Thailand finds first local cases of South African COVID-19 variant, scientists say

1 hour ago, cclub75 said:

But we were told that the quarantine system for all the dirty foreigners was ironclad ?

Well... not. The reality is that the virus finds always its way.

Thailand is not an island.

So i guess now we have all of them (the famous "variants")... so perhaps we can cool down and learn how to live with all thoses terribles virus...

The Zero Covid ideology is hurting us.

Zero Covid ideology hurting us?  Ummm....how many of died from covid so far?  Well over 10MM.  So perhaps it's not such a bad idea. 

P.S. Thai officials have always said the borders were a problem.  Perhaps you missed those news reports.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, cclub75 said:

But we were told that the quarantine system for all the dirty foreigners was ironclad ?

Well... not. The reality is that the virus finds always its way.

Thailand is not an island.

So i guess now we have all of them (the famous "variants")... so perhaps we can cool down and learn how to live with all thoses terribles virus...

The Zero Covid ideology is hurting us.

Agree with your comments , however I would like the reference made to what country the variants are supposedly from banned. Just use the code given . There seems only one country that can be named with certainty is the Chinese covid 19 . 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, brommers said:

The medical authorities are staying quiet for one good reason. They are waiting for the Czar to admit that the AstraZeneca vaccine is ineffective against the S African variant. This was proven in S Africa months ago and their government immediately deleted the vaccine from their national plan. They are now already vaccinating their general public with imported Pfizer vaccine and in 4 months built a production plant that is turning out millions of doses of J&J. Meanwhile Thailand is whistling in the dark waiting for a vaccine that offers no protection against a variant that is already in the wild and spreading amongst the Thai population. Is there a  light at the end of the tunnel or is it the sun shining out of a certain someone's ass?

It was one small study.  Oxford appear confident over its ability to prevent serious infection.   The SA variant tends not to be dominant when faced with the UK strain.

Real world data vs theoretical abstraction.  

• Like 2

Time to open Phuket!! Push push push the sandbox!!

Common sense will not prevail even as 43% of those vaccinated in the cluster, even with the good stuff - Moderna and Pfizer still contract the virus and require quarantine;

According to CNA's study of data published on MOH’s website, 43 out of the 100 cases linked to the cluster so far have received one or two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine.

A comparison between those who have been vaccinated and those who have not, revealed that there were 12 more symptomatic cases in the unvaccinated pool. Common symptoms include fever, cough and runny nose.

Twenty-four patients linked to the cluster preliminarily tested positive for the B1617 variant, which was first detected in India. Half of them were not vaccinated.

Since the cluster emerged in early-May, authorities have implemented a slew of measures, including special testing operations and the closure of airport passenger terminals to the public.

Full article here; https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-changi-airport-cluster-timeline-14855936

Just now, vandeventer said:

Guess what ? My Barber shop just opened and I can now get a haircut which my hair  is down to my shoulders with all these lockdowns. The only problem now is he is wearing 3 masks and 1 is almost covering his eyes.

Still getting my hair cut with no issues by my barber here in Bangkok.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Guess what ? My Barber shop just opened and I can now get a haircut which my hair  is down to my shoulders with all these lockdowns. The only problem now is he is wearing 3 masks and 1 is almost covering his eyes.

But you still have both of your ears, right?

If you had one cut off by your partially-sighted barber, you would have good reason not to wear a mask!

18 minutes ago, malibukid said:

no kidding, has Thailand heard of operation warp speed.  get some people over here from the West who know what they are doing to assist asap.  you are not going to conquer this thing with an 18th century mind set.  you may loose a little face, but grow up and get your act together,  this is serious.

I know how frustrating this is - unfortunately thailand dropped the ball ordering vaccines.

What we need is a global effort to pump as many out as fast as possible yesterday.  It feels like now you can order billions of doses but they aren't going to show up anytime soon.