Thailand reports 3,052 COVID-19 cases, 24 new deaths

webfact

COVID-19.jpg
File photo: Credit ThaiPBS

Thailand on Saturday (May 22) reported 3,052 new COVID-19 cases and 24 more deaths.

● 2,447 new infections
● 605 prison / prison infections

Saturday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 126,118 with 759 deaths.

The news comes as the Thai government has promised millions of doses of locally produced and imported Covid-19 vaccines before the end of the year. Mass vaccination of Thais and foreigners begins in five provinces next month.

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-22

Thailand's rolling seven-day averages of new COVID cases and deaths both declined as of the latest data reported through May 20, marking a rare break in recent upward trends.

Public health officials often look at the seven-day rolling average trends to gauge how they are faring with the pandemic.

05-22-21c.jpg.0217d2fa9ac9fa95f4fc7a6882a04218.jpg

05-22-21d.jpg.ee2e75e0d50ec333fffde7ac9a70b134.jpg

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus/country/thailand?country=~THA#what-is-the-daily-number-of-confirmed-cases

40 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

With all the factories, dormatories, markets and all the other clusters giving 100's of positives the numbers outside of prisons has actually gone down from yesterday. I get the feeling that the positive numbers are being trickle fed and eventually numbers will just disappear. 

I am not sure what you are saying here. 

It seems, however, that the number of cases outside of the clusters and the prisons is declining. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Community spread: 2,530 yesterday and 2,447 today. 

It used to be a mean average of 2,000 +/-100 daily. This is creeping up and the spread growing.

I would be worried if the number of hospital walk-in cases were increasing. 

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

where are the cases from Kao Yoi Phetchaburi????

That event is out in the public domain, no hiding it now.

I read on ThaiPBS that they are awaiting results for another 2,000 pax at the factory/dormitory complex. It’s likely there will be a few hundred more positives to add to the 682 already unofficially recorded.

They seem to prefer the ‘lump-sum’ approach, so I assume they will officially report all cases when all results are back - it may well be around a thousand cases in total. 

Whatever day they choose to finally report I guess we are looking at 4,000+ cases on that day = ‘standard’ 2,000 + Khao Yoi 1,000+ prison 1,000

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, realfunster said:

That event is out in the public domain, no hiding it now.

I read on ThaiPBS that they are awaiting results for another 2,000 pax at the factory/dormitory complex. It’s likely there will be a few hundred more positives to add to the 682 already unofficially recorded.

They seem to prefer the ‘lump-sum’ approach, so I assume they will officially report all cases when all results are back - it may well be around a thousand cases in total. 

Whatever day they choose to finally report I guess we are looking at 4,000+ cases on that day = ‘standard’ 2,000 + Khao Yoi 1,000+ prison 1,000

yesterday The newspaper wrote that there were already 1690 cases. 682 including these of Thursday.. We are not allowed to quote this newspaper on Thaivisa so you can read it back and still there are cases waiting for results. Yesterday too a lot of Birmese people were taken away with busses....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ikke1959 said:

yesterday The newspaper wrote that there were already 1690 cases. 682 including these of Thursday.. We are not allowed to quote this newspaper on Thaivisa so you can read it back and still there are cases waiting for results. Yesterday too a lot of Birmese people were taken away with busses....

Blimey - worse than I was expecting !

The ThaiPBS article was from yesterday, so there may be more to come as well !

BMA and military told prepare facilities to handle surge in COVID-19 infections

The first step calls for expansion of the capacity of the BMA’s hospitals and assembly of field type hospital extensions, to accommodate more than 5,500 patients, up from the current 1,218.

If infections increase, the second step calls for non-severe cases to be quarantined and treated in hotels, to be arranged by the BMA.

In the third step, the City Hall must set up a field hospital, modelled on the one in Samut Sakhon, using the facilities at Bangkok Arena, the Thai-Japanese sports stadium and the Bang Khun Thian hospital.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bma-and-military-told-prepare-facilities-to-handle-surge-in-covid-19-infections/

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Perfect conditions for the evolution of a new mutation.

And lets not forget, we are about to enter the Wet Season.

Even better conditions for disease transmission, and possible Mutation.

5 minutes ago, anchadian said:

On Friday, the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration had revealed that B.1617.2, the strain of the Covid-19 virus that emerged in India, was found among 15 infected workers at the camp, which has become a cluster after 1,060 of 1,667 workers living there tested positive for Covid-19 on Wednesday.

That's about 64% infection rate. This was Wednesday. Where are the numbers in daily infections? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, WhatsNext said:

I really love how thailand manages to downplay the numbers all the time by inventing new ways to present them, i have the final version for them

Today ZERO cases, beside from 1000 from the prisons, 1000 from the factories and some 1800 walk ins. 

Covid free naturally. 

Besides from that to all the doom and gloom typers here : Yeah there is a virus, yeah some people die from/with it. But also there is no Flu how amazing. Yes we are all going to die, eventually, but most certainly not en mass from covid. 

Absolutely right. Maybe the odd 2 month old baby but who cares. Right?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

Mass vaccination of Thais and foreigners begins in five provinces next month.

This is how that will play out, Medical staff first, Thais next, then the vaccines they have on hand will be gone.  They are hoping the AZ vaccine is ready for distribution but apparently they have already had production issues.  Lets hope it gets rectified

14 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

And lets not forget, we are about to enter the Wet Season.

Even better conditions for disease transmission, and possible Mutation.

Yea sure I forgot about that.

Here's some confirmation of the possibility of mutation when you have two separate strains mixing

When a virus such as Covid-19 enters the body, it begins to multiply quickly. Each time it multiplies, there is a chance that the virus may slightly change. This process is called mutation. More new strains are likely to arise and it’s also possible for new strains to mix to create even more new variants.

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/coronavirus-and-your-health/covid-variant

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Blumpie said:

What an epic day, things are great.  Only 3,000!!!  This is great news.

Tourism, full steam ahead!

Excuse me, I'm having a brain aneurysm.  

Should be higher. Unless there is a 4000, 5000 or even 6000+ day coming soon then something is amiss.

• Haha 1