What kind of hobbies do you have?

jvs

On 5/11/2021 at 9:43 PM, jvs said:

I can give you some basic tips,if you like.

Only if you are a hottie. And that's for me to decide. 555

The training is not in technique but stamina. I have no problems in the stamina department and want to keep it that way.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I believe there is one in Chiang Rai, a couple of hundred metres before the rear entrance to Central Plaza. Leastways they have a big yellow RC airplane in the window. I will have s look when I am next in town and send you some pics if you like.

OK found it thanks 

https://goo.gl/maps/TbJiSExWiTsZi6k26

https://goo.gl/maps/wwuJcQUnBQxagMb19

Edited by VocalNeal

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The glory days of steam rail, before the diesel destroyed the romance of it.

Yes. 

But.

Lighting up and preparing (oiling round underneath) a recalcitrant 80 year old GWR steam locomotive, in the early hours of a December morning, to work that days Santa Specials, as the wind and rain sweep in over Minehead's sea front, has very little glory and <deleted> all romance!

I spent many (happy) years working in my spare time as an amateur railwayman on one of the UK's steam heritage railways.

Happy days!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 12:58 AM, Tug said:

Excellent advice for a newbie to RC joining a club and getting the help to learn is a must since the wife won’t let me fly full scale any more I’m only doing rc thease days All in the states I have quite the collection my biggest is my 1/4 scale minnimoa the wingspan is 17foot 4 inches (slope and aero tow only)I also have a 1/4 scale fesiler storch  I’m putting together to use as a tow plane for the minnimoa two old German classics lol I’m using futaba radio gear I’ll be shuffling some of it over as soon as the pandemic eases rc is fun good for the eyes hands and brain (can be hazardous to your heart)when you auger in lol sky’s!!

Futaba radio is the best. Pity you cannot buy them here.

On 5/14/2021 at 4:15 PM, herfiehandbag said:

Yes. 

But.

Lighting up and preparing (oiling round underneath) a recalcitrant 80 year old GWR steam locomotive, in the early hours of a December morning, to work that days Santa Specials, as the wind and rain sweep in over Minehead's sea front, has very little glory and <deleted> all romance!

I spent many (happy) years working in my spare time as an amateur railwayman on one of the UK's steam heritage railways.

Happy days!

True, but.

I'll bet not many schoolboys gather to watch the 9.10 to Wherever diesel pass by and make a note of it in their railway book.

They belonged in a different age, when Britain was Great and the battleship ruled the waves. I doubt we'll see such again.

Sadly we don't seem to have become more enlightened and still seek better way to kill each other while children starve.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 5/20/2021 at 10:49 AM, Mansell said:

Futaba radio is the best. Pity you cannot buy them here.

Futaba is available in Thailand, good equipment but expensive.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.tommotor-rc.com/&ved=2ahUKEwj769n13dzwAhXp4HMBHWkGDTsQ_BcwBHoECBYQAw&usg=AOvVaw0MxNoIxTqqy7Jj2L1Z4N0K

I started with a Flysky FSi6X which I used for a year, 1,400 baht with a receiver. Good beginner radio but as the price suggests, cheap. Moved on to a Radiomaster TX16S, 5,300 baht from a Thai dealer on Lazada, has all the bells and whistles and uses Open TX which allows it to connect with multiple brands of reciever.

• 3 years later...

Flew one of the drones today, and took a 360° of the hood, from above the house.  Took a few snaps off the vids, a lot more available than below.   Telemetry wasn't cooperating, and couldn't see what the camera could, so all guesswork.  Too impatient to figure out what button I pushed to turn it off .. oh well.

Starts out facing North, and wat on top hill, is surfside, so East obviously.  Not really high enough to see the gulf.  Except for cut & stitch, I didn't bother editing anything.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

@Yellowtail I had a few ...  get bored and modify them, or chop shop if crashed.  If still works, then nothing a little super glue & zip ties can't fix :cheesy:

image.png.b11ec68a86bd09ce10006a20edfe4c92.png

image.png.afaaedc5cd4be68dbc327d70d8b1f969.png

image.png.e4fcef01bc916f003bfddfe6d3d273dd.png

image.png.54cca34eb3e63d013a7cd8dd725789bf.png

image.png.1d95035e1113022986f4f9ef4ad554d3.png

image.png.718aa8dd3bb7be30f9592b81176535e0.png

image.png.5174880af71e9b0df5fa731d5e59b19d.png

Landing on or taking off from water, no prob ...

and of course, a few batteries to keep 'em flying

image.png.f23e77e5a4ce47764722dbad82306b05.png

Edited by KhunLA

@mogandave Building them isn't really economical any more, as store bought, RTF (ready to fly) are cheaper and better than what you can DIY for. 

When I started it cost less to build.  Now you can get a whole drone for what 1 battery  would cost for a decent DIY build.

Don't even think I could remember how to build one from scratch again.  I'd have to check the DIY, open source sites, if even maintained, to teach myself again.  Use to program the controllers, and even reconfigured a GPS module.  Plug & play camera gimbals were a challenge.   Software helped calibrate the motors & PIDs.

You can go inexpensive for RTF units, or go DJI products for quite a bit more.

Captain Drone on YT should feature the latest.  From toys to DJI products.

Do consider, Thailand is hot & windy, and not drone happy environment.

This will show the difference of operating with all the bells & whistles, or on the cheap, 1 or 2 axis gimbal.   I put a ungimbaled camera atop my Mi drone ...

Edited by KhunLA

37 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

@mogandave Building them isn't really economical any more, as store bought, RTF (ready to fly) are cheaper and better than what you can DIY for. 

When I started it cost less to build.  Now you can get a whole drone for what 1 battery  would cost for a decent DIY build.

Don't even think I could remember how to build one from scratch again.  I'd have to check the DIY, open source sites, if even maintained, to teach myself again.  Use to program the controllers, and even reconfigured a GPS module.  Plug & play camera gimbals were a challenge.   Software helped calibrate the motors & PIDs.

You can go inexpensive for RTF units, or go DJI products for quite a bit more.

Captain Drone on YT should feature the latest.  From toys to DJI products.

Do consider, Thailand is hot & windy, and not drone happy environment.

This will show the difference of operating with all the bells & whistles, or on the cheap, 1 or 2 axis gimbal.   I put a ungimbaled camera atop my Mi drone ...

What is a good starter setup

Preferably popular and readily available in Thailand? 

48 minutes ago, mogandave said:

What is a good starter setup

Preferably popular and readily available in Thailand? 

Hard to go wrong with DJI Mavic line, though a bit pricey, but, will be first & last one you buy ... probably.  

I have 2 lower end priced drones, with minimum specs for decent vid.  VLL SQ906 Beast Pro 2, w/3 axis gimbal, and Sony camera sensor.  Probably discontinued.  As a few more came out afterwards.

Also have a MJX Bugs 16 (I think), will handle most any wind here, camera not as good, but decent, on 3 axis gimbal also.   I think both were in the $500 USD range

A good DJI will be $1000+ USD.   All 3 will have GPS, telemetry, to monitor and see what the drone sees, along with autonomous programs.  Most programs I didn't use, as more sales gimmicks, though nice if using.  DJI will have obstacle avoidance, that may actually work.  Wouldn't trust other brands version of.

Those 3 brands seem to be pretty dependable.   Always order extra batteries with any drone, as if & when discontinued, getting replacement will be a challenge.  Knock offs are usually poor quality.  

Last drone I bought was a few years ago, why the Capt Drone suggestion for what's new.  And he always has a best of, for the year recommendations.  I was already familiar with MJX products, having 4 or 5 already.  VLL was new to me, and recommended by a few YT'er at the time.  I'm a Sony fan, so that sold me.  What I use mostly when wanting some snaps.   Takes good photos, or I'll just pull them off the vid.  Very slight edit, and they look quite good.

I'm more just photography from a different viewpoint.  Not really concerned about making vids.   Done playing, sport flying, modding them, or chop shopping.  Running low on batteries anyway or most of the 'toys'.

Snaps of the hood, from the VLL SQ906 from last month, and a not so good day ...

image.png.e6cd62a03d2ee58a814550c857d21456.png

image.png.4a2adffa98863948bf49456fbf270d91.png

image.png.2c0691e6103638775a06612f51816fb0.png

image.png.7737f302cb3c73c3a5f0f2f78cb72561.png

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Which is your favorite? 

Do you crash a good bit when learning? 

Favorite (RTF brushless) was the Mi Drone, though it started acting up, so I sold it.  Inexpensive at the time, smooth moving gimbal, and really nice, good camera.  Large & heavy, and not very discreet would be the cons.  Direct competitor to the DJI Phantom.

Crashed ... who me ... :cheesy:

Yep, crashed a bunch.  First one, first flight ... total noob.  Actually a good thing.   As cracked the GPS module, so I actually had to learn how to operate.  Then got very good at it.  Second nature and no thought needed after that.   Like a kid playing video game.

Ignored all advice about buying a toy to learn how to fly, and learn in open field on a $50 USD one.  Instead, buy a $300 one and fly in the back yard, surrounded by trees :cheesy:

Latest ones have all had GPS, and since, got rusty to actually sport flying them.  More about photos anyway.  Now when take the toys out to play, have to think about what I'm doing ... sad.

Edited by KhunLA

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Do you need a license of some kind?

It looks like the DJI "store" on Amazon ships free to Thailand, plus about 15% duty. 

They also have a "DJI Experience" store at Mega Bangna, so I might swing through there and see what's up. 

Need to register drone with PoPo, and if having a camera, need to register with CAAT and have insurance.  Not sure if that has changed.   I registered a couple DIY (no camera) and my MI Drone, but took the detachable camera off to avoid CAAT & insurance.

Actually when law first went into effect, I contacted CAAT and they didn't want to be bothered with me, and blew me off ... WTF.  

I believe DJI will assist in registering.  DJI are 'all in one', non detachable gimbal/camera and another reason I went with Xiaomi Mi drone, aside from the price.

Check out the Capt Drone YT channel for the differences in Mavic models, and what's worth it and what isn't.  Along with new models, as I haven't paid attention for years.   I don't do vids, but I still like a 3 axis gimbal.   To put out a decent vid, you need a lot of editing.  A 3 axis gimbal and good 1080p is good enough for me & photography.

And if working with raw files (photos) or 4k-8k vids, then you need a lot of computer power, as they are huge files.  For social media, nobody can really tell the difference from 1080p to 4k anyway, especially on small devices.

• Thumbs Up 2