Cyberbullying is a crime, says Thai police spokesman - posters warned of conduct online

webfact

4 hours ago, farangroby said:

Uhmmmmmmmmmmmm

In Burma now protesters are looking for every way to attack a nasty illegitimate  force.

One method is to show up the hypocrisy and greed of the usurpers.

Where are their children being educated?  What property do they hold abroad? What well paid jobs do their families have with little justification? How do their assets match their salary?  What favours they do in government to business or other countries get well repaid for them, but to the detriment of their country?

Revealing this important information could be called cyberbullying soon here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Calling out someone for "cyberbullying"  is obviously a form of Cyberbullying and should be grounds for severely restricting the right privilege of free speech which in any way criticises the privileges rights of powerful people in the public eye to say and do whatever they want without fear of censure by the public who pay the taxes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Docno said:

So as to avoid any allegations of cyberbullying, I just want put in on record that I fully agree with every single thing said in this forum (including everything said after this post) and that you are all fine, upstanding people. Thank you. 

You'd better be careful. I buy fish at a market where the PM's neighbor's cousin used to sell ants' eggs... and I'm starting to feel bullied by your facetious tone.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

seriously, you are pretty cynical about your new home country. does it make you feel good about yourself?

I see what I find, your  version of  Thailand may vary, however what I dont do is tell anyone they  cant post their  comments by cybertwats in the govt, of course  wishing you peace and  love and  certainly  not a  smack in the  face with a wet  haddock.

1 hour ago, aboctok said:

You'd better be careful. I buy fish at a market where the PM's neighbor's cousin used to sell ants' eggs... and I'm starting to feel bullied by your facetious tone.

Yes racists and  homphobes like  this and for sure he is  also a sexist rightwing neo nazi need to be  locked up, help  Mommy I think Ive wet myself.????

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So many people commenting who appear to be in favour of allowing social media bullying. I see no-one saying it is right to punish such bullies, even though there have been cases where such bullying has led to suicide. I find that very interesting.

Probably because a majority of reasonably intelligent people believe in free speech, and that a government should not restrict free speech. That you lean towards the "authortiarian" is also very "interesting".

And playing the suicide card seems hyperbolic

Yes, there are limits on free speech which individual societies can agree on.

I believe the current Thai constitution du Jour guarantees free speech to all, with about a gazillion caveats, laws, rules and modifiers. Obviously there are other "laws" which restrict free speech, and yet other laws (sections 113-118) which are applied to "control" free speech.

My understanding of the reference case here is that the daughters were in a pop band - this was ages ago, long before he was PM, but he was top army, and that the person being prosecuted commented negatively on their musical abilities. "Bullying", probably not. AFAIK, neither daughter has attempted suicide, and I think one has even commented negatively on this prosecution. 

As long as the "authorities" are prosecuting other cyber-bullying cases, especially when the accused are higher status that those being bullied, then maybe this prosecution is "reasonable". The spokesman would have been advised to mention all of these other cases to support the thin veil of equality.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Probably because a majority of reasonably intelligent people believe in free speech, and that a government should not restrict free speech. That you lean towards the "authortiarian" is also very "interesting".

And playing the suicide card seems hyperbolic

Yes, there are limits on free speech which individual societies can agree on.

I believe the current Thai constitution du Jour guarantees free speech to all, with about a gazillion caveats, laws, rules and modifiers. Obviously there are other "laws" which restrict free speech, and yet other laws (sections 113-118) which are applied to "control" free speech.

My understanding of the reference case here is that the daughters were in a pop band - this was ages ago, long before he was PM, but he was top army, and that the person being prosecuted commented negatively on their musical abilities. "Bullying", probably not. AFAIK, neither daughter has attempted suicide, and I think one has even commented negatively on this prosecution. 

As long as the "authorities" are prosecuting other cyber-bullying cases, especially when the accused are higher status that those being bullied, then maybe this prosecution is "reasonable". The spokesman would have been advised to mention all of these other cases to support the thin veil of equality.

The right to free speech must be used responsibly. Those that abuse it, and the recent events in the US are an example, endangers that right for all. Many of those commentating here already assume that the Thai government will use that to curtain freedom of expression. That has yet to be proved.

On 3/24/2021 at 8:25 AM, mtls2005 said:

This sounds vaguely like an extension of the defamation "law"?

It would  be nice if the spokesman could provide the specific statute? Maybe it's in the most recent Computer Crimes Act ammendment?

This sort of vague threat or suggestion is classic. It leaves the police fully empowered to enforce the "law" as they deem appropriate.

Free speech remains out of reach.

Just curious if there are any other cyber-bullying cases being prosecuted? Or just this one? I think the daughters are now adult women, and the charges are years old. But, well, those at the top seem to get special treatment.

Bullying in any form whether it is cyber or not is deplorable. Didn't the unelected "PM" and his soldiers not bully their way into taking over the country in 2014? What a hypocrite.

• Like 1

Just now, possum1931 said:

Bullying in any form whether it is cyber or not is deplorable. Didn't the unelected "PM" and his soldiers not bully their way into taking over the country in 2014? What a hypocrite.

Now, now. Stop bullying the bully's. They did want they wanted and we cant.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The right to free speech must be used responsibly.

Ah yes, the patrician's approach.

Who decides what qualifies as "repsonsible"? The police?

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

and the recent events in the US

Hint: We're in Thailand, dicsussing a Thai-centric event. Whataboutism is always irrelevant.

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Many of those commentating here already assume that the Thai government will use that to curtain freedom of expression.

Assume? Are you even aware of what's going on around you? Censorship is used as a cudgel, eveyr day.

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That has yet to be proved.

And what could we offer to "prove" something to you? I suspect you're hooked on authortarianism, and no amout of reasonable argument would sway you. The yellow Kool-Aid effects are hard to break.

• Sad 2

Hmmmm, saying racict or religious insults, or overall insult someone face to face is a crime in most countries. 

Why should it not be a crime when it's done on social media? What changed? Did it become acceptable to insult people?

Thai's don't think so

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

Thai's don't think so

So when I hear my Thai neighbor screaming at his Thai neighbor at the top of his lungs, "KHWAI" over and over that's not an "insult"?

Did you ever listen to Thai politicians rant and rave about evil elected governments?

Thais have a whole range of insults, which typically involve a parable about an animal.

We should probably define and agree on what the term means, as people here seem to be grasping at any definition to defend the government's cyber-bullying policy.

Bullying to me means someone using their position of power, strength and authority to abuse another, and to use the threat of violence to enlist a certain behavior. 

Bullying is arguably endemic here and part of the social contract. It reinforces the pyramidical hierarchy without which Thai society would probably collapse. It probably starts ~ P3. Have you ever seen a group of M6 boys, god forbid your the son of the second wife,or of noticeably lower status. University hazing. Military hazing. By then everyone is conditioned, and the "authority" can rely on the police and the "law" to keep everyone in line.

I'd argue that the "authorities" are bullying young protesters by jailing them without bail, and coddling the convicted yellow protesters by freeing them on bail.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, connda said:

The US.
We would rag each other mercilessly.  Everyone had at least one demeaning nickname, insulting and poking fun at your friends was an art form - and no one I grew up with was ever emotionally devastated.  You rolled with the punches and gave back in equal measure to what your received.  Same same in the military.  Especially in the military. 

True "bullying" was bashing the stuffings out of weaker people then yourself (or people you perceived as weaker then yourself).  Those type usually folded as soon as you stood up.  I've been there.  I was assaulted verbally for about a week by a guy in High School who put together a small gang to chase me around the school after hours.  Finally his larger younger brother smashed me in the face from behind while I was trying to walk away for them.  He got a couple of more shots in then i decked him.  They pulled him off the ground and that was it.  Nobody bothered me again. 
That's bullying.  But name calling.  You gotta be kidding me.  I grew thick skin back at a young age.  Most of the kids I hung around with did.  Obviously you too.
Nowadays?  Nancy-boys abound.  Sad.

Wow! You speak as if you are proud of that situation and social environment! If as you say it's quite normal there in the US then I'm beginning to understand the heinous rhetoric from the US over the last 4 years, especially from the so called "leader" during that time. I grew up in the U K and Australia, and never encountered such childish behavior amongst my peers. I do not recall ever encountering or witnessing bullying of any sort, physical or verbal. What a sad indictment of how social behavior has evolved into a twisted and uncivilised so-called normality.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Thais have a whole range of insults, which typically involve a parable about an animal.

Sure they do, I've been here for 30 years and I know most if not all of them. What I am saying is that the vast majority of Thai's want a punishment. Apology could suffice in many cases here.

Edited by MikeyIdea

23 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Dr. Gad Saad was kicked off of Facebook yesterday because he posted a bullying message that was sent to him calling him a "Dirty Jew" and added his comments.  You really must be very careful these days.  Personally, I would like to see messages labeling people as "Racists" be considered defamatory as well. Some of us have spent years trying to help minority people and being called racists is insulting.  Whatever happened to the notion that people should be judged by the content of their character?  

Facebook is a total desaster when it comes to their "Community Guidelines". At least somewhat related, it has become a place where a lot of tinfoil hat nutters & right wingers have congregated while Twitter is where the lefties tend to hang out these days (I'm not even going to get started on Parler or Gab - everyone knows what's going on there - I just don't get why "Free Speech!!!" tends to translate to mostly posts like some douche saying Asians deserve to be shot (due to "China-Virus" and 15 others liking the post (real life example)).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet anything construed as LM is grounds for immediate arrest and imprisonment.  Hmmm.

You're confusing two different issues. Anyway, I assume that by supporting free speech no matter what, you are in favour of online abuse and lies, or at the very least believe it must be allowed uncontrolled. Which takes me back to my original post in this thread.

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You're confusing two different issues. Anyway, I assume that by supporting free speech no matter what, you are in favour of online abuse and lies, or at the very least believe it must be allowed uncontrolled. Which takes me back to my original post in this thread.

BB, not confusing any issues, just adding another one to your post that makes it even more tenuous to say anything against a certain issue or on a certain issue.  Tell me how they are not the same.  One is being tolerated with no leeway, while the one you speak about is taken on a case by case basis.  Free speech is a tough nut to crack on either end as some things can not be broached while others can, but instigating abuse is wrong on all sides.  Don't lump my statements in with your belief that I am in favor of online abuse.  Please point it out where I said it was perfectly fine. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 3:59 PM, Mr Dome said:

Facebook is a total desaster when it comes to their "Community Guidelines". At least somewhat related, it has become a place where a lot of tinfoil hat nutters & right wingers have congregated while Twitter is where the lefties tend to hang out these days (I'm not even going to get started on Parler or Gab - everyone knows what's going on there - I just don't get why "Free Speech!!!" tends to translate to mostly posts like some douche saying Asians deserve to be shot (due to "China-Virus" and 15 others liking the post (real life example)).

Probably  makes it  easier for the rest of  us to see  just  how idiotic they are and the vast majority will  not  agree  with that but they have the right to say it  just to show how dumb they are. 

• Like 1

Cyber bullying is not good. This is a fair point. Many fines by the BIB, however, can be avoided by being forced into let's just say paying in a different way. LOS. Complete double standard, corrupt country. This is SEA. This is therefore corrupt. Please argue against this.

Edited by dinsdale