Farmers can plant hemp after getting approval

webfact

f8282d23b345328e5befc60257ee15ca_small.jpg

By Tanakorn Sangiam

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Food and Drug Administration and the Department of Agriculture have issued regulations surrounding the cultivation of hemp by the general public, where the plant will remain listed as a narcotic, but farmers can apply for approval to grow it and utilize all its parts.

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Secretary General Dr. Paisarn Dunkum says the general public, farmers, private firms and government agencies will be allowed to farm hemp, provided they file a formal request at the FDA headquarters in Bangkok, or provincial public health offices.

The location filed for hemp farming will be evaluated by officials from the FDA, the Ministry of Public Health and the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives. The proposed farmland must be legally owned by person filing the request.

So far, 18 requests have been filed for hemp farming since 29 January, covering 144 hectares of land in 7 provinces, mostly in the northern region.

Department of Agriculture Director General Pichet Wiriyapaha said the import of hemp seeds will be allowed if they pass the department’s evaluation, as the department currently provides 4 varieties of hemp seeds, mainly developed for the production of hemp fiber.

Mr. Pichet said there have been no requests for the use of hemp oil yet, while adding the department will further develop hemp varieties suitable to each farm area, while allowing agricultural cooperatives to produce the seedlings for farmers.

Hemp can be cultivated in three ways, namely in a closed setting, in a greenhouse and in an open setting. Farmers can learn more about the techniques from their provincial agricultural office, or by contacting the Department of Agriculture.

nnt.jpg
  • Like 1

Farmers in Thailand Warned Over Hemp Cultivation Scams

Farmers in Thailand are being warned against people who lure them into cultivating hemp for commercial and industrial purposes.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) said on Thursday some farmers might be approached and persuaded to grow hemp for a profit but he wanted to make it clear that no one in the country had yet been given permission to import hemp seeds.

The situation has raised fears about farmers being cheated and FDA secretary-general Dr Paisarn Dunkum said he had already heard of some farmers setting up networks in various provinces to prepare for the day they can launch new enterprises.

https://www.chiangraitimes.com/lifestyles/chaingrai-farming-agriculture/farmers-in-thailand-warned-over-hemp-cultivation-scams/

six page info graphic here...  https://mnfda.fda.moph.go.th/narcotic/?page_id=112

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So are we talking to sell as medical grade THC? I thought it was farmers will be able to grow 4 marijuana plants? Same genus different beast. Because I doubt that the 4 types of hemp seed availble would produce a plant with the necessary levels that a pharmaceutical company would require. Or is this an unrelated scheme? Because surely you wouldn't need permission to grow hemp as by definition it has virtually no THC plenty of CBD though 

Edited by starky
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, starky said:

So are we talking to sell as medical grade THC?

No. This is about hemp. THC less than 0.2 % An agricultural effort aimed at producing industrial products for clothing, rope, cosmetics (don't ask).

Up until a year ago hemp was illegal to grow.

And yes, you need permission to grow hemp. I mean if you want to remain "legal".

There are separate cannabis growing initiatives aimed at derivng THC and CBD for medical applications.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Food and Drug Administration and the Department of Agriculture have issued regulations surrounding the cultivation of hemp by the general public, where the plant will remain listed as a narcotic, but farmers can apply for approval to grow it and utilize all its parts.

A can of worms waiting to happen....

• Haha 1

Well, what do you know - the government‘s sweetheart who got booked in Australia for carrying some flour into said country will be keeping a careful eye on the approval process. 

Wondering when they will install the „Somtam“ police squad ....... 

Before they tell people how to grow it , it might be important to inform them on the money they can make growing it and then selling it . I think that's the nr 1 point . If they want to change their crops from unions , garlic or rice to hemp growing . Or will they just be slaves of the big companies again by growing it and use their land and labour and let the hi-so sell it and make their profits as they are starting to do already(the big cosmetic companies making cosmetics and the big companies making cbd ) 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

will be allowed to farm hemp, provided they file a formal request at the FDA headquarters in Bangkok, or provincial public health offices.

Wife went in to ask about it - no one had any idea what she was talking about!  Shambilio.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Before they tell people how to grow it , it might be important to inform them on the money they can make growing it and then selling it . I think that's the nr 1 point . If they want to change their crops from unions , garlic or rice to hemp growing . Or will they just be slaves of the big companies again by growing it and use their land and labour and let the hi-so sell it and make their profits as they are starting to do already(the big cosmetic companies making cosmetics and the big companies making cbd ) 

Good point but unless I read it wrong "officially" it's only 4 plants so can't see people cutting down multiple rai of rubber, sugar, taro etc for 4 plants though depending on where you live or who you know ???? the "4" might online be a guide line

41 minutes ago, starky said:

Well prior to the hydro ...

... yes, I was a bit too late in the game to come across original thaisticks, suppose it was a bigger thing in the US than in Europe in the first place - eg. 'Reefer Men-The Rise and Fall of a Billionaire Drug Ring' / Thompson, I mean dang, they're sure talking some impressive tonnage there, 555 ...

As for growing, Thai genetics were not much in favor in EU, 12, maybe 14 weeks of bloom couldn't compete to 7 or 8 weeks of your usual 'skunk' (indica genetics) indoors, not to mention that the useful outdoor period is just too short in most parts of Europe.

Of course, cross in some fast Indica and you sure get fine weed, happened with Northern Lights amongst others I believe.

Couldn't agree more, shouldn't be necessary here at all to go indoors if it wasn't for snitches & thieves ... that anemic bud in my pic was apparently grown without any care, no selected seeds to begin with but on the positive side no chemie either, almost seedless too so at least they eliminated the males it seems.

That photo in your 2nd link with the red thread actually pretty much resembles todays (better quality) brick but only from the looks of it I guess as I don't think they would have pressed/compacted it so mercilessly, a crime in itself but understandable if you always have to hide that stuff ...  actually I've come across red thread in brickweed as well, but that was just pretension of better quality, 555 ...

Over all one can't complain, the bud's even got some taste for a change and was for free anyway, the usual brick (of already selected quality) is fairly cheapo and sure does stone sufficiently ...

1248239974_1-Smiley_Stoners_Pass_Joint.gif.36fa954814b55a332b9b70498fbb53dc.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jollyhangmon said:

... yes, I was a bit too late in the game to come across original thaisticks, suppose it was a bigger thing in the US than in Europe in the first place - eg. 'Reefer Men-The Rise and Fall of a Billionaire Drug Ring' / Thompson, I mean dang, they're sure talking some impressive tonnage there, 555 ...

As for growing, Thai genetics were not much in favor in EU, 12, maybe 14 weeks of bloom couldn't compete to 7 or 8 weeks of your usual 'skunk' (indica genetics) indoors, not to mention that the useful outdoor period is just too short in most parts of Europe.

Of course, cross in some fast Indica and you sure get fine weed, happened with Northern Lights amongst others I believe.

Couldn't agree more, shouldn't be necessary here at all to go indoors if it wasn't for snitches & thieves ... that anemic bud in my pic was apparently grown without any care, no selected seeds to begin with but on the positive side no chemie either, almost seedless too so at least they eliminated the males it seems.

That photo in your 2nd link with the red thread actually pretty much resembles todays (better quality) brick but only from the looks of it I guess as I don't think they would have pressed/compacted it so mercilessly, a crime in itself but understandable if you always have to hide that stuff ...  actually I've come across red thread in brickweed as well, but that was just pretension of better quality, 555 ...

Over all one can't complain, the bud's even got some taste for a change and was for free anyway, the usual brick (of already selected quality) is fairly cheapo and sure does stone sufficiently ...

1248239974_1-Smiley_Stoners_Pass_Joint.gif.36fa954814b55a332b9b70498fbb53dc.gif

Not just the US brother. I'm not American they were just convenient articles. And I'm not talking about growing I'm sure Europe would of have sticks back in the day it was massive everywhere. Anyone that is a fan of smoking, according to that friend of a friend would be aware of Thai sticks. Apparently it doesn't look that much different today ????, or so I have heard. Would have been one of Thailand's biggest exports at the time lol. It also led to quite a few of the classic hydro strains we have today.  Worst thing about the old school Buddha, or so I have been told was it was always so dry once it got to wherever you where. Potent but all crumbly and shizz. Or so I've heard.

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

... noice muffs! Here for comparison the local variety (latin: ditchus weedus)

Screenshot_2021-03-25_121711.jpg.5eb11efbdd9a642c970f9ec88e2b8a28.jpg

Once you clip it and do a bit of breeding the local variety would end up similar or they could just let the good stuff in and stop with the pfaffing about and let it rip.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, thailanddogerator said:

so ridiculous, who is going to check that the weed has THC or not ? so funny...

By controlling the seedstock, and seedlings.

And random testing.

In some markets entire hemp crops are destroyed if the THC level exceeds local legal limits (0.2 - 0.4 %).

Agree that this hemp thing (here) is a bit of dodge, maybe just meant to give those who currently grow it for local use a bit of protection from random enforcement of the law.

Believe quite a few native hill tribes in the north have grown hemp for ages, and have been growing it legally for a few years since 'legalization'.

Hemp is an agricultural commodity, really no way to differentiate "Thai" quality, so forget exports. Maybe just local industrial use.

Mostly hat, almost no cattle.

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Once you clip it and do a bit of breeding the local variety would end up similar or they could just let the good stuff in and stop with the pfaffing about and let it rip.

... absolutely, the landrace here produces some fine tasting/smelling stuff - strong enough per se too but still gentle - if only taken care for a bit, the basics, basically, 555.

Other, more practical advantages as well, try to grow phat buds on an indica in the local climate for example and bud rot (mold, botrytis) will be the surfire companion, almost inevitable except maybe if perfectly timed into the dry weather period and also the amulets work ...

But add some local genetics which will lighten up the buds, more air gets inside to put it bluntly, problem solved or at least strongly reduced.

Also there's hardly an indica that can't use a bit of enhancement on the yield, local stuff seems to do that pretty well.

All that ain't news of course, as mentioned above Thai genetics have been/are part of todays classic hybrid strains for quite some time now ...

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, starky said:

Good point but unless I read it wrong "officially" it's only 4 plants so can't see people cutting down multiple rai of rubber, sugar, taro etc for 4 plants though depending on where you live or who you know ???? the "4" might online be a guide line

If it's only hemp their growing they can fill up all their land , that's why they are urging them to grow it so they can make their profit from the hard working farmers because the farmers don't have the knowhow of what to do with it . 

19 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

.. yes, I was a bit too late in the game to come across original thaisticks, suppose it was a bigger thing in the US than in Europe in the first place - eg. 'Reefer Men-The Rise and Fall of a Billionaire Drug Ring' / Thompson, I mean dang, they're sure talking some impressive tonnage there, 555 ...

I remember those sticks very well! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

... absolutely, the landrace here produces some fine tasting/smelling stuff - strong enough per se too but still gentle - if only taken care for a bit, the basics, basically, 555.

Other, more practical advantages as well, try to grow phat buds on an indica in the local climate for example and bud rot (mold, botrytis) will be the surfire companion, almost inevitable except maybe if perfectly timed into the dry weather period and also the amulets work ...

But add some local genetics which will lighten up the buds, more air gets inside to put it bluntly, problem solved or at least strongly reduced.

Also there's hardly an indica that can't use a bit of enhancement on the yield, local stuff seems to do that pretty well.

All that ain't news of course, as mentioned above Thai genetics have been/are part of todays classic hybrid strains for quite some time now ...

With regards to the inhospitable climate here (vs Humboldt for example) they could always repurpose some of the plethora of empty condo buildings into indoor climate controlled grow operations.  Maybe the farmers aren’t the ones to approach but rather the real estate developers?

You didn’t miss much when it came to Thai Stick (compared to the connoisseur offerings these days) although I did sample some “chocolate Thai” back in the early 80s that was quite good.  Of course, the older folks here can wax nostalgic about it (much like they would about Acapulco gold or Oaxacan) but the reality is, that if it was so special, it would be one of the dozens of strains offered in any dispensary in Los Angeles.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 1:15 PM, thailanddogerator said:

so ridiculous, who is going to check that the weed has THC or not ? so funny...

it's like people who believe that legalization means no more black market ! they really understand nothing about real life !

Where weed is fully legal black market also is ! almost ! because you are allowed to own and carry weed, cops cannot tell that you have intension to sell, except if you sell to them, which you must be Thai to do...