Can one get 2 yellow house books at 2 addresses?

1. Is it possible?

Would anybody notice? 

Would anybody care?

3. Would it be illegal? Or is it required?

Background: many expats  stay not only at one address in Thailand.

Maybe own a condo at the beach and another one in Bangkok. 

Or own one place, but live mostly at their partner's place upcountry.

I guess, with the yellow house book you get an ID number similar to the Thai 13-digit ID number.  And this number is tied to one and only one address. It is illegal, to get a second ID number. 

Am I correct?

Edited by Kiujunn

simply go to the municipal amphor where you want the 2nd yb and ask the Civil Reg. office

they may be one of those amphor who,as arbitrary policy, refuse issuing any yellow book anyway.....

or will say a) yes, proceed or b) no, because thai ID tied to one existing address only

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Isan Farang said:

I live in both Ubon & Chiang Rai, i have a yellow book for my Ubon home. Have just built a house in Chiang Rai and they told me i can only have one book. If i want to have a yellow book for CR i have to cancell the book for Ubon.

Correct,i have two houses also,i was told i can only have one yellow book.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jvs said:

Correct,i have two houses also,i was told i can only have one yellow book.

Last 2 posters correct. 

Same as a Thai person, they can only be registered in one 'Tibbian Barn".

So for the OP, there is your definite answer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

But you can have one yellow book and one blue book, as I do, in two different provinces....

I have two blue books and one yellow book,blue book can be empty if no one lives in the house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

You can have one blue and one yellow book for every house/condo that you own.

But you can only be registered as resident in one of them.

So there is a central registry, otherwise they wouldn't know that you are already registered somewhere else?

12 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

So there is a central registry, otherwise they wouldn't know that you are already registered somewhere else?

Yes, there is. That is how a Thai can request a replacement for a lost blue book and it will come with all the people listed that previously registered at that address.

• Like 1

Only one entry into one house book at any one time is allowed. Concurrent entry into more than one house book using the same non-Thai ID number is not possible. The government centralised computer system will not allow this to happen.

Only one non-Thai ID number is issued to a non-Thai citizen at any one time. Applying for a second non-Thai ID number for use while still making use of the first non-Thai ID number is going to be viewed very dimly if discovered as it could appear to be a case of lying to a government officer in order to further an identity fraud.

It's the same rule for Thai citizens. Only one entry in one blue book at any one time.

• Like 1

Whoever own the house should be in possesson of the blue and yellow book, but can only moved in to 1 at a time, If you buy a condo it'd come with empty blue book. If a foreigner moves in, then the yellow book is made for the address

If you can find another foreign person to be put on the yellow book, then you can obtain the yellow book for the other address, then if they moved out, you should be able to keep the 'empty' yellow book. as it seems that the amphur wouldn't issue an empty yellow book.

by the way, has anyone managed to moved to an address that already has a yellow book? is it easier than getting a new yellow book? 

6 hours ago, digbeth said:

by the way, has anyone managed to moved to an address that already has a yellow book? is it easier than getting a new yellow book? 

Do you mean where a foreigner is currently living, in which case you can be added to that Yellow book, or, a vacant premises where a foreigner previously lived and had a Yellow book.

43 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Thai people in our village get around this problem by having wife registered at one address and husband at the other thus two addresses and two tabien baans in the same family.

Around which problem?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, lassebasse said:

When I moved in Udon Thani I went to Ampour and they gave me a new Yellow book and they just let me keep the old one so now I have two yellow books.

I also have an “old” yellow book, but it has a tiny stamp “deregistered” or something to that effect,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lassebasse said:

When I moved in Udon Thani I went to Ampour and they gave me a new Yellow book and they just let me keep the old one so now I have two yellow books.

Are you sure it was not just cancelled on their database?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

Thai people in our village get around this problem by having wife registered at one address and husband at the other thus two addresses and two tabien baans in the same family.

There's no limit to the number of blue books 1 can have. Basically the book "belongs" to the property, not the person. Without a blue book to a property you can't get a permanent electricity meter.

However, 1 can only be registered in 1 address thus in 1 blue book. A blue book can be empty if no one is registered as residing in that address. 

• Like 1

I attempted to get a 2nd yellow book with my name in it for my 2nd condo in a different province, but the Amphur said no. I did not tell them I had a yellow book for my other condo, so it must be on their computer. I consulted a lawyer who said I cannot have my name in 2 yellow books. I do have blue and yellow "Tabian Bahn" books for both condos, but only one yellow book has my name in it.

Edited by Raphael Hythlodaeus

I have 2 yellow books and 2 pink ID cards.

Two different provences.

My first wife died and I have remarried and living in another province.

I  doubt that the provences are linked.

I would not use the old yellow book or pink ID card.

But as you can it is possible to have two.

But not in the same Provence.

47 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

I have 2 yellow books and 2 pink ID cards.

Two different provences.

My first wife died and I have remarried and living in another province.

I  doubt that the provences are linked.

I would not use the old yellow book or pink ID card.

But as you can it is possible to have two.

But not in the same Provence.

Of course it can be done, in some places, but you’re always going to be breaking the law.

On 5/22/2021 at 6:11 AM, Kiujunn said:

3. Would it be illegal? Or is it required?

Background: many expats  stay not only at one address in Thailand.

Maybe own a condo at the beach and another one in Bangkok. 

Or own one place, but live mostly at their partner's place upcountry.

To my knowledge, it would be illegal with more than one house registration, and probably also impossible today with computers and databases, as you can have one only registered address, and a house book is paired with a Thai ID-number.

You can have as many houses and/or condos as you wish, but you need to choose a primary home – that's also the home you get property tax reduction for, the others you'll pay tax of the full value – but you can move around and stay wherever you wish. With the new more easy TM30-rules you don't even need to register every time you sleep with another mia noi...????

Physical 90-days report and application for extension of stay will normally be needed to be done where you are officially registered, i.e. your house book address.