Expats getting a Covid-19 vaccine in Pattaya for dummies with emphasis on expats outside the Thai system

Jingthing

18 minutes ago, Leaver said:

If you are lucky enough to be one of the 100 per day in Thailand's vaccination lottery for farang, are you given a guaranteed date for the second vaccination, or you have to play the 100 per day vaccination lottery again, 3 months later?  

I think that date is given at the time of the first jab. Of course it would be subject to change based on supply. 

Also:

Medpark Bangkok is still open for bookings in August!!!!!

https://www.medparkhospital.com/en/page/covid19-vaccine-expats

Edited by Jingthing

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think that date is given at the time of the first jab. Of course it would be subject to change based on supply. 

I accept the second vaccination may be postponed due to lack of supply, but can any member confirm a booking was made for them, by staff, during the first vaccination, thus, not needing to play the vaccination lottery again? 

I'm wondering if they are looking at giving all farang their first vaccination, then dealing with their second vaccination at a later date. 

It would not be hard for the website/s to reject a second vaccination booking.   

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I accept the second vaccination may be postponed due to lack of supply, but can any member confirm a booking was made for them, by staff, during the first vaccination, thus, not needing to play the vaccination lottery again? 

I'm wondering if they are looking at giving all farang their first vaccination, then dealing with their second vaccination at a later date. 

It would not be hard for the website/s to reject a second vaccination booking.   

I have seen such reports. Don't worry about that particular thing. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, fredscats said:

The title of the thread is" in Pattaya"  not much happening there then, I do not fancy a trip to BKK  blocks or no blocks

Very true.

I think its horrible that we're being forced to travel to a deep red zone with potential serious consequences of quarantine on return to access doses.

It's dangerous and ridiculous. 

But that's where were at now.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No.

Do worry.

But not about that.

I wondering that if it takes so long for the second shot, if people here, Thai and farang, will be unprotected.  Is that not a valid concern?

I haven't read the medical studies, but it would appear that  point in time comes where basically the first shot "wears off."   

25 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I wondering that if it takes so long for the second shot, if people here, Thai and farang, will be unprotected.  Is that not a valid concern?

I haven't read the medical studies, but it would appear that  point in time comes where basically the first shot "wears off."   

It's a balancing act with AstraZeneca. When you wait a long time until the second dose the eventual protection is stronger.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's a balancing act with AstraZeneca. When you wait a long time until the second dose the eventual protection is stronger.

And if one was to catch covid after the "power" runs out from the first dose, and before receiving the second dose?  

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

And if one was to catch covid after the "power" runs out from the first dose, and before receiving the second dose?  

Well you probably wouldn't have a serious case because one dose of AstraZeneca offers some protection. Unlike Sinovac. 

But I get your point. I think they're spacing it too long but the reason is obviously driven by low supply. 

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Where's your source for this? 

in the UK right now they're shortening the time between first and second jab so i suspect they have good reason to do this???

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Where's your source for this? 

in the UK right now they're shortening the time between first and second jab so i suspect they have good reason to do this???

Like I said already its a balancing act.

Here's some info.

Do your own research. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-19-vaccine-spacing-1.5934299

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well you probably wouldn't have a serious case because one dose of AstraZeneca offers some protection. Unlike Sinovac. 

But I get your point. I think they're spacing it too long but the reason is obviously driven by low supply. 

Yes, that is my point. 

If the time between the first dose and the second dose is so long, for whatever reason/s, that it basically renders the first dose useless, then what awaits the people living in Thailand, especially with the more contagious Delta variant?    

2 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Yes, that is my point. 

If the time between the first dose and the second dose is so long, for whatever reason/s, that it basically renders the first dose useless, then what awaits the people living in Thailand, especially with the more contagious Delta variant?    

I assume the reason the UK is reducing the spacing is to aggressively fight rampant Delta spread AND they have the supply.

Arguably Thailand should do similar and not use Sinovac at all but they don't have the luxury of having that option because of low supply.

• Like 1

Yes, that is my point. 

When you receive the vaccine in Thailand you receive an appointment for the follow up dose. 

For AstraZeneca the follow up does was initially 16 weeks (when I received my vax at the beginning of June).

This has since been reduced to 12 weeks (in alignment with the internationally recognised window) - The appointment on my Mor Promp app automatically changed.

There was an ‘announcement’ that the window for AZ would be reduced to 8 weeks. I think this was just one of ‘those’ announcements that did not turn out to mean anything. My appointment time on the Mor Promp app has not been changed and remains at 12 weeks after the initial vaccination. 

Thus: For those receiving the AZ vaccine I would assume that a follow up appointment will be given for 12 weeks. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When you receive the vaccine in Thailand you receive an appointment for the follow up dose. 

For AstraZeneca the follow up does was initially 16 weeks (when I received my vax at the beginning of June).

This has since been reduced to 12 weeks (in alignment with the internationally recognised window) - The appointment on my Mor Promp app automatically changed.

There was an ‘announcement’ that the window for AZ would be reduced to 8 weeks. I think this was just one of ‘those’ announcements that did not turn out to mean anything. My appointment time on the Mor Promp app has not been changed and remains at 12 weeks after the initial vaccination. 

Thus: For those receiving the AZ vaccine I would assume that a follow up appointment will be given for 12 weeks. 

It's 8 weeks in UK, 7 weeks if you push.

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I assume the reason the UK is reducing the spacing is to aggressively fight rampant Delta spread AND they have the supply.

Arguably Thailand should do similar and not use Sinovac at all but they don't have the luxury of having that option because of low supply.

I agree, so where does that leave "us" as in, farang, with the financial means to leave, and having a western passport? 

Should we consider leaving anyway? 

The "crumbs" handed out by the Thai government may not actually have the desired effect on the virus here anyway, due to their incompetence and penny pinching. 

If the time between doses here is long enough, than there's no vaccination program here at all, really.

I agree, so where does that leave "us" as in, farang, with the financial means to leave, and having a western passport? 

Should we consider leaving anyway? 

The "crumbs" handed out by the Thai government may not actually have the desired effect on the virus here anyway, due to their incompetence and penny pinching. 

If the time between doses here is long enough, than there's no vaccination program here at all, really.

I wouldn't say there is no program but it's obvious that Thailand and the people living here are in for very challenging times.

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

We already knew about checkpoints where we might be required to show a good reason for our travel.

Yes vaccinations are a very good reason and I wouldn't worry much about that.

But the news today is possibly much more troubling.

14 day quarantine if coming from Bangkok a deep red zone?

How exactly will it be enforced or not enforced?

We can't know that yet.

Will drivers even be willing to take us if they think they face a quarantine risk?

We can't know that yet.

Perhaps a travel certificate from City Hall might help crossing borders?   Anyone know where at City Hall you can get one of these?

I could even rent a hotel for as long as needed.

But want to avoid a quarantine situation.

6 minutes ago, shortstop2 said:

Perhaps a travel certificate from City Hall might help crossing borders?   Anyone know where at City Hall you can get one of these?

I could even rent a hotel for as long as needed.

But want to avoid a quarantine situation.

I have no idea but I think staying in Bangkok longer than you need to to get vaccinated would not be helpful as far as trying to return.

The CCSA mentioned increased travel restrictions today but said more details next time.

I'm feeling that people aren't getting the potential seriousness of these very new changes.

Yes I'll say it. It's too early to assume that going to Bangkok for vaccines is going to be realistically viable especially for those that need drivers.

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Today at Central Terminal foreigners and Thais received AZ vaccines. Recipients were part of the Thai National Insurance and employment system.  Good news.

More stuff in Bangkok where travel restrictions are getting heavier.

• Confused 1