as the Immigration police, so according to your theory, she doesn't pay for a certificate of residence?

• Like 1

The immigration office I go To are super nice folks.. it was long ago I got 2 ( Car and Moto) don’t recall being asked to pay ..

but I gave they a couple hundred baht for quick painless service..

At 300 you really didn’t get taken for a ride.. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

Are you suggesting that black. brown and Asian expats don't pay the fee? My wife has the same colour skin as the Immigration police, so according to your theory, she doesn't pay for a certificate of residence?

If you were smart enough to read between the lines you would read ( non Thai)My wife has the same color skin as the IO, she pays nothing....she's Thai!????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

If you were smart enough to read between the lines you would read ( non Thai)My wife has the same color skin as the IO, she pays nothing....she's Thai!????

Nevertheless it was a nonsensical statement ("skin tax"). Most people who are extorted or asked for tea money by Thai officials are fellow Thai citizens. Just not immigration officials usually, as they deal almost exclusively with foreigners.

On 3/11/2021 at 1:27 PM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

But like the immigration offices, each sets their own rules and can do whatever.

No they can't. But it's spineless individuals that allow them to get away with what they do. Just tell that you phoned the immigration hotline and they told you that the service is free. All services provided by immigration are in their rule book along with the fee charged. Ask if you can see it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1