Thai Prime Minister reassures public after most severe COVID-19 wave

Jonathan Fairfield

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Thai Prime Minister reassures public.................................

That's when I stopped reading.

That old chestnut "there will not be a coup" sprung to mind !

The honest headline would have read: ' .... tries to reassure the public...'

My Thai friends are scared <deleted>less ...

And we all know they don't have the resources to deal with a serious wave ...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thai capital only had enough for one more week at the current daily rate of cases.

One more week before deaths start to really ramp up. Even here in the UK we are not sure about opening up due to all the new variants. So why risk it with an unprotected population?

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

"The government and I will do everything possible to ensure that we all will persevere through this crisis."

You have all been vaccinated so you will but what about the rest of the population? I guess they are expendable. Sure you have ordered the extra vaccines but how long before you even get all the vulnerable people their first shot? 

• Like 2

"Thailand reported 2,070 new coronavirus cases on Friday, the highest daily number since the pandemic started."

But of course, everything's under control - the Prime Minister and The Health Mionister said so!

• Like 2

Just now, sambum said:

"Thailand reported 2,070 new coronavirus cases on Friday, the highest daily number since the pandemic started."

But of course, everything's under control - the Prime Minister and The Health Minister said so!

13 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Most countries vaccinated health workers first, but here many are reported as getting sick with Covid according to the other TV thread article. And yet tourism workers in phuket have been vaccinated so that they can deal with vaccinated tourists.

now THAT one has me stumped.

Also, the Thai Government has been vaccinated I believe!

7 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The vast majority of New cases are in over-crowded Bangkok and that's where any new control measures should be focused. Let's wait another 5-7 days post Songkran to see where the numbers settle. Most other countries are still in the tens of thousands of new daily cases (300k for India) and Japan is locking down Tokyo and Osaka so I wouldn't panic over a couple thousand infections.

And just what are the populations of India and Japan compared to Thailand?

To save you looking it up:- India 1,390,975,476, and Japan 126,162,025  (Substantially more than the population of Thailand which stands at 69,941,967.) (Figures from Worldometer)

(P.S. India's latest daily infections is shown as "only" 8,025, so maybe they have it more under control than the media would have us believe?)

• Confused 3

47 minutes ago, chang1 said:

1 week before ICUs are overrun and you are not worried? 

Hardly...with 418 critical patients as of today, for the whole country, ICUs are far from overrun.

What is filling up the hospitals are the asymptomatic patients, which is not reason for panic.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sambum said:

And just what are the populations of India and Japan compared to Thailand?

To save you looking it up:- India 1,390,975,476, and Japan 126,162,025  (Substantially more than the population of Thailand which stands at 69,941,967.) (Figures from Worldometer)

(P.S. India's latest daily infections is shown as "only" 8,025, so maybe they have it more under control than the media would have us believe?)

Yes...and what point are you trying to make I'm not clear. I also tend to compare Thailand's numbers to France or Italy as the population numbers are more similar but of course there are lots of dissimilarities as well. 

France 31k yesterday 

Italy 15k

Thailand 3k.

• Like 1