Keeping 800K in the bank after extension of stay

I obtained an extension of stay at the beginning of this month on basis of retirement and using the 800K in the bank method. Previously there was a requirement for the bank balance to remain above 800K for, I think, four months after the date of extension.  I tried to check today if this requirement was still in force and I could not find any mention of it. Has it been removed or did I just not look hard enough?

• Confused 1

Just back from doing the annual extension in Khon Kaen.

No paper or note in passport about showing evidence of keeping the 800,000, nor any verbal.

Polite guy officer, sergeant, squad leader according to his plaque. Mask worn. Very few customers.

Bank branch Kasikorn T. Nammuang usually used for letter closed due to Covid case there. Got a letter at another branch.

9 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i believe it is for three months.

i keep mine in year round. it makes things SO much easier.

I tend to let mine go below every year and top it up once a year with enough to bind me over for the following year, anon.

I didn't think it could be any easier.

Top up once a year. Guess I was wrong. 

The rules are very clear and did not change at all: you have to keep the 800K 3 months after receiving your DEFINITE stamp of extension of stay. After you can drop till 400K. Most Immi offices don't control at the next 90d report what doesn't mean you are free to take the risk to ignore or not fulfill this rule as at your next extension application they certainly will check it. In case you did break  this rule they can refuse your new extension. It is all clear in case you can read.

• Like 1

It’s 3 months after extension is granted. Some immigration offices give you an appointment slip for the date you have to show up with an updated bank book. Jomtien more often than not do that. I asked last time if I show up a few days later than the date is it a problem. The answer was No, but don’t come early.

co insides with my 90 day report so not a big deal for me.

More specific 2 months before you apply for the extension and 3 months afterwards for the 800K, 400K the rest of the year.

In the Ratchaburi office the first couple of years they never asked for anything special.  This year however when I got my extension they asked for another bank statement at the next 90 day date.  In my case that was only a month later.  I guess they are just covering their bottoms to show they actually checked it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It might be a good idea to call your local IO to check what they require, being as every office has their own rules on various requirements regardless of what the official rules say.

They did tell me about this when I  did my extension. I just couldn't remember if they said 3 months or 4 months. Anyway it's sorted now. If I'm at all uncertain about this kind of thing I find there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum who can be relied on.

The money requirements for after extensions are definitely still on.

They are extremely annoying and in my opinion not great for Thailand as they re a strong incentive for frugality. They are also inhumane as far as showing no flexibility for unexpected emergency expenses. 

Most offices don't require the three months after check but if you are in violation you will be ineligible for your next year's extension. 

But thems the rules.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It might be a good idea to call your local IO to check what they require, being as every office has their own rules on various requirements regardless of what the official rules say.

No need to call. The rules are clear. Annoying, mean, and irrational but clear.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GuyDow said:
14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

If I'm at all uncertain about this kind of thing I find there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum who can be relied on.

Indeed there are, but it is always, always a good idea to check the rules at your particular IO. Even then there are no guarantees. I went for a marriage extension, where you keep 400,000 in the bank for two months prior to application. A week before I applied they changed the rule to say it also has to be kept untouched during the month-long approval process too. The rules can change on a whim.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No need to call. The rules are clear. Annoying, mean, and irrational but clear.

See my comment above. Rules are not rules in Thailand. Rules are what the officer says they are. Never forget that, and trying to argue your case would be counter-productive.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i believe it is for three months.

i keep mine in year round. it makes things SO much easier.

Mine has been in the bank since I changed to this visa 18 years ago, I never draw out, I know people who have drawn out and then either forgot about the rules or don't have the ready money to replace, as this poster stated, it is so much easier just to leave it there.

• Like 2

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

See my comment above. Rules are not rules in Thailand. Rules are what the officer says they are. Never forget that, and trying to argue your case would be counter-productive.

Yeah but we haven't really heard about weird problems with this particular rule. It's really very clear.

• Like 1

Rule interpretation depends on the office as noted. However, I have not heard of anyone doing retirement extensions at CW having to show 800,000+ after 3 months. BUT, when you go for a new extension, they will check (from your bankbook) if the 800k was maintained for 3 months after your previous extension. They will then likely refuse a new extension if it was not. As told to me by an IO.

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

always best to check a couple of months before, got caught by Covid-19 last

year where the rules were changed between me and the next Farang, and the fee went up by 500%....found out all lies after i checked...TIT.     

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You must keep 800k baht in the bank for 3 months from the day you apply for a extension of stay and then 400k baht for the remainder of the year.

That has been a requirement since March of 2019 and the immigration order for the extension has not been changed.

ubonjoe......I got the full extension stamp for my marriage 'visa' on April 2, in Korat.

A few days ago, on April 27, I closed down the 400k account and moved that 400k to a new account that I opened the same day. 

Do you think that will be a problem for me when I apply for the next extension in March 2022?

On 4/29/2021 at 11:09 AM, colinneil said:

My wife went to do my 90 day report yesterday in Khonkaen, first 90 day since my yearly retirement extension, she was not asked to show the 800. 000 baht.

Irrelevant. This is about extension of stay, not 90 day reporting.

• Confused 2

20 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Indeed there are, but it is always, always a good idea to check the rules at your particular IO. Even then there are no guarantees. I went for a marriage extension, where you keep 400,000 in the bank for two months prior to application. A week before I applied they changed the rule to say it also has to be kept untouched during the month-long approval process too. The rules can change on a whim.

There is no rule changes with regards to marriage extensions.

The only requirement is to have 400K in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application.

That said, extensions based on marriage have to be approved at regional level (you receive a 30 day under consideration stamp). During this consideration period and until the extension is approved, it has always been the advice of many experienced TVF members to keep the 400K in the bank whilst your application is under approval.

This is because there is a possibility it could be refused and you need to resubmit.

It's not a rule change, just good advice until approved.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Toolong said:

ubonjoe......I got the full extension stamp for my marriage 'visa' on April 2, in Korat.

A few days ago, on April 27, I closed down the 400k account and moved that 400k to a new account that I opened the same day. 

Do you think that will be a problem for me when I apply for the next extension in March 2022?

Not a problem.

Just now, Thingamabob said:

Irrelevant. This is about extension of stay, not 90 day reporting.

Are you having difficulty reading?

The OP clearly states he is asking about the 800.000 baht remaing in his bank account after his extension.

Now many people have stated that they have been asked to show the money on their first 90 day after extension, i stated my wife was not asked about it.

Please read carefully in future, so as not to look silly when you post.

2 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

With the 90 day check moving more towards computers in all areas.

How will they check this

Simple answer is if they request you provide evidence of the 800K 3 months after your extension, then you'll have to appear in person, regardless of 90 day reporting.

If your IO reset your 90 day report when issuing the extension, it would be pointless doing it online as you have to revisit anyway for proof of the 800K.