Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

To be clear I didn't say I wasn't going to try to register at Phyatai 2. I only said I am feeling cold feet. Just keeping it real. But again, if I knew for certain that I could get the same thing in PATTAYA next month, I would definitely wait for it.  But waiting until the end of the year or next year, I think that's really bad. 

5 minutes ago, thainet said:

To you and @Jingthing..the driver is my brother-in-law. New car, sensible driver, clean cut. Has been an airport taxi driver for over 10 years, now takes me places when I dont want to drive, and also does some Bolt at times now.

But I do apologise.. as for the return trip, waiting at Phyathai, using motorway including tolls is about the same 2200-2400 baht (not the 1200 baht I mentioned before---faux pas).

Normally I would just drive myself but I didn't know what symptoms I might have from the shot (none actually) so a driver was the best way (actually he just drove my car, my easypass, for 500 baht and a McDonalds for breakfast).

cool - if he is dependable and a nice guy can you share his Line here for those needing a Vax express? ???? Nothing wrong helping good people making a living in my view.

4 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

cool - if he is dependable and a nice guy can you share his Line here for those needing a Vax express? ???? Nothing wrong helping good people making a living in my view.

I will ask him in the morning if I can publish his Line ID.  Should be no problem, but must ask first.

Super dependable, super clean, super driver.  Anyway I'll get back here tomorrow sometime.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

The fact you are avoiding answering my question speaks volumes.

It means nothing. My role here is not to try to convince people that don't want to get vaccines to get vaccines or to deflect anti-vax rhetoric. 

This topic has a narrow defined purpose: practical HOW TO information about how expats in Pattaya (that want vaccines) can get vaccines.

Right now, for the vast majority of us, we can't get vaccines in Pattaya.

But hopefully, eventually that will change.

The current focus is a very limited opportunity for vaccination in Bangkok. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, VaccineHunter said:

I strongly disagree with your statement that "nobody can say for certain" when in fact its common scientific knowlege that we see increase anbtibody titres in longer duration intervals and third doses. Sorry for nit-picking but since you publicly make such blanket statements and did in the past I have to call it out. Here is just one of the studies in question:

papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3873839

I recognize the studies; I'm just saying that current "real world" analysis vs the original clinical analysis are two different things entirely.  The reason you can't simply accept the original studies to date is the Delta variant.  It is a real game changer.

The Delta variants is exponentially becoming the dominant form of Covid.  It has done this so quickly that there is simply not enough statistical data yet to make a genuine science-based determination.

You really have to wait and see what the effect of the Delta variant on fully vaccinated people before you can decide whether the pre-Delta stats still hold true.

And BTW, I am NOT an anti-vaccination advocate by any means, so please don't lump me in with such lunatics as you did in one of your previous posts...thank you very much.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

BPH has just emailed me with this:

"Moderna the alternative vaccine

Bangkok Hospital Pattaya is doing a survey to ascertain your wish for an alternative vaccine for our existing patients.

Please complete the survey using QR code between 8-22 July 2021 only

The vaccination questionnaire is for a survey of numbers If we have a progress of the alternative vaccine, we will contact you via the name and phone number you provided.

In this critical situation, we are here for you and thank you for your confidence and trust in us always"

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

I recognize the studies; I'm just saying that current "real world" analysis vs the original clinical analysis are two different things entirely.  The reason you can't simply accept the original studies to date is the Delta variant.  It is a real game changer.

The Delta variants is exponentially becoming the dominant form of Covid.  It has done this so quickly that there is simply not enough statistical data yet to make a genuine science-based determination.

You really have to wait and see what the effect of the Delta variant on fully vaccinated people before you can decide whether the pre-Delta stats still hold true.

And BTW, I am NOT an anti-vaccination advocate by any means, so please don't lump me in with such lunatics as you did in one of your previous posts...thank you very much.

you are mixing up two different things - overall antibody titres vs. the specific Delta variant immunity - my statements were not about the specific Delta variant effectiveness but about vaccination interval timing and its the increasing efficaccy resulting in increased antibody titres to which you boldly declared that we don't know yet - when in fact Astra Zeneca and Sinovac have already spaced out their intervals for the exact same reasons based on scientific studies and clinical insights. That's what I am calling out nothing else!

Oh and if you must know and you want stick to your Delta variant topic we also see current real world analysis coming in from Israel and Singapore recently  about the delta variant efficacy of MRNA vaccines that puts them in th 64% to 69% percent range of effectiveness in the field so again we have lots of data coming in that gives us good indicators where to place the efficacy in an overall picture. Having said that I don't think I did lump you in with any Anti-Vac proponent and rather want to call you out for making blanket statments that are not based on known facts and admittedly fast evolving scientific data.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-vaccine-protection-against-infection-delta-variant-15172308

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/06/health/israel-pfizer-efficacy-delta-variant-intl/index.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/03/delaying-second-astrazeneca-vaccine-dose-does-work-study-shows.html

https://www.ukri.org/news/spacing-pfizer-covid-19-jabs-increases-antibodies-in-older-people/

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-provides-clinical-update-neutralizing-activity-its-covid

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/pfizer-moderna-jj-vaccines-efficacy-as-delta-variant-concerns-rise/2419162/

20 minutes ago, VaccineHunter said:

you are mixing up two different things - overall antibody titres vs. the specific Delta variant immunity - my statements were not about the specific Delta variant effectiveness but about vaccination interval timing and its the increasing efficaccy resulting in increased antibody titres to which you boldly declared that we don't know yet - when in fact Astra Zeneca and Sinovac have already spaced out their intervals for the exact same reasons based on scientific studies and clinical insights. That's what I am calling out nothing else!

Oh and if you must know and you want stick to your Delta variant topic we also see current real world analysis coming in from Israel and Singapore recently  about the delta variant efficacy of MRNA vaccines that puts them in th 64% to 69% percent range of effectiveness in the field so again we have lots of data coming in that gives us good indicators where to place the efficacy in an overall picture. Having said that I don't think I did lump you in with any Anti-Vac proponent and rather want to call you out for making blanket statments that are not based on known facts and admittedly fast evolving scientific data.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-vaccine-protection-against-infection-delta-variant-15172308

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/07/06/health/israel-pfizer-efficacy-delta-variant-intl/index.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/03/delaying-second-astrazeneca-vaccine-dose-does-work-study-shows.html

https://www.ukri.org/news/spacing-pfizer-covid-19-jabs-increases-antibodies-in-older-people/

https://investors.modernatx.com/news-releases/news-release-details/moderna-provides-clinical-update-neutralizing-activity-its-covid

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/pfizer-moderna-jj-vaccines-efficacy-as-delta-variant-concerns-rise/2419162/

First of all, I'm not mixing up anything.  And furthermore, I have made no blanket statement about anything other than the fact that this is a rapidly evolving situation with many unknowns with respect to BOTH vaccinated people becoming reinfected AND the significance of the exponential domination of the Delta variant on vaccinated people.

You can cite all the present studies you want, but It is nonsense to assume that all the present studies give us a definite answer to anything!  This is a rapidly developing situation and there are no hard and fast rules to the game yet.    

With all due respect, it is you that is making a blanket statement when you say that current studies absolutely prove your point.  They do not. 

The current studies indeed have a credible scientific basis, but at this point they are by no means scientific proof of anything...yet. 

It is simply too early to make the kind of conclusions you are trying to make, and no credible author of any of these studies has attempted be so bold as to do that.

Edited by WaveHunter

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

First of all, I'm not mixing up anything.  And furthermore, I have made no blanket statement about anything other than the fact that this is a rapidly evolving situation with many unknowns with respect to BOTH vaccinated people becoming reinfected AND the significance of the exponential domination of the Delta variant on vaccinated people.

You can cite all the present studies you want, but It is nonsense to assume that all the present studies give us a definite answer to anything!  This is a rapidly developing situation and there are no hard and fast rules to the game yet.    

With all due respect, it is you that is making a blanket statement when you say that current studies absolutely prove your point.  They do not. 

The current studies indeed have a credible scientific basis, but at this point they are by no means scientific proof of anything...yet. 

It is simply too early to make the kind of conclusions you are trying to make, and no credible author of any of these studies has attempted be so bold as to do that.

as said you are talking about the Delta variant rather than the vaccine dose spacing and its effect on efficacy which has been proven out scientifically whether you like it or not. 

It seems you are once again engaging in an all too familiar pattern of making bold blanket statements like to when you boldly declared that Chonburi residents were not entitled to Intervac facilitated vaccines in Bangkok and now you deny that any scientific study has any validity because it does not proof your point as you seem to be assuming to be to absolute purveyor of the truth and you and only you rather than the medical community and the WHO decides when scientic data is scientific proof! Give me break man!  You don't know what you don't know.

Edited by VaccineHunter

5 hours ago, Harry2 said:

BPH has just emailed me with this:

"Moderna the alternative vaccine

Bangkok Hospital Pattaya is doing a survey to ascertain your wish for an alternative vaccine for our existing patients.

Please complete the survey using QR code between 8-22 July 2021 only

The vaccination questionnaire is for a survey of numbers If we have a progress of the alternative vaccine, we will contact you via the name and phone number you provided.

In this critical situation, we are here for you and thank you for your confidence and trust in us always"

Got the same info today.

2 hours ago, VaccineHunter said:

as said you are talking about the Delta variant rather than the vaccine dose spacing and its effect on efficacy which has been proven out scientifically whether you like it or not. 

It seems you are once again engaging in an all too familiar pattern of making bold blanket statements like to when you boldly declared that Chonburi residents were not entitled to Intervac facilitated vaccines in Bangkok and now you deny that any scientific study has any validity because it does not proof your point as you seem to be assuming to be to absolute purveyor of the truth and you and only you rather than the medical community and the WHO decides when scientic data is scientific proof! Give me break man!  You don't know what you don't know.

Look, NOTHING about our understanding of the virus or Covid is etched in stone as far as the underlying science goes...NOTHING!  All of our understanding of the virus, the effects of variants, the susceptibility of vaccinated persons to become reinfected...All of it is a work in progress.

THAT is my blanket statement!

Stop nitpicking about what I've said in the past.  Your example of me saying that Chonburi residents are not being allowed to travel to another province is in accordance with the CCSA and is a FACT!

The only reason people have been able to do get around this is becuase Bangkok Hospitals are turning a blind eye to the CCSA mandate.  This is not me saying this, it is the senior nurse at Samitivej Hospital who explained the situation to me.

Contrary to what you say, I am not denying ANY legitimate scientific studies at all.  I regularly read a variety of scientific and medical journals to stay abreast of developments, but unlike you, I recognize they are only studies, not definitive proof of anything.  They are only stepping stones to the truth.

What you seem to have a problem with understanding is that just becuase a study is conducted, does not make it's finding the de facto truth. 

For instance, many studies that are published, even in prestigious journals like The Lancet are proven to be incorrect only weeks later, as far as Covid goes.  So, you ALWAYS have to have an open mind with anything you read, and know it can change in a big way as time goes on.

I realize it would make life real easy If you could just accept each research report you read as the de facto truth, but that's just not how it works! Only a very naive person would believe this.

At any rate, you can believe whatever you like but that does not turn your opinions into actual facts, anymore than an isolated study would.

Share your opinions if you wish, but personally insulting and attacking others whose opinions differ from yours is just poor form on an open forum like this...so STOP IT!

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

You just don't want to accept you were wrong about the fact that we see increasing antibody responses with spaced out vaccines doses in the field - you can argue all you want about it but facts are facts.. that medical insights evolve further is just another blanket statement trying to cover your first blanket statement and if you truly believe it there would be no need for you to seek a vaccination in the first place since you claim that nothing is "etched in stone as our understanding of the virus" goes. Enough said... 

On 7/5/2021 at 6:09 AM, jacko45k said:

Well it is seriously beginning to look like Thailand can't come up with the goods.... which caught me out. With their usual commercial interest in profit I was expecting pay-for jabs for foreigners to become available and be my solution. I had underestimated the degree of incompetence and stupidity at the top levels.

I agree.

Cambodia is around 29% vaccinated.  

Perhaps a trip to Cambodia in the near future might be the solution.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

I agree.

Cambodia is around 29% vaccinated.  

Perhaps a trip to Cambodia in the near future might be the solution.  

The issue is also getting back into Thailand and no silly ASQ for 2 weeks..... I thought about the UK, but have burned my bridges there. Staying at my sister's in a spare bedroom the size of a dining table for 8-12 weeks between jabs isn't a great prospect. Nearby countries is certainly a consideration.... I was hoping that Singapore would come through. These countries have their own populations to take care of though.

6 minutes ago, Guderian said:

@TimBKK any idea which vaccine they're registering the over-60's for?

I really don’t know anything other than what Richard Barrow tweeted.  I would check out his FB page for a post about this, I would not be surprised if the answer to your question is discussed in the comments section to his post.  If not, I would post your question there.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TimBKK said:

I really don’t know anything other than what Richard Barrow tweeted.  I would check out his FB page for a post about this, I would not be surprised if the answer to your question is discussed in the comments section to his post.  If not, I would post your question there.  

Somebody else has asked it, but I don't see any replies. Several people commenting, though, that the telephone number isn't working. Man, the Thais really do seem to enjoy messing with our heads.

4 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Somebody else has asked it, but I don't see any replies. Several people commenting, though, that the telephone number isn't working. Man, the Thais really do seem to enjoy messing with our heads.

1 step forward, two steps back is par for the Thai covid course, sadly.

Bang Sue Terminal 

Walk in

Over 75 only

Mostly Thais

Expats accepted 

AstraZenica 

Phyathai 2  Hospital Bangkok

Register online for limited slots on Monday 

Over 60 or proven medical conditions only

Expat program 

AstraZeneca 

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The issue is also getting back into Thailand and no silly ASQ for 2 weeks..... I thought about the UK, but have burned my bridges there. Staying at my sister's in a spare bedroom the size of a dining table for 8-12 weeks between jabs isn't a great prospect. Nearby countries is certainly a consideration.... I was hoping that Singapore would come through. These countries have their own populations to take care of though.

I considered Singapore.

There's no need to stay the 3 months.  Could fly in and fly out, twice.  Perhaps via Phuket each time, to escape ASQ, if the sandbox is still running.  

Edited by Leaver

37 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I considered Singapore.

There's no need to stay the 3 months.  Could fly in and fly out, twice.  Perhaps via Phuket each time, to escape ASQ, if the sandbox is still running.  

Phuket would only be ok for second trip.... no sandbox unless 2 jabs I believe.

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Phuket would only be ok for second trip.... no sandbox unless 2 jabs I believe.

Yes, you are correct.

I guess with expensive accommodation in Singapore, Cambodia may be an option in the future, and stay the 3 months, then back to Thailand via Phuket.  

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I considered Singapore.

Did you see that one guy tested positive in Phuket after arrival, and now everybody on board that flight has to do 14 days in ASQ at their own expense? They can bury the Phuket sandbox as far as I'm concerned, anybody using it seriously needs to have their head examined, unless they have family here and will do anything to return.

10 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Did you see that one guy tested positive in Phuket after arrival, and now everybody on board that flight has to do 14 days in ASQ at their own expense? They can bury the Phuket sandbox as far as I'm concerned, anybody using it seriously needs to have their head examined, unless they have family here and will do anything to return.

Yes, I saw that.  Getting vaccinated is all about survival, not about inconvenience, or cost. 

Getting vaccinated here, in a timely fashion, is looking more improbable as time rolls on.  I am looking to other options.  I just don't have confidence in the Thai government, and I doubt I am the only one.  

If one is unlucky to have a positive case on a flight from Phnom Penh, or elsewhere, so be it.  I was looking at Phuket as a way back into Thailand, nothing more.  

With over 9000 new cases today, the number will just keep going up, to the point where going out to buy food will pose a significant risk of infection.  

It must be remembered, that one would be flying into the Phuket sandbox having been fully vaccinated elsewhere, so little to no risk of serious illness and / or death.

It's an individual decision, but it's fast approaching the point in time where waiting on Thailand for vaccination is becoming not an option.