Been offered Pfizer and Astra Zeneca?

AnnieSeek

Hello i have an appointment next week for either Pfizer or Astra Zeneca. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two and what the general consensus is as the 'better vaccine'? 

Google is an utter minefield trying to get information. 

I had an option of both so I went with AZ for first shot and will probably go with Pfizer for 2nd shot.  It looks like that will probably give the highest efficacy across the broadest spectrum.  My only concern is if Thailand will allow travel to their country after getting 2 shots of different kinds.  Officially they are only allowing 2 of the same kind so far.

• Like 2

I think you might have problems down the road since these are two different types of vaccine that work in different ways.   I would check with an expert on the issue, otherwise, for the best results, stick with the AZ for the second shot.  

8 minutes ago, Scott said:

I think you might have problems down the road since these are two different types of vaccine that work in different ways.   I would check with an expert on the issue, otherwise, for the best results, stick with the AZ for the second shot.  

image.png.f45f9cbb57744474ca8cccdc655a21a8.png

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/a-mix-and-match-vaccine-study-suggests-one-shot-of-astrazeneca-followed-by-one-shot-of-pfizer-is-effective/ar-BB1gUi87?ocid=sf

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, AnnieSeek said:

What are the differences between the two vaccines?

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/health/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine.html

How the Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine Works

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/health/pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine.html

How Pfizer Makes Its Covid-19 Vaccine

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/health/oxford-astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine.html

How the Oxford-AstraZeneca Vaccine Works

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kiujunn said:

Fatty explained it well, for details go to Wikipedia.

Everybody will have to be vaccinated again, at the latest next year, probably already in autumn.

Under 40, you should not take AZ. The well publicized - rare -  venous sinus thrombosis happens almost only in people under 50.

So your telling 20 year olds will have to take these vaccines for years and years? Won't there be T cell memory etc? 

Edited by AnnieSeek

3 hours ago, AnnieSeek said:

Yeah it is new technology, lol - i keep hearing that. Where do i find out what this technology is? 

My biggest concern is that next year they say we all need to take it again. 

Finding out about mRNA….(which they have actually been working on for a few decades now for various things)  Google is your friend. 

“…they say we all need to take it again..” (…next year…) 

Who exactly is “…they…” ? ? 

• Like 1

My sister AZ and her husband P, both the same reaction, either the first or second you get some sort of mild side effect, nothing serious, I believe the opinion is that AZ is better for older people

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, AnnieSeek said:

I'm currently back in the UK. I am under 40 so eligible for Pfizer here. 

What are the differences between the two vaccines? Also how long will they last? 

If you're in the UK you don't get a choice. You get what they have. Both AZ and Pfizer are ok - as are the other vaccines.

The differences - well, if you're an epidemiologist, you should already know and if you are not then I wouldn't believe the guff from most of the pseudo doctors.

The fact is - as you will be aware  - the UK is doing well in getting this thing under control and that's because of extensive vaccination by both AZ and Pfizer. The scare stories (probably put out by greedy US profiteers) of 'you get blood clots from AZ' are idiotic as the instances of these clots in vaccinated people is the same or lower than in unvaccinated people. As for side effects, some people have a headache, some get a sore arm, some experience no effect at all (I had my first AZ on 4th March and no side effect at all). I would prefer a sore arm to a week gasping for oxygen, as my sister found out. I'm off to get my second jab tomorrow...

Ask your local friends (who I guess will all have had one jab at least) what their experience was. You'll get the usual stories of aches and pains and grumbles, so then ask someone who spent any time in ICU.

It's really sad to see so many people putting so many scare stories around as it will only prolong the spread and deaths. We'll probably never get rid entirely of this virus but if between the body's immune system and jabs we can reduce the effects to the level of influenza, we can get back to some level of normality. 

Now - back to the scare stories and the sinophobia......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnnieSeek said:

So your telling 20 year olds will have to take these vaccines for years and years? Won't there be T cell memory etc? 

You say you don’t know the differences between the vaccins and yet you are asking about T CELL MEMORY.. ? First, ask your doctor who knows your health history. Second, we will all probably  need a booster vaccin. When , we don’t know, they are actually testing the time cover. None of these vaccins are forever . Third, all the vaccins are good. If you are female, do know that the baby pill contraceptive causes far !! more bold clots than AZ. And no one freaks out about that ! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AnnieSeek said:

Yeah it is new technology, lol - i keep hearing that. Where do i find out what this technology is? 

My biggest concern is that next year they say we all need to take it again. 

Much like the influenza vaccinations I would expect coronavirus vaccinations to be offered yearly too.  It does not look like SARS 2 is just going to fade away like SARS 1 did.

There are some companies working on a combined flu/covid vaccine for future use.

Also there are companies working on coronavirus vaccines that target binding to the the body of the virus rather than the spikes.  As there is a much lower chance of the body mutating compared to the spikes.  Plus many are also working on vaccines that target some of the mutations better, to be used as a booster to the existing vaccines.

Article about mRNA vaccines:

Understanding mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines | CDC

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AnnieSeek said:

o your telling 20 year olds will have to take these vaccines for years and years? Won't there be T cell memory etc? 

My 24 year old daughter back in Oz has told me that she is not getting vaccinated yet, she is young and fit, and also said that Covid is well documented that it effects mostly the old and those with comorbidities.

She has just had her annual influenza vaccination so that she can visit her grandmother in the nursing facility she is in, it's a prerequisite. 

Regarding vaccination, it's on the cards for her, but she is not rushing it, she has told me that she will keep social distancing, wearing a face mask, wash and sanitise her hands and keep eating well, exercising and taking her vitamins, D, C, and Zinc until the results are back in 2022-2023-2024.

I have to admit, the girl has caught on, i.e. the young are not dying like the old and frail, and if herd immunity is ever reached all and good, but she will get vaccinated when she is comfortable having all of the data in, no rush, so you might look at other alternatives as well.

As they say in Thailand, "up to you", to add, my wife is your age and she isn't looking at getting vaccinated yet either, each to their own, one doesn't have to follow everyone else just because everyone is running to get vaccinated.

Do your thorough research, stay away from the conspiracy theorists and when YOU are ready, then get it, that might be now, that might not be now, but have you looked at other alternatives that can buy you more time without too much risk, you do have age on your side. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Halfaboy said:

This is an overview of various Covid vaccins including their efficacy. Source: the Economist.

overview vaccins.jpg

As it stands this is too little information (maybe the article made clear). "Efficacy" against what? Death, hospitalisation, or symptoms? As far as I am aware AZ is close to 100% effective against death; I'm getting mine next week.

21 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

My 24 year old daughter back in Oz has told me that she is not getting vaccinated yet, she is young and fit, and also said that Covid is well documented that it effects mostly the old and those with comorbidities.

She has just had her annual influenza vaccination so that she can visit her grandmother in the nursing facility she is in, it's a prerequisite. 

Regarding vaccination, it's on the cards for her, but she is not rushing it, she has told me that she will keep social distancing, wearing a face mask, wash and sanitise her hands and keep eating well, exercising and taking her vitamins, D, C, and Zinc until the results are back in 2022-2023-2024.

I have to admit, the girl has caught on, i.e. the young are not dying like the old and frail, and if herd immunity is ever reached all and good, but she will get vaccinated when she is comfortable having all of the data in, no rush, so you might look at other alternatives as well.

As they say in Thailand, "up to you", to add, my wife is your age and she isn't looking at getting vaccinated yet either, each to their own, one doesn't have to follow everyone else just because everyone is running to get vaccinated.

Do your thorough research, stay away from the conspiracy theorists and when YOU are ready, then get it, that might be now, that might not be now, but have you looked at other alternatives that can buy you more time without too much risk, you do have age on your side. 

For a young girl in a low- incidence this is a rational decision,  at least regarding AZ.

Her risk from AZ would be higher than her risk from Covid. 

Her reasoning has 2 problems:

1. It works as long as OZ goverment keeps covid out of Australia, ie keeps Australia shut. They don't want to do this forever. 

2. Sooner or later they open,  and if their is no herd immunity (depends on how many people get vaccinated) a decision not to be vaccinated is a decision to get infected. In places that will not reach herd immunity (US or Europe will never reach it) 100% of the population will become immune - by vaccine or natural infection. 

Edited by Kiujunn
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, shdmn said:

I had an option of both so I went with AZ for first shot and will probably go with Pfizer for 2nd shot.  It looks like that will probably give the highest efficacy across the broadest spectrum.  My only concern is if Thailand will allow travel to their country after getting 2 shots of different kinds.  Officially they are only allowing 2 of the same kind so far.

I would ignore anything Thailand says - they are clueless,confused and directionless,changing tack all the time. Get what suits YOU and let the muppets go around in circles before it finally gets through their thick skulls.

• Like 1