Thailand says Moderna to apply for COVID-19 vaccine approval this month

snoop1130

Thailand says Moderna to apply for COVID-19 vaccine approval this month

By Panarat Thepgumpanat

download.jpg

FILE PHOTO: A detail view of a Moderna COVID-19 vaccine box at a vaccination site at the Esports Stadium Arlington & Expo Center in Arlington, Texas, U.S. February 12, 2021. REUTERS/Cooper Neill

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Moderna will submit to Thailand its application for approval for its COVID-19 vaccine this month, a health official said on Thursday, as the country gets ready for its mass vaccination drive.

Surachoke Tangwiwat, a senior Food and Drug Administration (FDA) official, told Reuters that in addition to Moderna, India’s Bharat Biotech had started sending documents for registration of its vaccine.

Bharat Biotech’s vaccine showed interim efficacy of 81% in late-stage clinical trials, the firm said this month.

The FDA is expected to reach a decision this month on the vaccine of Johnson and Johnson, Surachoke said.

Thailand has so far has approved the vaccines of Sinovac Biotech and AstraZeneca.

It has administered about 36,000 of the 200,000 recently received doses of Sinovac’s CoronaVac. Another 800,000 doses are due to arrive on March 25, for use mainly among health workers and high-risk groups.

Thailand, which has recorded just over 26,500 coronavirus infections and 85 fatalities, has also received 117,300 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, which Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha and his cabinet will be inoculated with on Friday.

Thailand from June will manufacture that vaccine locally, for regional distribution, with 61 million doses reserved so far for its mass immunisation drive.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-03-11

that's around 1 month for thai moderna approval.

probably another one for import.

So, realistically, in about 3 months at wider availability at private hospitals.

Johnson was just approved in the usa, canada.  Production just started. It won't be available in thailand till the end of year, 80% of planned production is already contracted. Strange, that they have decided to register so early

Edited by internationalism

3 hours ago, internationalism said:

that's around 1 month for thai moderna approval.

probably another one for import.

So, realistically, in about 3 months at wider availability at private hospitals.

Johnson was just approved in the usa, canada.  Production just started. It won't be available in thailand till the end of year, 80% of planned production is already contracted. Strange, that they have decided to register so early

That just puts them on the tail end of a months (years?) long delivery schedule.

I have not read any other posts on this thread 

Thailand is a s bad as the EU - they dropped the ball on this 

oh but wait - not for the same reasons 

EU/Brussels wants to be in control of everything  and they failed 

Thailand unelected want to fill their pockets and that failed too

what a sick world we live in 

Prayut refuses to take the CHINA vaccine - his unelected pretend they got a shot of China for the camera,  anyone that agrees with me you can tick the button

Just as well us dirty farangs are here to call them out on their dirty deeds, I just hope the people of Thailand are not stupid enough to buy into this B S 

which hub is it we are going to now ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Phaser said:

My close friends and even not so close friends have already been fully vaccinated with Moderna or Pfizer in the USA now - Thailand is way behind the curve on this !! 

I thai man.  Stay in usa.  I hab moderna waxine already.  555

• Like 1

8 hours ago, internationalism said:

First it is Moderna not Johnson & Johnson that have applied for Thai approval.

Secondly, US Prez Biden used The Defense Production Act, to have Merck Pharmaceutical help manufacture rival (J&J) vaccine at their facilities. He has also pushed to have Moderna and Pfizer increase production. This will enable the US to have complete vaccination of the population by May. At least two months earlier than previous estimates. This ramping up will increase vaccine available on the open market. Not just the Johnson and Johnson vaccine; Pfizer and Moderna vaccines as well.  
|
One hopes this will help with Thailand's vaccination plans, but maybe not.      

12 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

Lovely. There is just a small detail that will need to be  taken care of - access to the Moderna vaccine. 

If only being considered for approval now, that suggests Thailand is at the end of a very long, long line of customers. 90% of all orders Moderna was capable of making for 2021 & 2022  were already pre-purchased by countries who provided money for  R&D and production   Thailand   was nowhere to be found last year when countries were preparing for vaccine.  If the EU already has made special order for an extra purchase of 150 million dose in 2021 and has option to buy an additional 150 million in 2022,  and USA has another 100 million big order in addition to 200 million in pipeline with the priority of all shipments  from USA, it is very unlikely  Thailand will get the vaccine in sufficient quantity.  Australia  has been trying to get and could not. Canada preordered and will be lucky if it gets a few million doses in 2021.  And even though Moderna is one of the few manufacturers to waive patent protection for poor countries, only a few countries have knowledge and equipment to make the vaccine.

So I think  maybe person who is excited for announcement is the type of person who was often missing bus for school and then work and was always being left behind. 

Actually, the approval of the vaccine in Thailand would mean that Thailand would recognize the vaccination completed in another country. This would be a benefit for the tourism industry as it would open the doors for many Americans and maybe Europeans.

Thailand has already accepted sinovac (China) and Astra (Europe) - again good for tourism 

3 hours ago, Dialemco said:

Vaccination programme will not cover most of population this year so looks like no  substantial International tourism until 2022 earliest

There are studies now that the Pfizer vaccine also prevents asymptomatic infection. Moderna works on the same basis.

If no asymptomatic and no severe infection, this means that anyone with the vaccine can not pass it on - so no reason to not let them enter

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

I wonder if they will chicken out this time on the news from Europe?

According to BBC News he already has:

"Thailand has delayed the rollout of the AstraZeneca's Covid-19 vaccine over reports of blood clots, despite there being no evidence of this.

The country's prime minister was due to kick off the country's vaccination drive by getting the jab on Friday. This has now been cancelled.

The delay comes after a number of countries, including Denmark and Norway, suspended the use of the jab."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

According to BBC News he already has

Yeah, saw that after I posted.

Knee-jerk reactions all around, the actual number of issues is tiny to miniscule compared with the number of doses given.

Probably a greater risk of being hit by lightning whilst in the bath (yes, it does happen).

• Like 2

Wait a minute, Thailand is going to manufacture it?

How is that possible when we can't even produce quality, everyday, clean, pharmaceuticals here?

I'll pass on a serum, that we have no means or the experience in world pandemics to produce. 

Anyone here, read of anyone receiving a an innoculation from Thailand produced serum? 

Even more pertinent. Any one interested in a Jab from a Chinese lab produced vaccine? 

3 hours ago, mackayae said:

My cousin in Antigua, who is in his 40's, has had his jab, Astra Zeneca India. Thailand is certainly making a mess of this.

My dad (86 and with many health problems) got his first dose in Austria Monday (March 8). I got my second one today (March 11) in the USA. And I am about 30 years younger.

Europe is so far behind that Lufthansa is even considering flights to Moscow just to get vaccinated and fly back home. Thailand is not the only one lagging.

The USA only is where it is because people with experience are now in charge on all levels of the distribution chain. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

First it is Moderna not Johnson & Johnson that have applied for Thai approval.

not according to this news report above "The FDA is expected to reach a decision this month on the vaccine of Johnson and Johnson, Surachoke said.".

So moderna is almost certain to pass, with J&J waiting around month.

I don't think they would be rushing with approval, because there is not a chance to import this vax this year.

• Like 1

Just now, internationalism said:

I don't think they would be rushing with approval, because there is not a chance to import this vax this year.

Even with the ramping up production, the US finishing their vaccination plan in May, no vaccine will be available to import unit 2021? Interesting that they are all applying to import if they do not have any vaccine to sell.

Always mysteries 

Edited by LomSak27

3 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

So the PM and all the government ministers will receive the best jab currently available AZ while the rest of the riff raff will get the Chinese vaccine . 

They chickened out.