Thailand reports 1,390 new COVID-19 cases, 3 more deaths

webfact

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its possible to be in exponential growth and still decrease in numbers for a few days. Look at these charts for an example of staying within the trend and then breaking out.

The number is very good news, but we have to keep our fingers crossed.
As you point out, there can be a few down days and it can spring back up.
If it resumes a exponential path, the numbers will go way above 2000 suddenly . Lets hope not.

Edited by jojothai
removed chart
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Well we all know they're struggling with testing so these new figures are dubious to say the least

I believe that they are testing and using whatever resources they can. If that is not enough then so be it but at least there are tests being done which is better than no testing! The virus has spread quickly all over Thailand, and even if there is only limited testing then the number of positive cases has been enough to raise alarm bells.

Let's hope those numbers come down to the low hundreds quickly so that we can all move on and further down the line.......get vaccinated ????.

Lying patients infect 33 medics in Thailand's third wave

"The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration has announced that 146 medical personnel have contracted the virus since April 1 in Thailand’s new wave of infections.

Of the 146, 33 have contracted the virus from patients who concealed their timeline."

• Sad 2

40 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Province by province breakdown of today's newly reported  COVID cases, along with the comparable chart from yesterday for comparison purposes.

Provinces are listed in the order as reported by the Ministry of Public Health. Although the data is for new daily COVID cases, the ranked listing in the charts is based on the provinces total number of COVID cases (numbers not shown in the charts) since the pandemic began.

04-19-21k.jpg.5911a0ec359c9c73c24550654fee543c.jpg

04-18-21m.jpg.506b68849de2d5658302e2ce21787e31.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10157960222347050

So in light of the recent additions to the quarantines mandated by provinces, why would you need to quarantine for 14 days if you drove to Phuket and then back to BKK, just asking for a friend.

16 minutes ago, BookShe said:

Sure they can in LOS. ???? Just like the hospitality sector's contribution to the GDP. One day it's 12%, and then 15% or 20%. Mathematicians around the world are working hard to come up with new sets of moving averages that can be used in Thailand.

Ah the old Bell curve trick for grading students is now being used for tracking Covid. Makes perfect sense now....????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I have noticed you have used MTT before. I know what GTM means but what does MTT mean?

Muang Thong Thani Immigration.  It is right behind the Convention center, across the road from it on the the backside, Poplar Road, where they just had the Bangkok Motor show.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, jojothai said:

The number is very good news, but we have to keep our fingers crossed.
As you point out, there can be a few down days and it can spring back up.
If it resumes a exponential path, the numbers will go way above 2000 suddenly . Lets hope not.

The fall in one days numbers means nothing in and of itself. There are just too many variables in the process of compiling the numbers for one day to mean anything.

one thing is for sure. The drop in today’s numbers has nothing to do with the preventative measure announced Friday. There is a time lag before they will have any effect whatsoever.

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Ah the old Bell curve trick for grading students is now being used for tracking Covid. Makes perfect sense now....????

Or It's more like a Bollinger Band, where the upper band and the lower band can deviate from the center line in great values. ie. the center line MA (moving average) can show 10%, while the upper line shows 25%, and the lower line at 5%. Basically you can't be wrong between 5% and 25%, since every answer is correct.

3 hours ago, rabas said:

Do you mean these people were first placed in quarantee because they were high risk, then tested positive? That would make sense to me but I don't know.

I Think you are right. My interpretation is known close contacts testing positive after entering a quarantine facility

• Like 1

...not surprising is it.

Of course there going to be more cases, because Thailand is finally starting to get its act together with testing and tracing.

And in my opinion these headlines will keep appearing long after 50-70% of the population have been vaccinated. (There will always be pockets of people who refuse vaccinations and others who have not yet bothered).

its a fact of life...this is a newly found virus that has spilled over to humans, and will now take its place along with all the others and be around forever..it may never go away.

Its up to us humans to learn how to live with it.

RIP those who have succumbed to date.

Well wishes to those who have contracted it as well as those long term Covid sufferers who need palliative care and or ventilators.

My references: Dr. Tony Fauci, US Dept of Health, Dr. Daniel Griffin, US Physician, and TWiV Podcast Virologists Dr. Vincent Racianello, see episodes 744 and 745 in particular.

6 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

The fall in one days numbers means nothing in and of itself. There are just too many variables in the process of compiling the numbers for one day to mean anything.

one thing is for sure. The drop in today’s numbers has nothing to do with the preventative measure announced Friday. There is a time lag before they will have any effect whatsoever.

That's understood, but Its not just one days numbers I am looking at. Its the last three days which potentially show that the uptrend has stopped being exponential and become linear.  
As I said Todays number is very good news, that's because if this goes on an exponential trend as elsewhere we would expect well over 2000. Lets hope the rate of increase has  flattened out and numbers do not jump substantially.
I expect we will only get the true picture in the next week or so.

We also have to hope that its not false data and/or they have not been reducing testing.

Have to look at the number of tests per day.

as I keep saying and will keep saying 

infection numbers rely on testing - without the testing data these daily released figures mean absolutely nothing

How do you find if someone is infected - you carry out a test, there is no other way 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

It was the Weekend

Testing in the UK and other Countries also dipped over the Weekend due to slower Lab results Etc Etc

And it was Songkran. Testing in the US and other countries also took a major dive during Christmas and New Year's

Bangkok hospitals restricting Covid tests

"Bangkok hospitals were limiting their testing for the Covid-19 virus Monday, as the rate of new cases amid the third wave dropped slightly but remained well above 1,000 per day.

Private establishments BNH Hospital and Praram 9 Hospital said they were no longer accepting new Covid patients. The Paolo Hospital in Phaholyotin, also private, said they have received a new batch of test kits and are accepting walk-ins, but only from 8 am to 5 pm, and for a flat fee of 4,500 baht.

Among the public hospitals, Taksin Hospital is providing free tests, but only to at-risk patients. Thammasat University Hospital and King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital are also testing only at-risk populations, and only up to 100 tests per day. Chulalongkorn starts distributing queue numbers at 7:30 am. Neither are providing drive-through services."

(more)

https://www.thaienquirer.com/26506/bangkok-hospitals-restricting-covid-tests/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Bangkok hospitals were limiting their testing for the Covid-19 virus Monday, as the rate of new cases amid the third wave dropped slightly but remained well above 1,000 per day.

Private establishments BNH Hospital and Praram 9 Hospital said they were no longer accepting new Covid patients. The Paolo Hospital in Phaholyotin, also private, said they have received a new batch of test kits and are accepting walk-ins, but only from 8 am to 5 pm, and for a flat fee of 4,500 baht.

Among the public hospitals, Taksin Hospital is providing free tests, but only to at-risk patients. Thammasat University Hospital and King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital are also testing only at-risk populations, and only up to 100 tests per day. Chulalongkorn starts distributing queue numbers at 7:30 am. Neither are providing drive-through services.

(more)

And again limited testing is going on because beds have filled up.  Where are the <deleted> vehicles that they provide testing out of.  At the same time they should be listing locations that have beds and keep updating it on a regular basis as stats allow.  The seriousness of this issue if not just laughable, make my stomach turn to realize that there are people out there who need to be tested, want to be tested, are being gouged 4500 THB for a test and then made to wait to get treatment if they have symptoms.  Argh..... 

Edited by blackcab
One word removed
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

"Bangkok hospitals were limiting their testing for the Covid-19 virus Monday, as the rate of new cases amid the third wave dropped slightly but remained well above 1,000 per day.

Among the public hospitals, Taksin Hospital is providing free tests, but only to at-risk patients. Thammasat University Hospital and King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital are also testing only at-risk populations, and only up to 100 tests per day. Chulalongkorn starts distributing queue numbers at 7:30 am. Neither are providing drive-through services."

(more)

Appalling. They will never ever get any reliable data with that kind of money pinching attitude. Tests have to be free and they have to be available everywhere

• Like 2

A disallowed and dubious social media post has been removed, along with several replies.

Please note the forum's policy on social media content posting:

18) Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

Posters who continue to violate this rule may face a posting suspension..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I think it refers to people arriving from abroad and entering State Quarantine or ASQ

33 minutes ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

It means that 326 people who arrived in the country and went into quarantine . . .! Doh!

Highly unlikely, they have been publishing the numbers of people in SQ/ASQ (single figures in the main) and a jump of that magnitude would be alarming.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

then made to wait to get treatment if they have symptoms.  Argh..... 

Thailand is one of the few places I know of that put you in the hospital without symptoms.  Seems stupid taking up beds for those who may actually get ill.

This is from the CDC website and is what most western countries have been doing:

Most people with COVID-19 have mild illness and can recover at home without medical care. Do not leave your home, except to get medical care. Do not visit public areas.

But my experience here is people rush to the emergency for nothing really.  Tell a Thai you have a headache and they say: go to emergency.

My point is I bet a lot of tests are wasted do to paranoia and the hospital beds are probably filled with lots of asymptomatic or mild symptoms.

Seems a huge waste.

Edited by bkk6060

Government says testing is progressing on an mRNA COVID vaccine candidate being developed by Chulalongkorn University, with trials on human volunteers slated to begin toward the end of April.

"Due to the COVID-19 situation, the medical community has had to expeditiously develop a vaccine to the best of its ability. Exceptionally noteworthy is the work being done by Chulalongkorn University, whose COVID-19 vaccine is an mRNA one. The mRNA technology has received approval for emergency use in several countries. The team’s animal-testing phase has produced satisfactory results and to the delight of all Thais the vaccine will be given to volunteers around the end of April."

Screenshot_4.jpg.0d78d67098fc8d9ace1f0f5949153ebe.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/videos/3175887306063737/

• Like 1