Thailand reports 3,226 COVID-19 cases, 26 more deaths

webfact

During Tuesday's English language COVID news briefing, spokesman Natapanu Nopakun had a brief commentary about the upcoming government COVID vaccination program for foreign nationals due to start June 7, but provided no new details or information.

At  one point, talking about how many total participating hospitals there might be, he said, "I don't have that yet... So please be patient." He said the details of other vaccination sites beyond the two already listed for Bangkok will be announced in the future.

For the two locations in Bangkok, Vimut Hospital and the Bangrak Vaccination and Health Center, officials have not said what days or hours they will be operating. And nationwide, government officials still haven't clarified whether or not private hospitals will be participating in the government vaccination program registrations.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

2 hours ago, RR2020 said:

What you are seeing in Thailand, Japan, Korea...............is that unless you have a good old first wave like the UK and USA did........then you are going to keep suffering for a long time.

UK and USA are getting back to normal now...........all those countries so smug in 2020 will end up suffering continuous outbreaks in 2021 and 2022.

The old saying, he who laughs last, laughs longest.

But those who died already are not able to laugh anymore......

4 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Osaka, Japan the health care system is nearly at capacity and ready to crumble - by their own admission.

Thailand is not beyond this either.  

3k per day that's 90000 cases per week.  The math is simple when you look at how many end up in ICU's, hospitalized, etc.  

Something will change - either further restrictions or vaccines.  

Sorry, did you mean 3k per day is 90,000 per month, not week?

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

During Tuesday's English language COVID news briefing, spokesman Natapanu Nopakun had a brief commentary about the upcoming government COVID vaccination program for foreign nationals due to start June 7, but provided no new details or information.

At  one point, talking about how many total participating hospitals there might be, he said, "I don't have that yet... So please be patient." He said the details of other vaccination sites beyond the two already announced for Bangkok will be announced in the future.

I hope I am wrong, but the lack of detail available so far, suggests to me that there is no program beyond the superficial announcements that foreigners will get vaccinated.

• Like 1

Vaccinations Update for Tuesday, with Thailand for the first time passing 3 percent of its population having received the first dose of a COVID vaccine.

Screenshot_12.jpg.229508a8070391f1a8b7232fd3f5b0cf.jpg

The two graphs below show total doses thus far, and then the most recent day subtotals for first and second doses given.

Screenshot_7.jpg.48d04c3bf93173f845b7d62a4be3d4d5.jpg

Screenshot_8.jpg.e6e6f43ca1f93b911a29d7c9acdb8b6b.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/332072668411064

Daily updates from the Thai Ministry of Public Health showing how Thailand is faring versus world countries and its regional peer countries in terms of total COVID cases since the start of the pandemic. In the latest ranking, Thailand continued its ongoing slow climb to now rank 86th among more than 200 countries in total COVID cases.

05-25-21e.jpg.770a92816c617d0f1844c1ec13e10a05.jpg

05-25-21f.jpg.d03057c7b26f5b6ad95b8cc312fbe91f.jpg

Bangkok Province Update for Tuesday:

872 new cases, 35,567 total cases since the start of April, 15 new deaths, and a nearly 9 percent positivity rate on selected COVID testing. The province also has recorded 349 COVID deaths since the start of April, almost reaching a 1 percent case fatality rate during the current outbreak.

Screenshot_10.jpg.2bb380f6e2e6bb698bb122c78130933a.jpg

And the results of outreach COVID testing conducted at various cluster outbreak locations around Bangkok in the past week:

Screenshot_11.jpg.bdd9fa1766c917b6e2770c527f972e52.jpg

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Without actual testing numbers we have no idea whats going on.

Would it really make a huge difference? The death numbers give a good indication of relative growth, even though it's a lagging indicator.

Let's say they do 1m tests a day, and see 10k cases. What then? Nice to know but not super helpful, as we saw in US and UK. At a point cases are really high, quarantining individuals isn't especially helpful, it's too late by then.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Would it really make a huge difference? The death numbers give a good indication of relative growth, even though it's a lagging indicator.

Let's say they do 1m tests a day, and see 10k cases. What then? Nice to know but not super helpful, as we saw in US and UK. At a point cases are really high, quarantining individuals isn't especially helpful, it's too late by then.

In lieu of massive testing, the government tracks walk in hospital admissions (or rather, positive tests at hospitals). These have declined over the last 3 weeks.

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

In lieu of massive testing, the government tracks walk in hospital admissions (or rather, positive tests at hospitals). These have declined over the last 3 weeks.

3 weeks, about the same time that the government has also activity been discouraging people to test at a hospital even if they think they've been infected as long as they do not have symptoms.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

If I were facing 2 weeks at the below detention camp upon a positive test, then I  wouldn't walk too fast into a hospital. 

I know of 2 guys who most likely had Covid, fever, no taste/smell etc, they both just self isolated.

5ZRQLCTY4ZMCBA7BOGPXX4SNQU.jpg.ba23ededc36ba002d5a4fbe948c53411.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

You cannot claim that any drop in cases in May 2020 was due to herd immunity.

Why not?It's possible the virus swept though Thailand from late December through to May with very little testing available there is no way I know of proving or disproving this.There was a lot of flu like symptoms going around at the time with many posters saying they had the classic covid symptoms at that time.So I for one think the claim can be made.

• Like 1

Bangkok to open three new vaccine registration channels this Thursday

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is to open new channels for COVID-19 vaccination applications, through a website, an application and convenience stores starting this Thursday.

Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang said today (Tuesday) that people living in Bangkok, aged from 18 to 59, who are not among people afflicted with any of seven non-communicable underlying diseases, can apply for vaccination through three channels from Thursday.

More:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-to-open-three-new-vaccine-registration-channels-this-thursday/

The parliament has been put on high alert after 519 construction workers employed by Sino-Thai tested positive. Sukit Atthopakorn, an advisor to House Speaker, said the workers were working on the exterior and they did not interact with parliament staff.

https://twitter.com/KhaosodEnglish/status/1397081211890114567

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, anchadian said:

Bangkok to open three new vaccine registration channels this Thursday

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) is to open new channels for COVID-19 vaccination applications, through a website, an application and convenience stores starting this Thursday.

Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang said today (Tuesday) that people living in Bangkok, aged from 18 to 59, who are not among people afflicted with any of seven non-communicable underlying diseases, can apply for vaccination through three channels from Thursday.

More:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-to-open-three-new-vaccine-registration-channels-this-thursday/

I will give up my spot and step out of the queue if you let me pay for Moderna at a private hospital. Deal?

House Speaker warns MPs to discipline their aides following claims of attempted vaccine queue jumping

Members of the Thai parliament have been told, by House Speaker Chuan Leekpai, to keep discipline among their aides, as some allegedly tried to jump the queue of people waiting for COVID-19 vaccination in the parliament building over the weekend.

More:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/house-speaker-warns-mps-to-discipline-their-aides-following-claims-of-attempted-vaccine-queue-jumping/

City Hall this morning ordered that vaccination documents be more closely monitored after confirming that some residents in Khlong Toei sold their vaccination documents to foreigners for up to THB,3000 |

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/khlong-toei-residents-sold-vaccination-coupons-to-foreigners-city-hall/

Edited by anchadian
  • Haha 1

Province by province breakdown of new COVID cases from Tuesday, and Monday's results below by comparison:

After Bangkok, the high tally of 590 cases in Nonthaburi is largely from an outbreak in a construction worker camp there, while the 227 cases from Phetchaburi are linked to a large factory outbreak there that's already totaled 2,000+ cases.

Tuesday, May 25:

1407711577_Provinces05-25-21.thumb.jpg.74418752f4ebb3fad94b5ccb8d0251ca.jpg

Monday, May 24:

872615143_Provinces05-24-21.thumb.jpg.989d03865315bee13da89b26dc89b78c.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10158038376182050

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

Govt to borrow additional THB500 billion to remedy fallout of Covid-19

The Royal Gazette website on Tuesday published an emergency decree allowing the Ministry of Finance to borrow money to tackle social and economic problems caused by the Covid-19 outbreak.

Govt to borrow additional THB500 billion to remedy fallout of Covid-19

The emergency decree stipulates that the money to be borrowed shall not exceed THB500 billion and is aimed at providing necessary aid and compensation to people in all occupations who have been affected by the new wave of the pandemic.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40001275

Edited by anchadian
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Without actual testing numbers we have no idea whats going on. If they did around 100,000 tests yesterday then today's positive infection numbers represents 3% of those tested. 10,000 is 30% positivity rate. <10,000 would be >30% positivity rate of those tested. 5000 tests would be 60%. These are figures needed for true transparency nation wide to see just how good or how bad things are going. Without them we cannot know the actual situation.

p.s. who thinks they did 100,000? 

I think they did 100,000 - 990,000 + 2 - 7 x 3 ÷ 4.

At the building site next to the plush office building where a friend of mine works (next to Nana BTS) they found 75 asymptomatic cases yesterday - according to building management who took pains to tell tenants that none of the workers had been into the building. Of course the workers and loads of office staff all buy from the same food vendors outside the site in the morning and use the same ATMs, the same 7-11s etc etc

• Haha 1

Opinion: The government is fumbling its vaccine deadlines as badly as its excuses

First it was the suggestion to extract an extra two doses out of each AstraZeneca bottle, then comes the delay of the second jab from 10 to 16 weeks.

Dr Kiattiphum Wongrajit, the Ministry of Public Health’s permanent secretary, said on Monday that the delay of the second dose to 16 weeks is meant to increase efficacy, and comes recommended and backed up by research.

More:

https://www.thaienquirer.com/27898/the-government-is-fumbling-its-vaccine-deadlines-as-badly-as-its-excuses/

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I hope you're right.  I'm still hoping my kid's Bangkok school will be able to open properly on 14 June.

I highly doubt that. We have made a rough plan that our school will be online untilt the end of June at least. With 2000-3000 cases a day for the last few weeks, it's going to take some time to bring those numbers down - that means testing and treating/vaccinating all those in high risk areas - worker camps, large factories, vendors, etc. There are a LOT of worker camps in Bkk, so its going to take time to deal with them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Nothing is fading away the numbers are stable because of a lockdown. Probably will be in lockdown until there are enough people vaccinated. So far the numbers have ben going up not down not sure why you think its over or will be over.

Also there is reason to mistrust the government we see new hot spots all the times but these hot spots don't seem to be counted in those provinces. So the numbers are not to be trusted. now a new 500 in Nonthaburi. Keep watching the numbers in Nonthaburi and check. I havent seen specification per province for a while. Probably because stuff like Petchabun and other hots spots might not register there. Then people know something is off. 

Nonthaburi's numbers are included today. There may be delays in processing numbers - so 1000 cases may hit the press, but they are not immediately put through the system. But it seems there is a burst of cses in one place, and then the next day a load of cases in another place....so the total cases are not changing that much. Walk-ins seem to be decreasing slightly, so thats one of the few good signs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DavisH said:

There are a LOT of worker camps in Bkk, so its going to take time to deal with them. 

The Thai government oftentimes can be pretty obscure in providing the info that people really want and need to know... but other times, they can be a real fountain of trivia.

In today's MoPH update, they coughed up graphs showing that Bangkok has, by their count, 409 different construction worker camp sites and another 468 market sites of various types. So plenty of opportunities still out there for more COVID outbreaks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

I think they did 100,000 - 990,000 + 2 - 7 x 3 ÷ 4.

At the building site next to the plush office building where a friend of mine works (next to Nana BTS) they found 75 asymptomatic cases yesterday - according to building management who took pains to tell tenants that none of the workers had been into the building. Of course the workers and loads of office staff all buy from the same food vendors outside the site in the morning and use the same ATMs, the same 7-11s etc etc

Often case numbers are cumulative but described anecdotally as if they occurred all at once. We get that a lot when people talk about cases in a village - what’s described as 40 cases in a village turns out to be 40 cases during this wave, not 40 cases yesterday.

• Confused 2