Thailand braces for heaviest rainfall in 30 years

snoop1130

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Quite a few companies in uk pay to get forecasts for near time and near future. Large ice-cream manufacturers often base supply of raw material orders based on the forecast.

In general ( uk anyway ) forecasts are in the 90% correct bracket.

Just because it doesn't rain in your back garden doesn't mean it didn't rain in your mates garden 2 kilometres away. ????

Fair enough.  That happens where I am in Bangkok.  The street in front of our condo will get rain and my side of the building will not, go figure.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Last big floods were in 2011.  So, biggest rainfall in 30 years must be biblical.

2011 was a terrible flood, biggest insurance claims in world history.

So more than that? Please not.

And then show me the PM who would successfully fight against such a natural disaster.

Where will he have better advisors from?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 2

Let it flood.  The rice farmers will get two or three good crops in this year if they aren't washed away.  Never know as many of the rural irrigation-ways haven't been dredged and the banks reinforced since Buddha-knows-when.  Last year in our Tambon I watched a levy give way after a two day spell of rain.  Nothing spectacular but someone upstream opened the flood gates and away goes the levies and rice fields.  I didn't feel too bad.  The farmer who got flooded out shot one of our temple dogs.  Karma?  Yeah?  The dog lived; most of his rice did too. 

Any amount wold be welcome up here.

Just looked on the world map and they say Nth Isaan 'could' have some rain during the next 10 days.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Quite a few companies in uk pay to get forecasts for near time and near future. Large ice-cream manufacturers often base supply of raw material orders based on the forecast.

Just because it doesn't rain in your back garden doesn't mean it didn't rain in your mates garden 2 kilometres away. ????

Also, I recall reading that they use a long term weather forecasting service in the USA that uses supercomputers and weather modeling 

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The four main dams on the Chao Phraya River (Bhumibol Dam, Sirikit Dam, Khwae Noi Bamrung Dan Dam, and PaSak Choalasit Dam) have a total water volume of approximately 9,417 million cubic metres, or 38 per cent of the reservoir capacity, with approximately 2,748 million cubic metres of usable water

Um, someone does not know their  geography  the Pasak  Choalsit dam is on the Passak river ,that flows down from Petchaboon province,and it has about 40 %  of its capacity.

4 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Meteorological Department has warned that from early May, the average rainfall would be the highest in more than 30 years.

Time to increase that price ticket on my house for sale.

I got decent offers from Bangkok people in 2011, when it wasn't finished yet, so this could be the year then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Piers Corbyn would give his advice for free.

He is top man on the forecasting.

• Haha 1