Immigration deny demanding  foreigner pay 500 baht daily fine after embassy closes

webfact

1pm.jpg

Picture: INN

An immigration police spokesman has described as a "misunderstanding" after a Twitter user claimed that a person from Myanmar was being charged 500 baht a day to stay in Thailand.

The woman was unable to extend her passport because the Myanmar embassy was closed for an extended period so she was technically on overstay.

The Twitter user said she had told the IB in Nakhon Ratchasima that she was unable to renew her passport but they fined her 500 baht a day. Was this going to cost them 15,000 baht a month?, the tweet asked.

IB spokesman Pol Maj-Gen Achayon Kraithong said that the Twitter user was not directly affected; it was the wife of a Thai friend. 

She had been granted permission to stay in Thailand until April 27th of this year when she went to get an extension in November of last year. 

Her extension of stay was granted up to the end of the validity of her passport, following all rules. 

She was unable to extend her visa when she went to extend it because the embassy was shut from 26th April to 9th May and thus her passport was now expired.

Achayon said that she was told quite properly that she could be fined 500 baht a day - up to a maximum of 20,000 baht - but she was not actually fined at all.

He explained that while immigration have strict rules, especially at the border, for long term residents such as this there is leeway in what the IB can do and this was done in this case. 

He said that the Twitter user had misunderstood the situation and asked for all people to check the facts before posting.

He said that immigration would listen to people's concerns and we're here to help, reported INN News who called it a "drama". 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-04-29

• Haha 2

So just how does a Myanmar citizen now get a new passport within the country if the Embassy is closed.  They do not respond to e-mails or answer phone calls either.  In a similar situation with my GF whose passport expires in 11 months.  If they stay closed what is a person to do?

6 minutes ago, webfact said:

The woman was unable to extend her passport because the Myanmar embassy was closed for an extended period so she was technically on overstay.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

So, in theory, if someone's passport expired before they could get a new one, they can stay in the country and possibly pay an overstay fine and then get an extension if eligible once they get their new passport? Just curious as it must have happened to people who ordered their new passport last minute

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I think there's going to be a big difference in how things are treated between forgot to get a passport vs physically impossible to get a passport due to the civil service being shut down if I understand the situation correctly.

I can see only one way through this - they will follow the letter of the law, after 90 days they will arrest the person on overstay and deport then ban them.

I would expect nothing less from Thai immigration. If it were me I would plan based on the worst case scenario and hope for the best.

I would agree with you, but let's say for any reason, the embassy issuing the passport has had some delays and deliver your new passport a few days after your old one expired. You think they would not allow you to extend at immigration? I mean, if over 90 days late, I am pretty sure you are right.

Everybody should know that it takes time to renew a passport in a foreign country and anybody who waits until the last day of their passport deserves everything that they get. There is no excuse for this person not to have applied early in April for a new passport instead of waiting until the day it expired. Even if the embassy was opened this person would still not have a valid passport and would therefore legally be an illegal immigrant. There are many idiots on here who I would like to see them try and get a passport renewed in 1 day from their home countries embassy. passport and extension to stay expires 27 April, apply for new passport 10 April no problem. Plus you would still have your old passport with the receipt in it so that immigration would know that you have applied for a new passport. Every country normally has a minimum required time remaining in your passport to be able to apply for your next extension and the normal time is 6 months validity remaining in your passport.

Just now, Sydneyboy1 said:

Wow. You can call someone a complete tool and the post is allowed.  I call someone a drongo and get a 2 day posting ban. But then again I haven't go 28k odd likes.  Certain admin need to pull their head out of their sand box. 

Some tools are useful !....   in this case the specific tool in question is extremely useful so that the majority of us know there are people out there like this....  It's important for us to recognise that not all people are normal and decent human beings and will case sanctimonious judgement on those who find themselves in trouble through no fault of their own. 

33 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Everybody should know that it takes time to renew a passport in a foreign country and anybody who waits until the last day of their passport deserves everything that they get. There is no excuse for this person not to have applied early in April for a new passport instead of waiting until the day it expired. Even if the embassy was opened this person would still not have a valid passport and would therefore legally be an illegal immigrant. There are many idiots on here who I would like to see them try and get a passport renewed in 1 day from their home countries embassy. passport and extension to stay expires 27 April, apply for new passport 10 April no problem. Plus you would still have your old passport with the receipt in it so that immigration would know that you have applied for a new passport. Every country normally has a minimum required time remaining in your passport to be able to apply for your next extension and the normal time is 6 months validity remaining in your passport.

I would agree that trying to renew a foreign passport one day notice is complete madness. It is common sense to allow a few weeks, or better a few months in order to not end up in trouble. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

It was all a misunderstanding, after getting on social media.

7 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

It was all a misunderstanding, after getting on social media.

The Myanmar embassy IS closed and it closed 1 day before her passport expired and it is only closed until May 9 and in that time there are public holidays both in Thailand and Myanmar that the embassy observe. It is bad planning by her.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 9:08 AM, JeffersLos said:

Go back to Myanmar before their passport expires. They don't have any right to just stay here because they want to. 

believe there might be a few vacancies in the Myanmar junta if you're looking for employment.

• Haha 2

On 4/29/2021 at 6:22 AM, JeffersLos said:

They should be back there helping their brothers and sisters, helping their country. 

Not illegally cowering away in a foreign land.

I don't think you can compare 4 million Syrian males at their best age 20y. Running and hiding in Europe to 100000 Myanmar. The Syrian immigrants I would train and send back to fight for their country instead of sending our guys to die

• Sad 1