Do you just drink water when you are thirsty, or...

giddyup

On 3/29/2021 at 1:06 PM, KeeTua said:

A few ice cubes added to each glass of Chang maintains ideal level of hydration for me. I don't wake up thirsty during the night and no leg cramps, urine about the same color as the watered down Chang. Perfect.

You put ice in beer? 

Thats blasphemy.

• Thanks 1

On 3/28/2021 at 3:33 PM, KannikaP said:

I have similar in my fridge, water with barley, yeast & hops. All natural things !   LOL

Hibiscus Cold Herb Tea whit mint and lemon..ahhh.No prblem to get 8 glasses of pure water down a day...today at 15.00 i alredy downed 10...And i drink water BEFORE getting thirsty.

Edited by AMIA63
  • Like 1

I don't get thirsty often so I must be doing something right. When it comes to water my favorite drink is soda water with a large dash of line. Now when I drink just water I always drink mineral water as I don't eat too many vegetables as they are loaded with chemicals.

I drink lots of water because I do lots of mountain biking. "Your body speaks to  you - listen to it", and the aforementioned  "drink water until your urine turns clear" are good pieces of advice.

Edited by rcuthbert
Grammar

On 3/28/2021 at 10:39 AM, GreasyFingers said:

That 8 glasses a day is rubbish for most people even though personally I would drink that much or more especially when do physical work.

My mother hardly drank any water in her life even thought she played sport and had her own garden and lawns to look after, so a physical life. A community nurse came to her home one day and on finding out that she basically did not drink water (apart from tea) got very angry and insisted that she had to drink 2 litres every day. My mother laughed, as she was 90 years old at the time.

Ah but did she live to a ripe old age....?

Sorry, couldn't resist! ????

On 3/28/2021 at 1:23 PM, BenDeCosta said:

I was always taught that it's most important to drink water when you wake up, to get the kidneys working.

Agreed.....

Even here in UK, in winter I have a pint (about 0.5l) of water first thing and throughout the day alongside my copious coffee, so probably 5 pints (2.5l) throughout the day. Ideally a glass before bed, except that interrupts my much-needed beauty sleep.

In  Thailand I probably drink more like 4 litres (up to 8 bottles) throughout the day.

My <deleted> is always dark in colour and I've been trying to drink more water ever since I got to Thailand all those years ago.

If I actually feel thirsty (which is only after several hours hard work in the hot sun), my favourite drink is Coca Cola. Most hot days I drink 2 cans although I know it is not good for me.

I can't drink cold water as it seems to upset my stomach. I can drink maybe 1.5 - 2.0 litres of water at room temperature. However, much more will still give me a sore stomach, and maybe cause acid reflux.

Maybe I have a small stomach, but I can't drink more than about 500 ml at one go without feeling bloated.

Getting enough water into me in this tropical climate is a big problem for me. I rarely feel thirsty, I can't drink much fluid in one go, and I think I'm allergic to plain water. 

16 minutes ago, sead said:

Don't worry. Your body is made to yell you when you need to drink. 

If I only drank water when I felt thirsty I doubt if I'd drink more than a couple of glasses a day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevemercer said:

My <deleted> is always dark in colour and I've been trying to drink more water ever since I got to Thailand all those years ago.

If I actually feel thirsty (which is only after several hours hard work in the hot sun), my favourite drink is Coca Cola. Most hot days I drink 2 cans although I know it is not good for me.

I can't drink cold water as it seems to upset my stomach. I can drink maybe 1.5 - 2.0 litres of water at room temperature. However, much more will still give me a sore stomach, and maybe cause acid reflux.

Maybe I have a small stomach, but I can't drink more than about 500 ml at one go without feeling bloated.

Getting enough water into me in this tropical climate is a big problem for me. I rarely feel thirsty, I can't drink much fluid in one go, and I think I'm allergic to plain water. 

I got Kidney Stones Not Fun No more Coca Cola only water and first drink of day is Minow Lime drink to clean kidneys every morning and a lil baking soda for ph levels , lil honey too, I put straw in back of throat to keep the lime off my teeth 

Edited by Aomelia

No..     I drink when thirsty

the "Myth of drinking 8 /8oz glasses of water has been debunked by modern science

your body is "NOT" mostly water ..  it's electrolytes

your body knows when it's "thirsty

water does not flush out fat    ( put a slice of bacon in water and shake it up ....  nada ! )

water does not flush out toxins ( toxins are fat soluble

water does not help dry skin  ( vitamin A deficiency)

drinking too much water can actually make you "de-hydrated"

and you flush out all your electrolytes

look up hypo nutremia

"DRINK WHEN YOU'RE THIRSTY"

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2021 at 2:01 PM, giddyup said:

Anyway, surely our bodies should tell us when we need to drink.

Wrong,

Not all people receive message that they need to drink water. It is depends on nerve system. Some even don't know when become dehydrated. 
I drink 3-5 liter of water everyday. I never feel that I need to drink. I learnt during time. Your body won't be able to get rid of "unwanted" without having enough water in blood system. No other liquids work as water. Some people believe drinking tea would be healthful, then body use water in body to get rid of the tea. End up to dehydration just like drinking beer. 

Edited by The Theory

On 3/28/2021 at 9:01 AM, giddyup said:

Personally, I find it difficult to get down 8 glasses, I end up feeling bloated.

Might depend of how big a class is, and also your body size.

For protecting dehydration it's mainly liquid, and unfortunately not alcoholic liquid, but water is great as some of, or most of, the liquid as water contains no suger or additives; however, health experts advise to drink mineral water as the body needs minerals and salt.

Personally I drink in average two circa 330 ml. bottles of mineral water, sometimes three bottles;

–plus 1-2 mugs of coffee with milk, plus a smaller glas of orange juice, and sometimes a sweet soda in the evenings. Besides that, often 1-2 small glass of wine with my dinner, it's supposed to be healthy, and I don't argue against that...????

Edited by khunPer

2 hours ago, Aomelia said:

I got Kidney Stones Not Fun No more Coca Cola only water and first drink of day is Minow Lime drink to clean kidneys every morning and a lil baking soda for ph levels , lil honey too, I put straw in back of throat to keep the lime off my teeth 

I worry about my kidneys a little. It can't be good being dehydrated most of the time.

One's sense of thirst dulls as one gets older so dehydration can be a problem for older people. Strangely, it is a problem for astronauts as well, apparently you never feel thirsty in zero gravity.

I do put ice in everything - coca cola, beer, orange juice etc. I hope it helps a little. My motto is everything goes better with ice.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 6:09 AM, KannikaP said:

That's because the Aspartame used to sweeten it is addictive.

What's 30 oz in metric.

There was also a movement to ban Aspartame saying it's poisonous.

Now I'm not sure whether that is science or conspiracy theory so I'm not enlarging upon it, but I do know that any "diet" or "zero" drink I've tried that contains Aspartame has left me with a nasty aftertaste  and just way TOO sweet. IMO...avoid them and back to water.

By the way you ask "What's 30 oz in metric" Put that EXACT phrase into Google.....

• Like 1

Due to the fact that I train (Muay Thai) 5 days a week, I can easily drink one litre of water in an hour during a training session if it is hot. Normally I just drink water, but sometimes add an electrolyte powder.

At home, I try to drink lots of water. I often add a splash of Bickfords Lemon Cordial, just to give it a bit of taste.

Night time before bed I try and drink as much as I can. It's either that and get up for a pee during the night, or wake up dehydrated and raiding the fridge for a cold water.

A doctor once told me that pee should be the colour of a light white wine, and that staying hydrated in this climate requires a conscious effort, not just drinking when one feel thirsty. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VBF said:

There was also a movement to ban Aspartame saying it's poisonous.

Now I'm not sure whether that is science or conspiracy theory so I'm not enlarging upon it, but I do know that any "diet" or "zero" drink I've tried that contains Aspartame has left me with a nasty aftertaste  and just way TOO sweet. IMO...avoid them and back to water.

By the way you ask "What's 30 oz in metric" Put that EXACT phrase into Google.....

0.887206 litres, thanks

• Like 1

Back in the states I would go all day on a couple cups of coffee and maybe a glass of water.  I never got thirsty. Here I work for an hour outside and I sweat most of that amount. Two things I have heard over the years, not saying that they are true. To know that you are completely hydrated, you should feel a need to urinate in a round 30 minutes after drinking (water, I'm talking about, not the rented beer). The other, a doctor told me years ago is to look at your finger pads, they get "pruney" if you are lacking enough water.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 3:28 PM, KannikaP said:

A small beer bottle is 33ml. 10 x 33ml is only 3.3 litres. Over a 16 hour day, that's not much.

A small beer is 330 ml not 33 ml.

8 glasses of water would be 1183 ml or 1.183 litres.

5 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

A small beer is 330 ml not 33 ml.

8 glasses of water would be 1183 ml or 1.183 litres.

I know, I corrected myself much earlier. Got my ml & cl mixed up.

As for glasses, how much is a tank of petrol? (Gas, fuel, diesel whatever)

Edited by KannikaP

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

I know, I corrected myself much earlier. Got my ml & cl mixed up.

As for glasses, how much is a tank of petrol? (Gas, fuel, diesel whatever)

The glasses measurement is confusing.   

The standard measurement is apparently 8 x 8oz glasses, which makes no sense really as that is only 2/3 of a can and who the hell uses glasses that are only 8oz?  most drinking glasses I've ever owned are 12-16 oz.

At the end of the day as long as you are drinking at least one litre of water (not beer), then your kidneys are getting enough water to operate properly, assuming you aren't also making them work overtime because of other stuff you are consuming.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

The glasses measurement is confusing.   

The standard measurement is apparently 8 x 8oz glasses, which makes no sense really as that is only 2/3 of a can and who the hell uses glasses that are only 8oz?  most drinking glasses I've ever owned are 12-16 oz.

At the end of the day as long as you are drinking at least one litre of water (not beer), then your kidneys are getting enough water to operate properly, assuming you aren't also making them work overtime because of other stuff you are consuming.

ONE litre of water is nowhere near enough in this climate. My urologist at the University hospital asked how many litres I was drinking when I had a UTI. When I told him THREE, he simply said DRINK FOUR! Which may sound a lot, but it is only  250ml an hour = 8.454 fl oz = 1 glass an hour, assuming you are awake for 16 hours. Easy to do.

By the way Freddy, who uses fl oz these days?

Edited by KannikaP

19 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

No..     I drink when thirsty

the "Myth of drinking 8 /8oz glasses of water has been debunked by modern science

your body is "NOT" mostly water ..  it's electrolytes

your body knows when it's "thirsty

water does not flush out fat    ( put a slice of bacon in water and shake it up ....  nada ! )

water does not flush out toxins ( toxins are fat soluble

water does not help dry skin  ( vitamin A deficiency)

drinking too much water can actually make you "de-hydrated"

and you flush out all your electrolytes

look up hypo nutremia

"DRINK WHEN YOU'RE THIRSTY"

"However, it must be noted that this finding is limited to healthy, albeit mostly sedentary adults living in a mild climate."

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/8-glasses-of-water-per-day#TOC_TITLE_HDR_3