Thailand reports 1,390 new COVID-19 cases, 3 more deaths

webfact

There are theories floating around about Neanderthal genetics somehow being responsible for increased severity of infection, or decreased severity, depending on the time of day, or which expert is making the pronouncement.

It is conceivable that some genetic contribution from Denisovans provides some relief from severe infection for Asians.  Although Asians have Neanderthal genetic contributions, Europeans don’t have Denisovan genetic contributions. Or .... Asians might have some genetic input from some currently unknown ancestor. We might get a clue on this in a few decades.

49 minutes ago, bestie said:

It doesn't matter if a country has a good healthcare system or not. Like you said countries with a good and even free healthcare system has the same mortality rate then other countries who don't have it. Why? Because it's a virus. There isn't much they can do for you if you have it bad. At least you can be sure that these numbers from such countries are quiet right. 

it’s almost as if the better the reporting from a country, the higher the numbers of hospitalizations and deaths.

"The new infections were down by a fifth from Sunday's record 1,767 cases, which the coronavirus taskforce said was due to measures to control the spread and requests for people to avoid travel and gatherings."

Don't these dreamers realise that latest restrictions have only been in place for 1 day, takes at least 2 weeks to see the effects of them. Bars have been shut 2 weeks but lat everyone travel the country. Reminds me when they lockdown last March and miraculously numbers started dropping in 2-3 days and they said the same then. I think it's down to problems with testing supply. That's the best restriction to implement, restrict tests as guaranteed to reduce numbers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marvin Hagler said:

That is exactly what it is...it is beyond question.

Furthermore  there is a direct correlation between the global corruption index and low Covid case numbers ie: the more corrupt the country then the less Covid cases and Covid deaths.

Ummm....might want to look into Brazil, Philippines, India, etc, etc.  Kinda blows a hole in your theory.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

No they don't realise that restrictions take  2 weeks to take effect, they also don't realise they're ranked 104th for transparency and corruption.

I think they understand the first point you made.   But don't care about the second. LOL.

The PM isn't even going to the ASEAN summit on Myanmar.  Hmmm....wonder why? LOL

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mberbae said:

WHERE are the vaccines ?

WHY are hospitals NOT allowed to buy

them yet ?

The vaccines are all over the world.Hospitals are now allowed to buy vaccines.If Thailand wanted vaccines they could have them.If Thailand was 4th best in the world for dealing with covid they would have vaccines by now.India offered Thailand 2 million doses sometime ago but Thailand refused the offer according to news reports here.

21 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I think they understand the first point you made.   But don't care about the second. LOL.

The PM isn't even going to the ASEAN summit on Myanmar.  Hmmm....wonder why? LOL

Is it because his special vaccine filled amulet wont protect him? Or does he believe he will become infected because he has  no faith in the vaccine he was given.

Edited by ThailandRyan

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Is it because his special vaccine filled amulet wont protect him? Or does he believe he will become infected because he has  no faith in the vaccine he was given.

I guess hard for him to be critical of the situation in Myanmar.  Hmmm....

12 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Vaccines are in short supply and just not available to many countries.  India stopped exporting due to their problems.  J&J has been put on hold.  The others are totally sold out with no availability for some time to come.

Don't wait for it- lose weight , alot. And the other two risk factors hypertension, and diabetis can self correct. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Vaccines are in short supply and just not available to many countries.  India stopped exporting due to their problems.  J&J has been put on hold.  The others are totally sold out with no availability for some time to come.

With vaccines in such short supply makes me wonder why Thailand didn't jump at the vaccines from India.Maybe the offer came with some unacceptable conditions.Also Thailand's choice to vaccinate frontline hospitality staff before frontline medical staff is a little perplexing especially when there are so few tourists and borders remaining closed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, peter48 said:

Incredible figures when you think 1000s were dying every  day in January in places like America and UK and Spain and Italy etc. ICUs in towns  were jammed up and ambulances queuing around the bloc and medics both exhausted and often in tears. In Germany one of the most advanced nations with one of most  advanced healthcare on earth over 80,000 people have now passed away. So Thailand like Vietnam  doing well.  Advanced Japan is now at 8,610 deaths   

Agreed but that does not address the current outbreak here with the new variant, getting a firm handle on it is the only way to avoid a repeat of what happened in the countries you mentioned.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

With vaccines in such short supply makes me wonder why Thailand didn't jump at the vaccines from India.Maybe the offer came with some unacceptable conditions.Also Thailand's choice to vaccinate frontline hospitality staff before frontline medical staff is a little perplexing especially when there are so few tourists and borders remaining closed.

I believe they were suppose to get a huge delivery here soon, but India has stopped all exports.  All.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

For those that use worldometer, they have added a new 'weekly trends'. Thailand is now 8th on the biggest rises in covid in the world. Not exactly something the TAT can spin for holidays.

Might be able to claim hub status very soon. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Wonder why? - well he can't critise another like companion in arms, wouldn't be the proper thing to do, now would it.? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, FitnessHealthTravel said:

Why the <deleted> would you get tested if you aren't sick?  Seriously, STOP testing and treat the sick.  Haven't these fools learned anything from the past 14 months?

Not much????

4 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

You are aware up to 50% or so of those infected show NO symptoms.  So, getting tested is the way to go to stop the spread of this virus.  Have you not been following the news?

Well it is apparently correct that over 50% of people are asymptomatic.  However I don't know anybody who would go to see a doctor, or go to the hospital if they feel well. Yes of course people should be tested for the virus, in very great numbers, but here you only get a free test if you feel unwell or it is thought you came into contact with a carrier (or a member of the Elite I suspect). Other than that you have to pay. Many Thais simply can not afford that.  If the government was really seriously about determining to what extent the virus had spread, and thus then put suitable controls in place, there would and should have been mass nationwide testing by now -Free to all.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Outreach testing!  Which the government has been doing all along in various targeted ways, such as the Thong Lo community, etc... Has nothing to do with traveler quarantines.

Sorry for being a bit dumb, but can anybody tell me what outreach testing is?

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Sorry for being a bit dumb, but can anybody tell me what outreach testing is?

They reach out and shoved the swab up your nose.  Literaly they are going out to Areas where the virus is and testingnon the locals, villages etc by setting up impromptu testing centers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1