Thailand reports 1,583 new coronavirus cases, 15 new deaths

webfact

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Reflected in the light blue shaded boxes, 28,696 COVID positive patients in some kind of hospital facility, with 871 in critical condition, and 250 of those on respirators. 203 total deaths, including 109 now in just the current month.

The first chart below reflects Thailand's total COVID case numbers since the beginning of the pandemic in early 2020. The second chart reflects Thailand's case numbers for its third wave outbreak that began at the beginning of April 2021.

Screenshot_3.jpg.0b0794bd7fd20b67cb4fbd89c5d6fb39.jpg

Screenshot_4.jpg.6842426d1516324fc9fe174a7249e25f.jpg

They must have a crack team working on this data presentation....their remit is to make it as confusing and as inaccessible as possible........and they are doing a very good job,

• Like 2

Sure numbers are  not correct.. The people in my province they tell everybody that there were more cases than the 9 mentioned a few days ago.. The hospitals here are full with people waiting for a test, what never was before and still low number???? But there is long weekend...........

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Sure numbers are  not correct.. The people in my province they tell everybody that there were more cases than the 9 mentioned a few days ago.. The hospitals here are full with people waiting for a test, what never was before and still low number???? But there is long weekend...........

The people in your province are counting new cases each day?

Note that the hospitals could be full of people waiting to take lab tests on an outpatient basis, but getting negative results.

But what you are saying is you suspect that the provincial government is undercounting cases. Are the districts also undercounting cases, or don’t they report cases?

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

That's the thing; there's just a lot of things that are currently unknown about the five different variants that have been identified. 

However, what is now known about the UK variant (according to a couple of recent studies appearing in The Lancet) is that it is not linked to a higher likelihood of death as was indicated in previous studies, but still be touted by much of the mainstream media and man uninformed public officials.

These new studies found no evidence that people with B117 (UK Variant) experience worse symptoms or a greater risk of developing long Covid than those infected with different variants.

What they did find was that the UK variant had a higher viral load and reproduction rate (transmissibility) than normal variants.  Specifically, they found that the B117 variant had a reproduction rate 1.35 times higher than normal coronavirus variants.

Like you, I'm not really sure what the REAL implications of this are, but if you listen to Press media and many public officials, they are inferring that the UK variants is far more deadly, when in fact that is incredibly inaccurate.

I guess the key here is even if the death rate is no worse the fact that more people will catch it......... the more will eventually die!!!

I have taken a conscious decision............ I don't want any of the variants........

• Like 2

Of the 15 new deaths reported Friday, nine were men and six were women. Nine of the 15 occurred in Bangkok. The age range was between 29 and 93, with a median age of 75, according to a government spokesman. Most of the cases involved some preexisting conditions that are risk factors for serious COVID illness such as high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, etc.

Screenshot_5.jpg.5f411e7507ac4960699d0f0fb50af2a9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Never seen so many people waiting  in front of the hospitals... and yes a lot testing means a lot of cases. All over the world you can find on internet is  about 1 out of 10 is positive...In my province 1 day 42 next day 9 it seems there is something not well and everybody know that these low numbers are not correct

Ah well, if "everybody know that" then it must be true.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Ah well, if "everybody know that" then it must be true.

I suppose they are right because all restaurants and shopping malls are desolated even the roads. And the hospitals are full.. 

32 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I guess the key here is even if the death rate is no worse the fact that more people will catch it......... the more will eventually die!!!

I have taken a conscious decision............ I don't want any of the variants........

I think the real key is that vaccine rollout becomes the overriding priority.  Regardless of whether one variant is more transmissible than another, they ALL can be lethal to someone in a high risk group. 

Until vaccines can cause herd immunity to occur, social distancing is the best tool we have.  At least here in Thailand, unlike in many other countries, social distancing is taken seriously by public officials and most of the public. 

I think the real "fly in the ointment" are people who don't take social distancing as seriously as they should. 

I have to wonder how much of this "third wave" here in Thailand is really the result of a UK variant, or whether it might be more the result of irresponsible individuals who ignored practicing effective social distancing. 

I mean, with a highly transmissible virus like this, all it takes is one person to being stupid and you quickly have a whole batch of new infections.  Too many people like that and you wind up with where we are right now.

Maybe the UK variant makes that a lot more easy to happen but the root cause is really people not practicing social distancing as seriously as they should, and hopefully the new restrictions will get people back on track again as we seemed to be last year.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Never seen so many people waiting  in front of the hospitals... and yes a lot testing means a lot of cases. All over the world you can find on internet is  about 1 out of 10 is positive...In my province 1 day 42 next day 9 it seems there is something not well and everybody know that these low numbers are not correct

What would motivate so many people to wait for testing outside a hospital? Are you suggesting that a lot of tests are being conducted?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

I think the real key is that vaccine rollout becomes the overriding priority. 

Absolutely ...........even though the UK government admit lockdown was the big influencer reducing deaths, infections etc vaccination is the way out.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Truly amazing how the numbers are going down now the Czar is in charge.

Stand to attention please. The Czar must not lose face.

Edited by AndyFoxy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can't believe anything they say or do for how the are masters of manipulation, smoke and mirrors and deceit. I really hope the internal spat between A-boy and P-boy hits a cross road and the Junta lose the Bhumjaithai Party.  Let's see them all lose face for their handling of the virus. 15 more dead is such a shame.

• Like 1

Today's televised English language COVID news briefing by the government:

Screenshot_24.jpg.d6fdc9edd90d8d4a4fe06e296f644a1a.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/thailandprd/videos/611514726473868/

And the daily set of presentation slides from the Ministry of Health's Thai language briefing:

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/316008306684167

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

-XaRPeId_bigger.jpg

Vaccinations in Thailand since 28th February 2021:

First dose - 1,075,756 people

Second dose - 335,858 people

Yesterday, 16,035 people received their first dose and 50,933 received their second dose. * The official population of #Thailand is 66,186,727

Regarding the upcoming planned increase in vaccinations for the general public, at least they're now specifying that it will be for Thai citizens. Foreigners, expats, etc. will come sometime thereafter. Those details have yet to be announced.

04-30-21d.png.d75fe952559215a6163fbc9c93ce5fe6.png

https://www.facebook.com/thailandprd/posts/4213884585301590

12 minutes ago, AndyFoxy said:

Truly amazing how the numbers are going down now the Czar is in charge.

Stand to attention please. The Czar must not lose face.

Or, the reverse was true: the numbers have peaked, which the moment for the PM to take control, to claim credit. 

14 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Any more details on this outbreak?

Re the Khlong Toei cluster, none in the government's English language briefing today, other than that it was mentioned in passing. The Bangkok Post has an article today saying 50+ people infected there. But the Post article didn't even say exactly where, what neighborhood or area.

The other cluster that was mentioned in more detail was one of 36 new cases from an illegal gambling den in I believe they said Ranong province,

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

One reason they can't make more covid test even they can! If they test more , they have to chance policy to put everybody in hospital whitout symptoms! Test 10 time's more and hospital/ bed place's run out in half day!

That is why they have field hospitals which can take in large numbers. Detaining people seems to work, although it is draconian and would never be allowed in the West. Even the threat of it modifies behavior. I know that I personally take much greater care to make sure I'm not caught up in a Covid sweep that might get me put in some "hospitel" or other place costing an arm and a leg.

24 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I think it's too late, the numbers reported, I do not believe, the variant is taking it's toll all over the world, where the variant numbers have dropped in other countries is because the got ahead of the ball with the vaccines, unfortunately this "government" in my opinion is not capable of handling this variant as it did last time because this variant is much more contagious that the other

Producing lower numbers works in the governments favour showing they are on top of it, which we know is not the case, just look at how they allowed everyone to travel during Songkran to spread it, it's everywhere, add to that people have been relaxed with the social distancing measures and are still not complying with what the government wants them to do, just think about it for a minute, how law abiding are they, as soon as someone is not looking, and we know the lack of police presence out there, they do as they please, everywhere I go, there are tents, but no one is stopping cars to check if people are wearing masks, taking temperatures, but those working will take the money and make there presence be seen, on their a$$es playing with their mobiles.

Although I can't speak for all of Thailand, I can speak of the large areas I have travelled to of late.

Pull the hatch down and get that vaccine as soon as possible, forget the numbers, they have not been correct, it's political, and this government has never been truthful, just go back to when Prayut was supposed to be the caretaker of this country, 5 years later, constitution changed and he became the PM, now if that is not a conflict of interest, having supposed to be the caretaker till a new government was elected, I don't kwow what is.

The UK variant is not really "much more contagious"; it is only 1.35 times more contagious as other variants (as evidenced in recent studies appearing in The Lancet). 

Of course the higher transmissibility and viral load of the UK variant contributed to the present situation here in Thailand BUT the real root cause was and is simply people practicing poor social distancing practices, I think.

I mean, think about the low numbers we had here in the Kingdom right up until April of this year, and then the sudden increase in the last few weeks. that happens to coincide with the holiday period.

As for the vaccine, Thailand certainly dropped the ball on vaccine rollout for sure but that's history and nothing can change that now.  Hopefully those in power have learned from their mistakes, and what we see moving forward with be exponential improvements in the rollout. That CAN happen if the right people take charge and make the right choices. 

I guess only time will tell but I feel confident that Thailand will emerge stronger and better, and things will return to normal sooner than many of us currently think possible.  In most crisis' like this, history teaches that is usually the case.  

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

The devil is in the detail of the number of tests being carried out. For example, Chonburi today reported its second-highest number of new cases with 151, but says that the rise was driven by increased community  testing.

This.

• Like 1