Thailand to be first with plastic roads

webfact

Just now, Destiny1990 said:

I think it does match with their plastic beaches..

Speaking of which, I suppose we should all be grateful that nobody (yet) has come up with the idea of repurposing  the effluent so commonly discharged into the sea by Thais by mixing it in with the asphalt  used for resurfacing roads. What could happen during or after the first rainstorm after laying the road is a truly horrible thought. Still, nothing ventured nothing gained, and we should always applaud innovation, whatever the source.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, OttoPollmann said:

it is the first road, but will it be the only one?

The difference between your UK and Thailand is, that your government has cut the budget for development and maintenance of roadways. This is not the case here, the government is spending billions in upgrading the infrastructure. But the budget isn't fully used only for the projects for which it is meant.
I am not against recycling, we must stop polluting the planet. I am only against the hypocrite that they came up and be the first with this concept of re-using of plastic, which they are not.

Agree with all of that.

But it doesn’t automatically make the ‘use of plastic roads’ any worse than building a conventional asphalt road and suggesting such does not a ‘Thai apologist’ make. 

2 minutes ago, OttoPollmann said:

also I've a big antipathy to corruption and this is an easy opportunity for some to fill their pockets even more.

Agree with this too, that corruption at this level happens elsewhere (UK too but more hidden) does not make it ok. That every opportunity to try something different, new or developing in any way seems to be borne of an underlying opportunity to ‘skim from the top’ and profit is so prevalent here when the money is ‘public funds’ is also terrible... 

But, the plastic road, as it they have been used in other countries is not a bad option. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grusa said:

And the cost per m² is?

I wasn't able to find a cost per m² but it apparently costs less than a normal asphalt road surface.

According to the BBC article below:

there are economic benefits too, with the incorporation of plastic resulting in savings of roughly $670 (£480) per kilometre of road.

Plastic Roads

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agree with all of that.

But it doesn’t automatically make the ‘use of plastic roads’ any worse than building a conventional asphalt road and suggesting such does not a ‘Thai apologist’ make. 

Agree with this too, that corruption at this level happens elsewhere (UK too but more hidden) does not make it ok. That every opportunity to try something different, new or developing in any way seems to be borne of an underlying opportunity to ‘skim from the top’ and profit is so prevalent here when the money is ‘public funds’ is also terrible... 

But, the plastic road, as it they have been used in other countries is not a bad option. 

I have never said that this concept isn't good for re-using of waste plastic and cutting public funds.

But I have my doubt that they have the qualification to install it properly.
You can see it in all aspect of work, not only in the road construction it is everywhere.

You don't get any quality product. I wouldn't say anything if the price would match the quality but if I have paid first world prices I also expect first world quality and therin lays the accusation.
Show me one government project that didn't need a re-work.

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

I’m a Thai Apologist because I don’t agree with a post bashing Thai’s. 

At least you have presenting some ideas of what might happen, but all you have done is ‘project’ your negative bias to support your Thai Bash. 

Thai roads are no worse than the roads in the UK. 

On this plastic ending up in nature.... are you sure about that? projecting much ? of course, it may, or it may go back to recycling to make more ‘road material’ especially if it retains some value. 

I can see that you’ve given it so much thought...  You clearly thought about all these lorries driving around Koh Phi Phi !!!! 

I am not a Thai apologist and I don't recognise any Thai bashing in what the OP wrote.  FWIW, we are all entitled to an opinion, and just because someone does not agree with yours, does not make them a Thai Apologist or a Thai Basher.

There's a lot that's wrong with Thailand and there's a lot that's wrong with Thais. Refusing to see either is not healthy nor even intellectually honest. This is supposed to be a forum for the exchange of ideas and thoughts. not a place to flex ones woke muscles. or to belittle someone else for expressing an opinion you neither share, nor even appear to have tried to evaluate. My suggestion, if you find an opinion which you do not share, is to say 'I do not agree with your opinion', and try to explain why. It won't impress anyone with your perceived wokeness. but at least it would be more honest. I imagine there's a reason why you're here and not where you originated.

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In this case, could it be that ‘someone Thai thought of it and someone Thai is in charge of it, so a lot must go wrong.....right ??? ????

It's quite possible!

2 hours ago, WHansen said:

Can you not read ?

Thailand to be first with plastic roads

Still the first in Thailand, always remember that Thailand is the center of the World; I think you are not in humorous mood today...????

3 hours ago, OttoPollmann said:

I wouldn't say anything if the price would match the quality but if I have paid first world prices I also expect first world quality and therin lays the accusation.
Show me one government project that didn't need a re-work.

My car tax is 900bht/year, my m/c tax is 100bht/year.

If you think that's 1st world prices, you can't have been in the 1st world for the past 30 years.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If you think that's 1st world prices, you can't have been in the 1st world for the past 30 years.

you can't compare with the 1st world how much do Thais earn and how much do the 1st world earn?

Is there any declaration in the heading to this topic that implies or claims "Invention" of plastic roads?

I see only  that Thailand  has adopted the concept of incorporating  plastic waste by-product into the construction of road surfaces in what seems to be  low traffic areas  but  beyond the "experimental " stage heralded in  other  locations.

This  is well advanced over the concept of using surplus natural rubber latex  in similar fashion which probably is due to the deterioration factors.

Why  such a headlong rush to decry ?

Is Astroturf  a subject of derision?

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Ok, that's a nice try. Chapeau!
I should have be more precise with the wording "projects".

To apply your logic, taxation (government income) is the same as for example the Bang Sue train station or the planed high speed trains or the country wide development of the inter provincial dual highways which are all government constrution projects, ergo expenses?

How much you have paid for your car and motorcycle?

And how much is the average earnings in both countries?

So, you paid a first world price for a car with less specs than in your home country, especial cuts in safety features, e.g. less airbags or still drum brakes. Even if it was a local built one, no 301% import tax.

Edited by OttoPollmann

16 hours ago, mikebell said:

Pattaya has been doing it for years - locals call it litter & use soi dogs to spread it across road surfaces.

Two birds one stone.

Roll it when the Soi dogs are sleeping on it and you've got the cats (dogs ) eyes in in one go.

????????

Edited by overherebc

11 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

The normal problem with plastic getting into the environment is that it breaks down into micro-particles that are extremely injurious to marine and terrestrial life.

Plastics mixed in with asphalt however, are bound in a way that prevents them breaking down into micro-particles.

In addition, according to the research, these composite roads "have better wear resistance than standard asphalt concrete roads. They do not absorb water, have better flexibility which results in less rutting and less need for repair. Road surfaces remain smooth, are lower maintenance, and absorb sound better."

All praiseworthy except for one important detail: Are we certain Thailand will  use the plastics properly? Plastic proportion is to be. 5-10%.  We see how they mix cement, use wood in termite zones, misuse pesticides and other industrial products so i don't know if Thais will use properly.

I was aware of  experiment in the Nederlands,  and UK. I go to learn more and  was  amazed to see it is trialed in Ghana and Ethiopia too.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5d41b34040f0b60a86a5e5dc/595_Use_of_Waste_Plastics_in_Road_Construction.pdf

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Used coffee packaging was crushed and mixed with asphalt, to create 10,270 kilograms of the plastic waste mixture to pave the 6,000 square metres of road.

Little bit of quick math.  That's 1.71 kg per sq meter.

That's not paving.  That's painting.

Plastic roads...Hum that maybe a good idea but first the quality of the subsurface (roadbed)and asphalt integrity need to be addressed. To often only after two years or sometime less the roads have begun to fall apart, potholes everywhere, and surfaces completely compromised. Better and qualified inspection of road construction is needed. 

8 hours ago, OttoPollmann said:

So, you paid a first world price for a car with less specs than in your home country, especial cuts in safety features, e.g. less airbags or still drum brakes. Even if it was a local built one, no 301% import tax.

I paid 50Kbht for my Honda CB300F (5 years old), First m/c I ever had with ABS.

tax 150bht, insurance 600bht/year. Would have cost a lot more in the UK.

My car is an old pickup, cost 150kbht, very reliable and costs a fraction of what I would need to pay in the UK.