TAT governor says no plans to change opening of Thailand on July 1st

webfact

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

What is he going to do when scores of foreigners will get infected with the Covid virus? or they will be left to fend for themselves eh? them would be tourists to Thailand better get themselves good health insurance just in case...

They will have been already vaccinated and Covid insurance is still required to enter.

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

Well perhaps not, but with the Cambodia variant wreaking havoc across the land and the "mass vaccination" programme stillborn, who in their right mind would want to come here for a holiday? By July, there will be many cheaper, easier and much safer places than Thailand to spend your tourist money.

We have heard that before. By XYZ, ABC will open up. Still nothing yet!

We are now 13 April and just at the start of the third wave, with songkran nationwide spreading travelling also just started and continue for another 2 weeks.

So expect the 3rd wave to reach its peak of daily infections to be around the end of June.

July 1st seems to be the right time to open up for foreign tourists, I'm sure they will be queuing to get in.

11 hours ago, webfact said:

The governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand said there were currently no plans to change the country's strategy to open up to foreign tourism on July 1st.

I bet that doesn't get off the ground.  Not the way things are progressing now with the spike in Thailand's cases.   Come July 1st it should be peaking given that the vaccines won't be rolled out until June. Let's look back on this and have a good laugh.  I gotta bookmark this one.

Would have been far better, had he not said anything at all, at this time. Sure, you might want to open. I get that. But, the fiasco caused by refusing to shut down even a tiny portion of Samut Sakhon, could have caused this to fester, and may have resulted in a massive continuation of the 2nd wave. It is my opinion this is not a 3rd wave. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, pookondee said:

So why every Tom Dick and Harry suddenly thinks they can see in the future and predict life must be put on hold for X months into the future??

July is most of 3 months away and the virus news can change weekly if not daily.

Should every country be like Australia and keep locking its population up for future 6 month periods when they havent even got a Covid problem?

This guy simply said there is no plan to halt the country opening up on July 1st

Which is true, there hasnt been any announcement as yet. has there?

He didn't offer his opinion, or and bold doomsday predictions, simply that there hasn't been any plans made as yet.

Maybe some people will finally realise:

After 12 months of various measures, lockdowns etc

we STILL have Covid.

If we keep going like this, in another 12 months time we will still have Covid,

only then we will have to deal with

food shortages, depression, a huge increase in suicides,

a massive amount of industries closed and out of business, huge unemployment

and therefore general anarchy.

So what if Thailand wants to open up?

Good for them, though they probably wont get tourists anyway.

Personally, id like to have to freedom to be able to travel

(if i desire)

and take that risk

(if i desire)..its on me..

Instead of politicians deciding for themselves (like some nazi dictators)

that i should be a prisoner and not be allowed to leave the country for yet another x months...

just because they keep wanting people to live in fear so they have a better chance of re-election?

I was OK with lockdowns in the beginning. There was a lot of unknown and not enough data. Locking down was the best way to contain Covid. Now it is beyond crazy to lock down forever. There is a lot more data and vaccines. It is time for countries to examine ways of reopening (safely). July is still months away. It sounds like a solid reopening plan. 

• Thanks 2

This chap is in total denial. Firstly, we all know that covid is now out of control. Secondly, there is absolutely no way in a millions years that Thailand will now open as planned. And thirdly, who will want to come here when they see the sky high stats of covid infections that will materialize shortly. Total. Denial.

• Like 1

This goofy official won't know he just said it and anything will change later

Because this is Stupid Junta Government too many numbskull generals to change thing day to day 

.....  or  ..... minutes by minutes

What do you expect from goofy generals ?

---  You'll see  -----

6 hours ago, pookondee said:

So why every Tom Dick and Harry suddenly thinks they can see in the future and predict life must be put on hold for X months into the future??

July is most of 3 months away and the virus news can change weekly if not daily.

Should every country be like Australia and keep locking its population up for future 6 month periods when they havent even got a Covid problem?

This guy simply said there is no plan to halt the country opening up on July 1st

Which is true, there hasnt been any announcement as yet. has there?

He didn't offer his opinion, or and bold doomsday predictions, simply that there hasn't been any plans made as yet.

Maybe some people will finally realise:

After 12 months of various measures, lockdowns etc

we STILL have Covid.

If we keep going like this, in another 12 months time we will still have Covid,

only then we will have to deal with

food shortages, depression, a huge increase in suicides,

a massive amount of industries closed and out of business, huge unemployment

and therefore general anarchy.

So what if Thailand wants to open up?

Good for them, though they probably wont get tourists anyway.

Personally, id like to have to freedom to be able to travel

(if i desire)

and take that risk

(if i desire)..its on me..

Instead of politicians deciding for themselves (like some nazi dictators)

that i should be a prisoner and not be allowed to leave the country for yet another x months...

just because they keep wanting people to live in fear so they have a better chance of re-election?

On the other hand, how many lives were saved in Thailand via the lockdown? For a country of 75 million, perhaps 50,000 or more would have died if there were no lockdown.

But, to be kind, I will let you explain what Brazil - which didn’t have a lockdown - could have done to save the 350,000 lives lost from Covid-19.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pookondee said:

No, its because they don't want shedloads of their citizens dying and therefore have a better chance of re-election.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, hioctane said:

I was OK with lockdowns in the beginning. There was a lot of unknown and not enough data. Locking down was the best way to contain Covid. Now it is beyond crazy to lock down forever. There is a lot more data and vaccines. It is time for countries to examine ways of reopening (safely). July is still months away. It sounds like a solid reopening plan. 

If your country had an Ebola outbreak, your philosophy would to give lockdowns a certain amount of time, and even though lockdowns prevented mass deaths, after your time limit was reached, you would say “screw it”, end the lockdown, and let everyone die from Ebola.

It’s a good thing you don’t run a Central African country.