Thai media reports foreigners ready to make Thailand "their second home"

webfact

15 hours ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

Know quite a few Expats who were forced out because they couldn't meet the Visa requirements even though they had family and or property here.
My advise is sell up and rent you never know when this government will change the requirements and kick you out.

Any more details on these people you know?

What new rules were brought in which meant they had to go?

Edited by shy coconut
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Is only for people desperate to live under dictatorial regimes ready to go to a country scam as shown in the photo.

The article mentions Russians and Chinese, so they're used to living in dictatorial and corrupt regimes already. Relatively speaking Thailand would be a breath of fresh air.

14 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Why is that the "Thai" definition dinsdale ? 

1/ China has become the largest foreign buyer of U.S. residential real estate.

2/ Foreign buyers make up over 40% of London’s prime property market

3/ China purchased $113.2 billion worth of Australian residential and commercial property in the decade to the 2018-19, accounting for 19.3 per cent of all foreign asset purchases.

True on point 3 but still makes China only the 9th largest foreign investor in Australia which really doesn't fit with the narrative of China is buying all our country and are going to take over that Australia likes to perpetrate. Ironically and hypocritically all these things in Australia are for sale yet they want to choose who buys them. You can only buy something that is for sale. As much as they would like a nice American or British person to buy their <deleted> their true colours come through when an Asian wishes to purchase something 

https://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/resources/investment-statistics/statistics-on-who-invests-in-australia

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Orinoco said:

This article reminders me of, an old 90s song by The Shamen.

Eezer Goode,  Eezer Goode / He's Ebeneezer Good.

Naughty, naughty, very naughty
Ha ha ha ha ha

Move any Mountain..I can move-move..move any mountain........still have the CD 1989

• Like 2

Yes I had made Thailand my home but was overseas when Covid struck. Unable to return.  my visa i held cancelled by immigration, drivers licence expired and cannot be renewed,

tax file still valid. Had to sell two properties. Still cannot return. Welcome to Thailand.

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, ricardofel said:

Keep breathing the pollution and eating fake "organic" or vegetables and fruits with HIGH contents of chemicals. Thought I would live here forever. Left 8 years ago and excellent decision!

I used to cook for Whole Foods or as we called it Whole paycheck--to be able to shop there

I sent the CEO a nasty email about the lies within the company and was pushed out by superiors

Good riddance--got my first stamp in passport after...machu picchu and galapagos in 2006

On 5/24/2021 at 9:40 AM, Surelynot said:

100%.........you have to be mental or have money to burn if you buy.

Ditto.  If Thailand is serious about making itself a place to retire to, they should jettison the mediaeval house-owning laws.  This is unlikely to EVER happen as there are too many lawyers making money from setting up bogus companies; too many auditors coining it in annually by doing the 'books' on this scam.  None of them ever tell you shareholders can go to JAIL when the proverbial hits the fan.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Ditto.  If Thailand is serious about making itself a place to retire to, they should jettison the mediaeval house-owning laws.  This is unlikely to EVER happen as there are too many lawyers making money from setting up bogus companies; too many auditors coining it in annually by doing the 'books' on this scam.  None of them ever tell you shareholders can go to JAIL when the proverbial hits the fan.

So what happened to me last week was my thai broker asking me for my password and transaction code. I am sure he is just trying to be helpful to assist me in solving the system error that I am suffering from. However, that is definitely inappropriate. Hence I sold all my Thai shares yesterday, waiting for T+2 and moving all my money back home. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, mikebell said:

No...the real reason is the Thais in power are scared to death that foreigners would buy large amounts and/or key portions of land.....have a major impact on Thai passive culture.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There's not an easy answer to this.

In the UK it was cold and wet nearly all the time, so I lived inside my house (5 beds, 4 kids) nearly all the time.

In Thailand it's hot and dry nearly all the time, so I don't need so much inside space (3 beds, 2 kids).

If you include the age, weight, looks and compliance to sexual activity of the woman you live with in your 'comfortable' ratings, Thailand is stepping way up for most of us.

Lol. Yes sexual gratification may be the lure and fine for the first year but for many the ease of picking up a Thai woman or two after a while wears off especially when you have found someone you are happy to live with long term and then you are back to reality.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mikebell said:

If you have a Thai wife/partner then a usufruct usually mitigates this restriction and if you have Thai children as a result of your union (many do eventually) you can register the land in their name. I know of many that have this arrangement and live a life either equal or far more comfortable than back home. No need to set up bogus companies. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I know a lot who used visa agents. If you don't qualify, you simply go to an agent and pay 20,000 baht for a year. 

I don't believe anyone with property here is going to leave for visa reasons, they are so easy to get here.l 

What about someone who is under 50, owns his condo, but does not want to get married? Can an agent help then?

20 minutes ago, Javier said:

So what happened to me last week was my thai broker asking me for my password and transaction code. I am sure he is just trying to be helpful to assist me in solving the system error that I am suffering from. However, that is definitely inappropriate. Hence I sold all my Thai shares yesterday, waiting for T+2 and moving all my money back home. 

That sounds like an over reaction you may live to regret.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, strabel23 said:

That sounds like an over reaction you may live to regret.

Nope, means I decided not to retire here. Actually was planning to buy a house, but no, I will continue to rent. Btw, thai baht is dropping as we speak.

1 hour ago, Crok said:

Yes I had made Thailand my home but was overseas when Covid struck. Unable to return.  my visa i held cancelled by immigration, drivers licence expired and cannot be renewed,

tax file still valid. Had to sell two properties. Still cannot return. Welcome to Thailand.

Drivers license can either be renewed or you apply for a new one, same for visa. Not a big deal. Covid is a world wide problem and will come to an end sooner than you might think.

• Like 1

Some property owners have lifestyles that compel them to fly in and out very very often.

If they hold passport of visa exempt countries they should never be turned away from any Thai airport for "coming too many times". Many have given up on Thailand because of this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

If it's financial investment rewards that punters are looking for then Thailand is not high up the list.

Many other better countries to invest in property.

Also you can get your name on the deeds 100% and get a long term visa to sit in it.

Yes but does that other country offer the same other rewards of living here? Beaches, women, warm weather, cheap prices, safe travel anywhere day and night?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1