Video: Thais show good spirit to save the day for Fortuner stuck on the beach

webfact

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Yeah if I was tempted to partake in some beach driving I certainly would not be doing it on 20" low profile highway tires................no doubt inflated to 60psi as well !!

Agreed but the morons who drive these thinks it looks good and have no comprehension of mechanics or basic physics , nor can you tell them.

• Like 2

A Fortuner is not an amphibiuos vehicle.

Maybe someone should have told the fool at the wheel.

Nothing would have happened if they stayed away from the waterline.

And what is that about the jet ski??

Did they really attempt to tow a jet ski with a wannabee poser?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Many Moons ago i lived in the West Country Town of Weston-Super-Mare; or 'Weston-Super-Mud' as it was known to locals, because the shifting Mud that looks like Sand starts about halfway down the 'Beach' (Sand) and will suck anything under that weighs more than about half a kilo'.   Hence; many 'Tourists', mainly coming down from the West Midlands, would drive down the concrete ramps and onto the Sand or attempt to walk out much further than they should until they start to sink.  Subequently many people had to be rescued from certain death as the tide rose and almost weekly there would be a Vehicle submerged by the fast rising water and it was rare for a Vehicle to be 'rescued'.    All this despite huge warning notices all along the Promenade, up the length of the Pier and in the nearby Town Centre.     One of the reasons for the loss of so many Vehicles was people driving their '4X4's onto the Sand because they believed they could get out of any kind of trouble in these hyped up Macho types and they would appear astonished as they watched them sink into oblivion faster than the Titanic.

It is my belief that the only 'true' 4x4 Vehicle is a Land Rover;  just take a trip up to the works and watch them testing them on the works 'Jungle Trail' against just about every other type of so called '4x4' and see what survives by the end of the tests !

I think you may be confusing 4x4 with off road.

A 4x4 just means all 4 wheels drive which seems to be the case here although some are 2 wheel drive.  Not all 4x4s are intended to be used off road and may be more to do with grip in corners such as the Audi Quatro and Jensen Interceptor. There have been several several small 4x4s like the Fiat Panda which wasn't really an off roader but would have been useful in light snow or icy conditions or if there is often mud perhaps on a farm entrance.

Even if a vehicle is intended for off road use there are different levels to this as well depending on the terrain it's needed for. The advantage a Land Rover or Range Rover has (I think the Landcruiser may be similar ) is down to other features as well as it's driving wheels. One is obviously ground clearance but the range of articulation of it's axles (how much they can twist in opposite directions) is crucial in keeping all four wheels on the ground as they can't drive if they are in the air.  None of this will help in sand if the tyres aren't suited to this or if the tread is worn down which is very common on Thai vehicles.

Then there's the driver. Power should be applied gently to avoid the wheels losing grip, spinning and then digging the wheels into the sand.  If they just hit the gas and spin the wheels and then keep doing the same then there will be problems.

I have a Honda Jazz which is a great car but I would appreciate something with a bit more ground clearance as the roads in Thailand seem to be intended for use by the people who build and 'repair' them. In other words someone driving a pickup. Maybe a Toyota Corolla Cross would be better. I have driven a rented Fortuner once last year from Bangkok to eastern Rayong. It seemed pretty solid and as it's a Toyota probably reliable. It was 4 wheel drive although that wasn't needed but I did have to go over an odd mound of earth on a back road that would have caused problems in a Jazz or Camry. The main benefit I noticed was in those areas on main roads where a reasonably smooth road suddenly gave way to potholes and uneven joints between road surfaces. In the Jazz I benefit from intense buttock clenching exercises which wasn't the case in the Fortuner and there are often roads that would be much more pleasant to drive on in something like the Fortuner. 

In this case it may have just been bad luck but more likely it was down to driver error. This has reminded me of an occasion in a multi storey car park, in Khon Kaen I think where I had to help a guy by driving his manual car up the ramp as he'd had to stop half way up and could start on the slope. Not an uncommon occurrence in Isaan I'd guess as they aren't used to steep hills. You can often see and smell this on hilly sections of national parks where they overheat the brakes and run wide on corners because they don't know how to use engine braking on an automatic because they've never had to. Perhaps this driver had never driven on a beach before. Most of Thailand isn't near a beach.

9 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Why would she want to take her car onto the beach in the first place?

1. Couldn't find anywhere else to park.

2. To save walking.

I always find the best way to get peace and quite out in the country is find an unpaved path you can't get a pickup or motorbike along . After a few hundred metres it all goes quite. The only exception is if there's a temple.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

as a woman and her daughter could only look on and video as their prized vehicle was pushed out.

So, your vehicle is stuck, a bunch of strangers are daft enough to give you a push and all you can do is stand there and record it?!?! Put down the phone and push! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Why would she want to take her car onto the beach in the first place?

Probably because she didn't have to pay for it out of her own pocket.